Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

All this riveting discussion almost makes me want to re-watch the show... almost. In turn I decided to read the extra stuff Amazon has on the show's page, and no wonder the fans latched onto the mystery box of who is Sauron despite, apparently that not being the writers's intent, when just about every major character's writeup includes a secret or mystery from the past or present in the case of the Stranger.

Edited by Corvinus85

On 2/9/2024 at 5:14 PM, DMC said:

It's concerning to boil down Feanor's Legacy to such a simplistic Identity and assert it as an Ultimatum.

Thats pretty neat, DMC. Kudos for fitting them all in there B)

On 2/9/2024 at 11:45 PM, VigoTheCarpathian said:

The internet demands Saurombadil.

You obviously do not fear the universe karma. Watch yourself.

I’m saying this as I have just finished LotR Fellowship of the Ring and I’m midway through a The Two Towers reread.

Bombadil has NOT improved in over 25 years. God help us all…

4 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

"..but Galadriel, the only woman of the Noldor to stand that day tall and valiant among the contending princes, was eager to be gone.
No oath she swore , but the words of Feanor concerning Middle earth had kindled in her heart, for she yearned to see the unguarded lands and to rule there a realm at her own will".

"The fire of their hearts was young and led by Fingolfin and his sons , and by Finrod and Galadriel,they dared to pass into the bitternest North"

First Age Galadriel

eh, you stopped too early in your reading…

Second Age Galadriel:

“So it came to pass that when the light of Valinor failed, for ever as the Noldor thought, she joined the rebellion against the Valar who commanded them to stay; and once she had set foot upon that road of exile, she would not relent, but rejected the last message of the Valar, and came under the Doom of Mandos. Even after the merciless assault upon the Teleri and the rape of their ships, though she fought fiercely against Fëanor in defence of her mother’s kin, she did not turn back. Her pride was unwilling to return, a defeated suppliant for pardon; but now she burned with desire to follow Fëanor with her anger to whatever lands he might come, and to thwart him in all ways that she could.

Pride still moved her when, at the end of the Elder Days after the final overthrow of Morgoth, she refused the pardon of the Valar for all who had fought against him, and remained in Middle-earth. It was not until two long ages more had passed, when at last all that she had desired in her youth came to her hand, the Ring of Power and the dominion of Middle-earth of which she had dreamed, that her wisdom was full grown and she rejected it, and passing the last test departed from Middle-earth for ever.”

—J.R.R. Tolkien, Unfinished Tales, “History of Galadriel and Celeborn”

3 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Wise powerful sorcerer turned into the strong woman character conceived by the woke movement 

I feel like this is going from bad to worse. 

Please don't give the impression that the show abomination had anything to do with the real Galadriel. She might have been prideful, but she wasn't a vengeance obsessed maniac who could barely have a normal conversation with other people.

Honestly I don't think that even Feanor would have been so idiotic as to insult Miriel and demand to speak to her manager.

Edited by ASOIAFrelatedusername

On 2/12/2024 at 12:58 AM, TormundsWoman said:

Thats pretty neat, DMC. Kudos for fitting them all in there B)

You obviously do not fear the universe karma. Watch yourself.

I’m saying this as I have just finished LotR Fellowship of the Ring and I’m midway through a The Two Towers reread.

Bombadil has NOT improved in over 25 years. God help us all…

eh, you stopped too early in your reading…

Second Age Galadriel:

“So it came to pass that when the light of Valinor failed, for ever as the Noldor thought, she joined the rebellion against the Valar who commanded them to stay; and once she had set foot upon that road of exile, she would not relent, but rejected the last message of the Valar, and came under the Doom of Mandos. Even after the merciless assault upon the Teleri and the rape of their ships, though she fought fiercely against Fëanor in defence of her mother’s kin, she did not turn back. Her pride was unwilling to return, a defeated suppliant for pardon; but now she burned with desire to follow Fëanor with her anger to whatever lands he might come, and to thwart him in all ways that she could.

Pride still moved her when, at the end of the Elder Days after the final overthrow of Morgoth, she refused the pardon of the Valar for all who had fought against him, and remained in Middle-earth. It was not until two long ages more had passed, when at last all that she had desired in her youth came to her hand, the Ring of Power and the dominion of Middle-earth of which she had dreamed, that her wisdom was full grown and she rejected it, and passing the last test departed from Middle-earth for ever.”

—J.R.R. Tolkien, Unfinished Tales, “History of Galadriel and Celeborn”

I feel like this is going from bad to worse. 

"There in Nargothrond Finrod made his home with many of his people , and he was named in the tongue of the Dwarves Felagund, Hewer of Caves;and that name he bore thereafter until his end.
Galadriel his sister went not with him to Nargothrond, for in Doriath dwelt Celeborn,kinsman of Thingol,and there was great love between them.
Therefore she remained in the Hidden Kingdom,and abode with Melian,and of her learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle earth."

Fer cryin' out loud --  Jackson's LOtR --

" ... An initial count of crying scenes over the three films’ extended editions led to nearly 200 individual instances, which is — even for 11 hours and 36 minutes of movies — a lot!"

