US Politics: Chaos Made to Border

Biden is in a difficult position due to the drone attack that killed 3 American soldiers and wounded more than 30. The US strategy so far has been to rely mostly on defensive measures:

As of Friday, there had been more than 158 attacks on US and coalition forces in Iraq and Syria, though officials have described the constant volley of drones, rockets, and missiles as unsuccessful as they have frequently not caused serious injury or damage to infrastructure.

However, there is no such thing as a perfect shield and even if 1 in 150 attacks gets through, people still get hurt or, as in this case, even die. The US either has to accept the losses (which is, among other things, politically terrible for the current administration) or retaliate in a way that gives the attackers pause... but this of course risks a wider conflict. Biden has said that the US will retaliate, but it's not clear how limited such retaliation will be.

49 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Except there Jones put some time into shifting his assets to family members so he can claim poverty. Trump hasn't really done that.

Trump can easily say that his assets are protected or put them up for sale at such stupid prices no one will buy them. And that's after he exhausts years of appeals.

42 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Oh and Trump can't even try some dodgy move here b/c there's some financial entity keeping tabs on all his assets, properties, etc. b/c of the tax fraud case where the AG is asking for 370M. A case he has already lost btw, and the only decision left is how much he'll have to pay. I think there's something on this case this coming week?

There are so very many dodgy moves he can do, up to and including becoming potus. The idea that rich people end up paying these things is not borne out by facts.

21 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Biden is in a difficult position due to the drone attack that killed 3 American soldiers and wounded more than 30. The US strategy so far has been to rely mostly on defensive measures:

However, there is no such thing as a perfect shield and even if 1 in 150 attacks gets through, people still get hurt or, as in this case, even die. The US either has to accept the losses (which is, among other things, politically terrible for the current administration) or retaliate in a way that gives the attackers pause... but this of course risks a wider conflict. Biden has said that the US will retaliate, but it's not clear how limited such retaliation will be.

How hard do you think it would be to reverse engineer this mammajamma? Not very. And it's cheap.

Now, the next time you hear some American wonk talking about regime change in Iran, imagine a squadron of these fuckers attacking Saudi oil infrastructure on the south coast of the Persian Gulf or tankers as they transit the Straight of Hormuz. 

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

He said he's going to appeal, but to do that he has to pay first. Not sure about how much. From what I understood, it's a decision for the court to make.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Oh and Trump can't even try some dodgy move here b/c there's some financial entity keeping tabs on all his assets, properties, etc. b/c of the tax fraud case where the AG is asking for 370M. A case he has already lost btw, and the only decision left is how much he'll have to pay. I think there's something on this case this coming week?

My understanding is, he (or a bond company) has to post the entire sum if he wants to appeal. Question is whether he finds a sucker that''d be willing to do that.

Engoron is supposed to issue his verdict this week. Apparently he wanted to wait for the verdict in federal court concerning pharma bro Shkreli. There they barred him from doing business in the Pharma industry again (which he appealed, and that verdict came out last week or so). James has asked to bar orange doofus from ever doing real estate in NY again. At least that's my understanding.

If only there was some NY based lawyer on this forum, so that we could ask Zabz.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Would it?

Not only a case of throwing good money after bad money, it would keep the E. Jean Carroll (I hope her name was 2rs 2ls) case in the news, which is presumably not helpful with getting their orange asset back into the WH. The underlying sexual assault is (hopefully) just another liability.

The civil fraud case appeal might be better, but much more expensive to appeal, if you thought you could get some more mileage out of it.

42 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Russian sources should and would put up the money in a heartbeat, that'd be a very simple move that would pay off massively. 

Maybe.

Pretty sure this'd be a bet similar to the invasion of Ukraine [timing wise, etc] but who knows-- penny, pound, all that.

Edited by JGP

54 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Would it?

Not only a case of throwing good money after bad money, it would keep the E. Jean Carroll (I hope her name was 2rs 2ls) case in the news, which is presumably not helpful with getting their orange asset back into the WH. The underlying sexual assault is (hopefully) just another liability.

Russia would be fine with Trump in office or not, but anything that causes more chaos in the US is best. And $90m for Russia is nothing. The longer anything continues to stay in the news and get appealed and litigated the better chaos it produces.

