Talk about the weather!

I see the other current thread is gone, I thought the two threads would be combined.

A couple of days ago the top ten coldest places in the world were all in Canada. Yesterday’s list says the coldest place on earth was a town in Siberia, but 18 of the 20 coldest places on earth were here in Canada. Number 18 was another town in Russia. These cold temperatures are ones that will kill you very quickly if you aren’t properly dressed, and will burn any part of your body not protected within a minute or two. Frostbite is seriously dangerous.

December/January has been a funny time over here. Started December in the negatives, ice snow, the absolute pits. Around a week and a half in, the temps start creeping back up. Christmas through New Year and earlyJan, we've got unseasonable warmth with highs of (according to my phone thermometer) 14 degrees C?! And this afternoon? Snow, again. Currently wrapped in a big fluffy blanket trying to stay warm while my boilers out.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see the other current thread is gone, I thought the two threads would be combined.

Ye, the over 400 weather thread remains open!

Was it Mark Twain's quip that everyone talks about the weather but no one can do anything about it? :D

Edited by Zorral

I went up to the storage closet and pulled out a wool blanket in preparation for tonight, just in case.  Things are OK as long as the wind doesn't blow, but my did it ever this morning.  The duvet and blanket and quilt were good enough last night that I slept well -- though I wore far more in bed than I ever do, and wasn't sorry.

A baked potato, steak and salad, with red wine for dinner tonight!  Brandy in apple cider for dessert.

I was supposed to drive to my boyfriend's town this afternoon, but the highway is closed because of snow. Apparently a truck had some sort of an accident in the snow. So I am stuck in the boring tiny town where my workplace is. I will drive tonight or maybe I will sleep here and go tomorrow morning, if the road doesn't open soon.

I generally like snow, but it is annoying on roads.

Snowed all day. I don't remember it being this cold in years.  However, warmer temperatures will arrive mid-next week, even quite above 'normal' -- exactly when Partner returns from 80's+ in Havana.  How does he manage to do this over and over, leave right before the worst weather and come home when it's better? :D

Yeah fuck this rain.  Everytime we start to get a little snow...

I hiked the blackhead range of the Catskills last week scouting to see if any local back country steep stuff was skiable, was close but but needed a bit more cover.  Did a half day of flat stuff.  And now more rain.  And fog and rain next two days, going to lose whatever base is up there.  

Global warming is driving me north.  Any Canadian boarders want to marry me so I can get citizenship?  

11 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

we hear distant fog horns sounding off once in a while, which is strangely soothing.  

They are, aren't they?  Like trains' too, in the distance.  One of the good things about living in New Orleans, is that train sound, from the long port train routes along the river.

Seems a couple of atmospheric rivers are expected to hit the West Coast towards the end of the week.   Today is bright sunny and warm, low 60sF.   Go somewhere else atmospheric rivers, like the moon or Mars, they could use the water.    :tantrum:

It was 50 yesterday and in the 40's right now in the morning at the beginning of February. This is really fucking weird. Normally we'd be hoping for it to be 10 degrees and not snowing, but it's nice enough outside to go for a bike ride. I'll have to go jogging later.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Thems is freedumb temperatures. 

Lol damn right!!!

I ran a 5k at 0 degrees F last month when the Artic cold hit hard my area and someone on Garmin app commented on my running activity something like “holy cow 5 k at -17 degrees!” I was thinking - “f that, no way I’d run at -17! this dude is drunk” till I realized he was talking Celsius :ph34r:

Stuck in a slow moving storm since Friday that won't stop until tomorrow. I consider us "lucky" being in the 20-40cm range (although we're at least at 40 by now). Just an hour up the shore is in the 40-60 range, and Cape Breton is getting smacked with 80-110, but the northern most part is projected to get up to 150cm. That's what hit my area during White Juan, which dumped that amount of snow in one night. Feeling for my friends and everyone up there. I didn't see my car for three days after that storm. Brutal. 

13 hours ago, Tyria said:

Stuck in a slow moving storm since Friday that won't stop until tomorrow. I consider us "lucky" being in the 20-40cm range (although we're at least at 40 by now). Just an hour up the shore is in the 40-60 range, and Cape Breton is getting smacked with 80-110, but the northern most part is projected to get up to 150cm. That's what hit my area during White Juan, which dumped that amount of snow in one night. Feeling for my friends and everyone up there. I didn't see my car for three days after that storm. Brutal. 

Has it stopped yet?