Talk about the weather!

We are having our second big snow storm in a week here in Omaha and almost everything is closed. Plus it is supposed to be getting super-frigid starting tomorrow, with a high temperature on Sunday of -9 degrees F (and that is the basic temperature, NOT the wind chill), so my church's services and lots of other things have also already been cancelled for Sunday.  I do think people have gotten more scared of bad winter weather now than they were years ago. I don't remember things being cancelled just because of below zero temperatures (without major snowfall) until recently. 

16 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Since the other thread will be closed soon, I will also complain here.

No snow!  :bawl:      Rain, rain, more rain, and now sleet!  

We got 8-12 inches slightly north of you. Lots of power outages (not me though), and I'm not looking forward to shoveling/blowing it off the driveway.

We got about 5 c of snow last night, finally the predicted storm, but damned if the temperature didn’t rise and it turned into rain. I went out at 10:00 pm and shoveled the slush so it wouldn’t turn into an uglier mess when the temperatures drop today. You could feel the cold moving in, we had nasty winds that started in the afternoon and were a sad reminder that we’re about to have a sharp drop this week.

The weather changes the further north you go and the weather service has been giving snow and wind warnings for the higher ground that starts just above Toronto. Better them than us.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

but damned if the temperature didn’t rise and it turned into rain.

The temperature rose to nearly 60 this morning.  But it's been falling since about 1 PM.

It's all very weird.

It sure did rain and blow last night but I think that kind of stopped around 3:30 AM.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

We got about 5 c of snow last night, finally the predicted storm, but damned if the temperature didn’t rise and it turned into rain. I went out at 10:00 pm and shoveled the slush so it wouldn’t turn into an uglier mess when the temperatures drop today. You could feel the cold moving in, we had nasty winds that started in the afternoon and were a sad reminder that we’re about to have a sharp drop this week.

The weather changes the further north you go and the weather service has been giving snow and wind warnings for the higher ground that starts just above Toronto. Better them than us.

I am one of them. Lots of snow that turned to slush and is now frozen and slippery.

Im grateful I invested a lot of time and materials this summer into beefing up my greenhouse structure or it would've never survived the winds and snow dumped here last week.

Gonna be ugly cold all week here in the Northern Great Lakes.

Friends of mine told me that snowstorms in Wisconsin have created snow drifts as high as the street light poles.

Anyone from Wisconsin here?

Years ago other friends showed me pictures of the father and his son standing beside a street light, shining at their feet. New Brunswick can get a lot of snow in winter….

Im in Wisconsin Birdie, we had a few rounds of snow late in the week. Most areas around here had a foot or more then the drifting really clogged up some spots.

Theres no additional snow forecasted in my area this week but the polar vortex is going to be blasting us with the sub zero temps the rest of the week it looks like.

We have three weather threads open at once -- one of which has gone past 400 posts.  Could a mod please close that one and one of the others?  It's getting confusing.  Yes, we all over North American and other places too, have lots of weather going on this week, but three threads worth?

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

We have three weather threads open at once -- one of which has gone past 400 posts.  Could a mod please close that one and one of the others?  It's getting confusing.  Yes, we all over North American and other places too, have lots of weather going on this week, but three threads worth?

Lol, I asked a few days ago.