US Politics: Chaos Made to Border

Continue.

This border standoff is concerning. Maybe it'll be nothing, but it has potential to cause havoc. One more spark for civil war.

Additionally, Tommy Vietor recently expressed concern about the political situation in Mexico, and how potential unrest there would impact the US border situation.

Aside from the general shittiness of the situation and resulting instability, it's a perfect climate for right wing politics like MAGA to champion for their cause.

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria

17 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Too many words. 

Long titles aren't a problem. Just look at Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. Make it Melting Man: The Legend of Four Seasons. 

Tag lines for this would be so much fun.

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I suggest “A Man For All Four Seasons”.

This one hurts because it makes me think of maybe the second best comic book I've ever read, but then again, structurally the way it was written would really work for this hypothetical movie. 

But I guess it's technically "for", not "four" so that makes it a little better.

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

Here is a gift link to a long article telling us about Carroll's lawyer, Roberta Kaplan.  She's a tough cookie, which one needs to be -- a very tough cookie -- when dealing with an ogre such as the eviLe chaos demon.  His own attorney is clearly not tough enough.  Because, you and I both known, any attorney that is tough enough, wouldn't be allowed to work for chaos demon, because demon wouldn't stand for it.  So a truly tough cookie wouldn't do it.

Roberta Kaplan, a Legal Force, Was Carroll’s Lawyer and Trump’s Nemesis
She argued the Supreme Court case that won gay couples federal recognition. Then, she trained her sights on a president accused of sexual abuse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/27/nyregion/roberta-kaplan-lawyer-carroll-trump-trial.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Q00.yMVi.7btzbSd5T_nA&smid=url-share

.... Since Mr. Trump was elected president in 2016, he has faced investigations led by prominent lawyers like Robert S. Mueller III, the former F.B.I. director, and Jack Smith, the special counsel. But so far, Ms. Kaplan is the only lawyer to have secured not one, but two verdicts against Mr. Trump.

“There is a way to stand up to someone like Donald Trump who cares more about wealth, fame and power than respecting the law,” Ms. Kaplan said in a statement on Friday after the jury’s verdict against the former president. “Standing up to a bully takes courage and bravery; it takes someone like E. Jean Carroll.” ....

What the actual fuck:

According to their study, 26,313 rape-related pregnancies occurred in Texas during the 16 months after the state legislature banned abortion. That figure comprises nearly 45% of all such pregnancies estimated to occur among the nine ban states that did not make a legal exception for rape.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-abortion/researchers-claim-texas-leads-country-in-rape-related-pregnancies-after-dobbs-decision/#:~:text=According to their study%2C 26%2C313,a legal exception for rape.

This has been reported on extensively all week on public radio -- not so much anywhere else  There were several programs that interviewed those who did the research and those who were 'researched' so to speak.

One part of the study shows there are more pregnancies resulting from rape in forced birth states -- and maybe even more rapes.

The report includes a congressman who told a lawyer he didn't believe miscarriages happen to women unless it is a first pregnancy.  He was shocked to be told otherwise.

Once again, one just throws up because how can men -- so very very VERY MANY men -- be so goddamned ignorant of all these most blatantly obvious facts that are part and parcel of human reproduction?  WHY ARE THEY SO FUCKING IGNORANT?  Including, as so many of them so stoutly continue to maintain, that nobody gets pregnant from being raped, it isn't possible.

Edited by Zorral

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

WHY ARE THEY SO FUCKING IGNORANT? 

One of my nieces teaches sexual health for high school and college students and she spent some time in Texas in the 90s.  She could barely believe the level of ignorance of sex and sexual issues in the high schools and colleges there.  She came from an East Coast liberal Quaker family and had attended private Quaker schools for all her primary ed and was just appalled. 

Also, the so called 'abstinence education' was in full swing there at the time.   The kids knew nothing-nothing about sex because the parents don't mention it, the schools don't teach reality-based sex ed and the churches are nightmares for teenagers.  She got so disgusted she left Texas to move back East.  

And among the consequences of 

5 minutes ago, LongRider said:

She could barely believe the level of ignorance of sex and sexual issues

is this kind of toxic male directing his toxicity at a woman, harassing and abusing her non-stop:

Greg Gutfeld's sexual obsession with AOC accidentally reveals the insecurities of the MAGA man
Donald Trump's brief "testimony" Thursday was more of the same: MAGA tough guys run away when confronted

https://www.salon.com/2024/01/26/greg-gutfelds-obsession-with-aoc-accidentally-reveals-the-insecurities-of-the-maga-man/

13 minutes ago, LongRider said:

One of my nieces teaches sexual health for high school

Just for a bit a levity, I have a funny story from HS sex ed. I was close friends with two girls, G and S, and one of my best bros J and we all took the class together. We always sat in the back. G, S and I were good students. J ended up being a super senior. One day he came into class late, super stoned. His glass pipe fell out and shattered on the floor. G, S and I were staring in amazement as he sprinted out the door. 