Also, Trump wouldn't be fundraising off of it if it was hurting him.

when he (inevitably) refuses to pay?

the law has tools to handle non-responsive judgment debtors. the bankruptcy trustee can undo fraudulent conveyances, for instance.  the good thing for trump's judgment creditors is that the financial information is already worked over a bit in the various cases and through the accountant disclosures.  

Partner, friends and I have been saluting Ms. Carroll since the verdict, and have decided to continue this week as well.  :cheers: to this 80-year-old woman who possessed the guts, the calm, the grace and dignity to take on that toxic, flabby slob of a fascist rapist.

The Audacity of E. Jean Carroll

Gift Link -- 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/29/opinion/e-jean-carroll-audacity-donald-trump.html?unlocked_article_code=1.RU0.T3mw.2vBRH3HFN4Dq&smid=url-share

.... What makes what Ms. Carroll did so remarkable is that she was, of course, worth less in the eyes of the world now than she was in her prime. She wasn’t retired — “Never!!!” she told me — but she certainly wasn’t trekking across the jungle in search of primitive man, and the hundreds of letters to her advice column each week asking her how to find a good one had tapered to a trickle. The chutzpah required, after all of that, and in the face of both her biological reality and a culture that most certainly doesn’t look kindly on women her age, to still insist she was worth something…it was ballsy enough to be almost Trumpian. Until, of course, you appreciate that a fight over the financial value of a reputation at age 80 is really less about your earnings and more about your dignity.

If age has in some ways been a hurdle for Ms. Carroll to overcome in this case, I’d like to think that it was also age that let her see it through to this conclusion. That it was age, and wisdom, and the confidence that comes along with it that allowed her to make the genuinely audacious claim that an 80-year-old woman still has good, creative, vivacious, maybe even profitable years ahead of her.

“I couldn’t have done it back then,” she once told me, of coming forward sooner. “I didn’t have the guts.”

But now? “It was just time. It was time,” she testified.

After the verdict on Friday, I rode in a town car uptown with one of her sisters and Ms. Birnbach. They were en route to the offices of Carroll’s lawyers, where they planned to celebrate the verdict with Veuve Clicquot. Her sister scrolled through reactions to the verdict on social media and began to read them aloud.

“Hero.” “An inspiration to women.” “Accountability.”

And then, predictably: “Deranged old hag.”

The difference, from just a few minutes before, was that they could laugh about it now. There were worse things to be.

26 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They could also just offer him a penthouse apartment in Moscow. THe way he's going he might need it. 

Yes, surely THIS is the thing that will bring Donny Trump down

It takes exactly 2 seconds for any reasonable, discerning citizen to realize that Trump is too compromised, too much of a security threat and eminently exposed to bribery temptations to be qualified to be on any ballot for higher office. That is even above and beyond his disqualifications as a treasonous felon.

No way can he be qualified for any type of security clearance. He needs to be deported to Texas or some other gawd forsaken confederate.

27 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

No way can he be qualified for any type of security clearance. He needs to be deported to Texas or some other gawd forsaken confederate.

Just to be clear, if you're POTUS you literally are in charge of all security clearances and get to dictate everything about them. If the voters (or at least a plurality of them in certain states) decide that he should be POTUS, he doesn't need to be cleared for anything. If he were working in a different position that'd be a different story, but that's not the case. 

This also raises an interesting point about his security behavior post-presidency; is it reasonable to have ex-POTUSes be bound by the laws for other people knowing what they can know? Clearly you can with documents (as the documents are owned by the government), but simply him repeating it to people? It obviously defeats all the purposes of the security acts and any kind of TS clearance but I'm not sure that it makes sense to actually prosecute someone for it, nor am I sure how you would even do so.

46 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

He already is in Florida, the worst place in the US, and possibly on Earth.

We need to crowdfund a trip for you to rural Mississippi and rural West Virginia so you can test that theory.  

Don't forget rural Ohio, Idaho, North Dakota, etc.  Where they don't even have the Gulf waters and sunshine. Just the opposite.  Though, of course, it must be noted, this is why so many from the before mentioned states move to Florida.  We got a lotta the worst places!  We're number 1!  We win the most bigly again!