US Politics: Chaos Made to Border

Black Pastors Pressure Biden to Call for a Cease-Fire in Gaza
Black congregants’ dismay at President Biden’s posture on the war could imperil his re-election bid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/28/us/politics/black-pastors-biden-gaza-israel.html

.... More than 1,000 Black pastors representing hundreds of thousands of congregants nationwide have issued the demand. In sit-down meetings with White House officials, and through open letters and advertisements, ministers have made a moral case for President Biden and his administration to press Israel to stop its offensive operations in Gaza, which have killed thousands of civilians. They are also calling for the release of hostages held by Hamas and an end to Israel’s occupation of the West Bank.

The effort at persuasion also carries a political warning, detailed in interviews with a dozen Black faith leaders and their allies. Many of their parishioners, these pastors said, are so dismayed by the president’s posture toward the war that their support for his re-election bid could be imperiled.

“Black faith leaders are extremely disappointed in the Biden administration on this issue,” said the Rev. Timothy McDonald, the senior pastor of First Iconium Baptist Church in Atlanta, which boasts more than 1,500 members. He was one of the first pastors of more than 200 Black clergy members in Georgia, a key swing state, to sign an open letter calling for a cease-fire. “We are afraid,” Mr. McDonald said. “And we’ve talked about it — it’s going to be very hard to persuade our people to go back to the polls and vote for Biden.” ....

23 hours ago, Zorral said:

And among the consequences of 

is this kind of toxic male directing his toxicity at a woman, harassing and abusing her non-stop:

Greg Gutfeld's sexual obsession with AOC accidentally reveals the insecurities of the MAGA man
Donald Trump's brief "testimony" Thursday was more of the same: MAGA tough guys run away when confronted

https://www.salon.com/2024/01/26/greg-gutfelds-obsession-with-aoc-accidentally-reveals-the-insecurities-of-the-maga-man/

I have seen that behavior many times. Women that are smarter than them and would never have a relationship with them scare the snot out of them.

3 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I have seen that behavior many times. Women that are smarter than them and would never have a relationship with them scare the snot out of them.

So, they just non-stop abuse them, even kill them, because 'that shows 'em'.  How dare they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We sure as hell see this with rumperfascistpants.

Also, it's always one thing for a woman to be smart, but she CANNOT also be conventionally attractive at the same time.  Alas, this is a very common attitude among women about women too.  "I may not be conventionally beautiful, but I am very smart and educated, so I am actually better  than that pretty woman over there."  But is that pretty woman over there also gets top grades and achieves accomplishments, watch the knives come out, ganging up and bullying too.

15 hours ago, LongRider said:

Guess they never thought it out that far.   

'Course not. They're teenagers. 

This is the thing these abstinence only clowns can't seem to comprehend: a 16 year old isn't just a somewhat larger version of a 10 year old. When those kids hit 12 or 13 years old, "the machinery" is going to start kicking in. Mother nature is going to strap a loaded gun to their hip. Does anyone want people walking around with loaded guns and no idea how they work? No.

I would be great if puberty didn't happen until 20 years old I guess but that's not the way humans work. Combine that with a typical teenage lack of impulse control and a lot of hormones, and it's a certainty that some of these young people are going to get down before they make it to college. 

Couple of things I have been giving some thought to lately...

First, could Trump be looking at some sort of Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 bankruptcy situation in the next few months - for real, not the fake ones he went through in the past? Would this affect his campaign at all?

Second, the border fiasco. As expected, the R's killed the bipartisan deal because they needed the border as a political issue and their sponsors needed cheap illegal immigrant labor. Then they turned around and demanded Biden do something. But no matter what Biden does, they will attack him. So... time to hit the R's in the wallet.

Right now, employers who get caught with undocumented employees get hit a fairly trivial fine - the cost of doing business. But suppose Biden, via executive order, increased that fine by a factor of ten or twenty with the proceeds going to border security? And suppose the raids started just days after this order was enacted? Yes, the order would be challenged - the R's wouldn't have a choice, but the fireworks might be entertaining.

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

could Trump be looking at some sort of Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 bankruptcy situation in the next few months - for real,

Why in the world would you think he'd do that, which wouldn't do him any good whatsoever in any aspect, financial or political.  Only the weak and losers go bankrupt.  Sheesh.

36 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Why in the world would you think he'd do that, which wouldn't do him any good whatsoever in any aspect, financial or political.  Only the weak and losers go bankrupt.  Sheesh.

I'm saying he might not have a choice.

34 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I'm saying he might not have a choice.

OK, I see what you meant.  The way it was phrased, it sounded as though you thought he was working at some sort of 3 dimensional chess for which so many seem to think he's doing at all times.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

the fireworks might be entertaining.

Such fall-outs, when they take place, are never entertaining, ever, though often lethal to a lot of innocent people.

40 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

She's going to end up owning Mar A Lago. Also a high rise in Manhattan maybe. 

Actually, she and her team are trying to work out how to use that money "for good."  That is, if she ever gets it

Carroll Promises to Do ‘Something Good’ With a Fortune Won From Trump
The writer was awarded $83.3 million for his defamation. Now, she will have to figure out how to use it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/27/nyregion/e-jean-carroll-trump-interview.html

...  she is already considering how she might use the money once she obtains it.

“I’m not going to waste a cent of this,” she said. “We’re going to do something good with it.”

Figuring that out will take some time, she added. But she will splurge on one luxury, she said — for her Great Pyrenees and her pit bull. “I’m going to be able to buy some premium dog food now,” she said. ....

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Perhaps.

What I want to know is what realistically happens when he (inevitibly) refuses to pay?

Then her great big dog won't be able to get the premium dog food to which she wants to be able to serve him  -- see above.  :rofl:

32 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Perhaps.

What I want to know is what realistically happens when he (inevitibly) refuses to pay?

In theory things like liens on property, garnished wages, etc. 

In practice it can and often is tied up for decades and they get nothing. See what's going on with the sandy hook families.

22 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

In theory things like liens on property, garnished wages, etc. 

In practice it can and often is tied up for decades and they get nothing. See what's going on with the sandy hook families.

Except there Jones put some time into shifting his assets to family members so he can claim poverty. Trump hasn't really done that.

Am I the only one who thinks Alina Habba doesn't actually give a shit about defending her client? that she's more concerned with raising her profile and using the press to audition for her own show on Fox News? 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Perhaps.

He said he's going to appeal, but to do that he has to pay first. Not sure about how much. From what I understood, it's a decision for the court to make.

Oh and Trump can't even try some dodgy move here b/c there's some financial entity keeping tabs on all his assets, properties, etc. b/c of the tax fraud case where the AG is asking for 370M. A case he has already lost btw, and the only decision left is how much he'll have to pay. I think there's something on this case this coming week?