The shit teachers have to put up with... G ended up becoming one, lol.

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

48 minutes ago, LongRider said:

One of my nieces teaches sexual health for high school and college students and she spent some time in Texas in the 90s.  She could barely believe the level of ignorance of sex and sexual issues in the high schools and colleges there.  She came from an East Coast liberal Quaker family and had attended private Quaker schools for all her primary ed and was just appalled. 

Also, the so called 'abstinence education' was in full swing there at the time.   The kids knew nothing-nothing about sex because the parents don't mention it, the schools don't teach reality-based sex ed and the churches are nightmares for teenagers.  She got so disgusted she left Texas to move back East.  

I'm thankful every day that I'm not in Texas. If the privatized electric grid wasn't bad enough, I'd wonder what new healthcare area the state was going to come interfere in. It's not like a bunch of meddlers are going to stop.

Anguish lingers as transgender kids’ families seek medical care outside Texas — and fight a state ban

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/27/us/texas-families-transgender-youth-gender-affirming-care-ban/index.html

“I thought to myself, ‘Why am I so scared? I’m not in Texas anymore,’” she recalled to CNN. “I kept telling myself, ‘You’re not in Texas anymore, it’s OK.’”

The mother’s panic traced, she said, to why her family and others have spent untold money, time and emotional energy routinely commuting from Texas or moving away entirely: They want to give their transgender children the kind of gender-affirming treatment that’s deemed safe, effective and potentially lifesaving by many major medical groups but has been banned by a new state law that can make these families feel unwelcome – and even targeted – more broadly in the state, several told CNN.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Anguish lingers as transgender kids’ families seek medical care outside Texas — and fight a state ban

This is true for other states and could get much, much worse.   It took me years to unlearn homophobia and it's sickening to realize how vulnerable the LBGTQ+ community is. 

@Zorral

So ... among the assets to be sold, etc. that Giuliani has for his bankruptcy to make his creditors whole, it seems included, besides a buncha NY Yankees merch, is; the debt owed to Giuliani by stiffer-in-chief.  This has been reported via Bloomberg News, but I don't have a link.  Which added to what stiffer in chief owes to Carroll is something large enough that maybe will make stiffer- in-chief shut up about judges, etc.  :rofl:

They should immediately sell the debt on to a collection agency. Get $0.30 on the dollar and let Trump deal with the phone calls. He thinks the DOJ are ruthless? He has no idea. 

4 hours ago, LongRider said:

Ah yes. The "Just say no" of sexual education. 

I remember hearing about a study of the effectiveness of abstinence only education from the early 2000's. IIRC, they did find that high-schoolers who received this type sex ed had, on average, became sexually active somewhat later compared to those that experienced a more comprehensive approach...

... By six months. The onset of sexual activity was delayed by a whole six months.

However, the real bonus is that when these pimply, hormonal youngsters did give up their precious virginity, they were far less likely to use condoms or any form of birth control. They were also more likely to engage in oral or anal sex. Navigating the spectrum of "technical virginity" so Jesus doesn't cry.  

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They were also more likely to engage in oral or anal sex. Navigating the spectrum of "technical virginity" so Jesus doesn't cry.  

Anal and oral sex may not technically make one lose their virginity, but the STI's are still there for ya!  Yay!  Also, just the concept of virginity as something valuable to 'lose' is really awful.  

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

Anal and oral sex may not technically make one lose their virginity...

The answer to that question is another question:

How likely is it that Tiffany's State Trooper, Church Elder, strong-opinions-about-college-football-havin' daddy is going kick your ass up and down the street if he ever finds out about it? 

Tell that guy it's OK because it was only bumb sex. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Tell that guy it's OK because it was only bumb sex. 

Guess they never thought it out that far.   

Makes sense. :eek:

https://www.rawstory.com/alina-habba-trump-2666873681/

Donald Trump's attorney wants the public to know her good looks are more important than her intelligence, because she can "fake being smart."

Can re-institution be far behind in this redemption of the Glorious Lost Cause?  Actually forced birth is slavery; it certainly was a part of it back in the golden age before 1863. Best way in the world to make a living while doing nothing yourself, get a nubile girl, keep her preggers and sell off the children.