... Key to LOTR’s enduring appeal is its all-in approach to its characters’ feelings: Amid the tumult of widespread war, Jackson and cinematographer Andrew Lesnie honor how all this danger, destruction, and death is affecting the worlds of hobbits, elves, and men. In other words, everyone cries. Every single on-the-side-of-good character gets their own moment of sorrow, regret, or heartache as they ponder the impact of Sauron’s ascendance and his unquenchable desire for the One Ring. An initial count of crying scenes over the three films’ extended editions led to nearly 200 individual instances, which is — even for 11 hours and 36 minutes of movies — a lot! So we’ve curated a premium collection of the weepiest 39 moments when someone in Lord of the Rings breaks down, dissolves into sobs, or lets just one tear slide meaningfully down their face, listed here in chronological order. You shall not pass the Kleenex; you’re going to need the whole box for yourself. ....

https://www.vulture.com/article/lord-of-the-rings-cry-moments.html?

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

copyright infringement? 

RoP risks nothing it's all invented by the writers.

I was just reporting books content about Galadriel to highlight the difference with the fanfic, there are communities on the net that report quotes of the books, there is no such problem except for this forum.

Edited by KingAerys_II

On 2/13/2024 at 4:46 PM, KingAerys_II said:

"There in Nargothrond Finrod made his home with many of his people , and he was named in the tongue of the Dwarves Felagund, Hewer of Caves;and that name he bore thereafter until his end.
Galadriel his sister went not with him to Nargothrond, for in Doriath dwelt Celeborn,kinsman of Thingol,and there was great love between them.
Therefore she remained in the Hidden Kingdom,and abode with Melian,and of her learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle earth."

I reported this stuff, because she had her "affair", she had Celeborn and she stayed in the Doriath to learn from Melian , her obsession to Finrod is pointless , the brother was an adventurer and he didn't care about Sauron, there were Morgoth servants that were stronger than him, Gothmog, Glaurung, Ancalagon were actually more dangerous

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

RoP risks nothing it's all invented by the writers.

I was just reporting books content about Galadriel to highlight the difference with the fanfic, there are communities on the net that report quotes of the books, there is no such problem except for this forum.

There is usually a limit for how long a direct copied text can be on an site. I don't know what that is that limit.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:35 PM, KingAerys_II said:

"The fire of their hearts was young and led by Fingolfin and his sons , and by Finrod and Galadriel,they dared to pass into the bitternest North"

Unlike her father Finarfin, that cursed the house of Feanor and returned back to Valinor, she decided to lead her people beyond the Helcaraxe, she was not selfish, then one of Galadriel ability is that to see virtue in people hearts, she never like her uncle Feanor, she never trusted Annatar, tv series Galadriel was completely outsmarted by Halbrand 

23 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

are you suggesting that her trek over the Helcaraxe was a good idea?

Interesting take

Are you suggesting that a decades-long trek across treacherous arctic wasteland in darkness in continued defiance of the gods in order to wage war against another god, was *not* a shining example of wisdom?

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

There is usually a limit for how long a direct copied text can be on an site. I don't know what that is that limit.

That's a good question, for the mods/admins: what *are* the rules around this? Useful to know when needing to cite someone like Neal Stephenson, who never met a paragraph break he didn't hate. 

2 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

It was the only way to survive at that point, Feanor and his sons burned the fleet 

The fleet was on the other side of the sea. Galadriel and the others could have gone back home, or built another fleet

The Noldor survived thanks to their leaders.
Finrod founded the Nargothrond and the House of Fingolfin founded Gondolin, Galadriel married Celeborn in the Doriath and she learned things from Melian, the Queen.
Every character in RoP is badly written, but the worst characters are Galadriel,Finrod and Celebrimbor.
Celebrimbor is portrayed as an old man , he should fight Sauron when he will figure out the truth, then the mithril thing is terrible, immortality of the elves is the reason for the fall of Numenor, it's everything very bad

6 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Every character in RoP is badly written, but the worst characters are Galadriel,Finrod and Celebrimbor.

Does Finrod really count as a character in RoP?  He was in the Galadriel flashbacks in the pilot, but I don't remember him being shown much otherwise.  Granted, haven't watched it since it came out.  But this seems like calling Isildur a "character" in Jackson's LotR.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Does Finrod really count as a character in RoP?  He was in the Galadriel flashbacks in the pilot, but I don't remember him being shown much otherwise.  Granted, haven't watched it since it came out.  But this seems like calling Isildur a "character" in Jackson's LotR.

Why wouldn't Isildur count as a character in Jackson's LotR? :blink:

He's not one of the main characters nor does he have a lot of screen time, but he is essential part of the story both because of his actions and through his descendants' actions.

I don't dispute that Galadriel is poorly written. Or a few other characters, too. And the Mithril thing is complete nonsense. It's disappointing that they felt the need to tie in Mithril with the slow decline of the Elves. Or the whole took 'er jebs angle in Númenor. But none of this really means that it's because of woke activism, something something. They just had subpar writers, who didn't know how to craft a compelling story out of the outline in LOTR's appendices.