Forty Days in the Desert!

Fragile Bird

Dry January is over, and thank-you very much, it sailed by with very few pangs for me. Today is Ash Wednesday, the start of 40 days of Lent. If you want a new challenge of some kind, sign up here!

Religion doesn’t matter a whit, it’s just a 40 day exercise in self control.

I suppose I could start a new dry exercise, but this time I have decided to do something really, really tough. Tough for me. I’m a chocoholic, I always have Lindt bars in the fridge so I can break off a piece of heaven any time of day or night. I’ve managed to cut back over the last six months, but I still binge now and then. 

Alas, 40 days without chocolate! Am I crazy?

Last night I tossed all my chocolate in the freezer, and today at the grocery store I bought (gasp) baby carrots, for crying out loud, and blueberry/applesauce, for desperate measures.

I may need help. You might see me weeping in this thread every day. 

First world problems, amirite?

So if you want to suffer over something with me, sign up and go for it! Giving up chocolate isn’t like giving up cancer sticks, but we can grit our teeth together!

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

So, no one else has a challenge for themselves? A failed New Year’s resolution, maybe, that they might try for 40 days?

First day without chocolate down, only 39 to go!

Honestly?  No.  I don't generally participate in these things.  One, I don't have any desire to.  And two, I try to keep moderation in mind in general terms.  As I don't believe myself to have any great excesses, I don't think I've ever worried about needing to curb myself.  And as I'm very very far from religious, I've never felt compelled to adhere to Lent (even though my wife is Catholic).

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Honestly?  No.  I don't generally participate in these things.  One, I don't have any desire to.  And two, I try to keep moderation in mind in general terms.  As I don't believe myself to have any great excesses, I don't think I've ever worried about needing to curb myself.  And as I'm very very far from religious, I've never felt compelled to adhere to Lent (even though my wife is Catholic).

Well, as I said, this isn’t about religion, it’s an exercise in self-discipline. I can’t remember the last time I gave up something for Lent. I was probably a child. My friends and I make the usual annual jokes about not using any cocaine. We’re successful every year!

But now I have this challenge and I’m going to see if I can do it.  “rolls eyes”

So I went on a diet last autumn and lost almost 12 kg in 9 weeks, but since beginning of December I’ve regained nearly half of that, so now I’m doing it again. I’m not religious either, but I guess Lent is as good a time as any. 

In this diet and training program, the only allowed food is taken from a recipe bank, or you can cook your own as long as you follow the guidelines. There is no sweets allowed, no alcohol, no chocolate or ice cream or anything like that. And no exceptions or cheat days. I’m cool with that. It’s no big deal, you just get used to it. The hunger is the worst part. 

I therefore sign up and welcome this thread as a place to vent. Good luck with your Lent, Bird! May your willpower win over the chocolate!

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I spent the early part of my life believing that Easter Eggs represented the giant stone that Christ rolled away from the entrance of his tomb. 

Quite the inventive mind, even then!  

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

Quite the inventive mind, even then!  

That's what they told us in primary school. And so, at the end of Lent, we all painted hard boiled eggs in bright colours and gathered atop a hill on Easter Sunday, where the eggs were rolled down the hillside. At the bottom of the hill, you would collect your egg and wipe off the white dog poo, before being forced to eat some kind of revolting, slightly-off, sacred egg of Christ.

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

At the bottom of the hill, you would collect your egg and wipe off the white dog poo, before being forced to eat some kind of revolting, slightly-off, sacred egg of Christ.

:ack: 

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That's what they told us in primary school. And so, at the end of Lent, we all painted hard boiled eggs in bright colours and gathered atop a hill on Easter Sunday, where the eggs were rolled down the hillside. At the bottom of the hill, you would collect your egg and wipe off the white dog poo, before being forced to eat some kind of revolting, slightly-off, sacred egg of Christ.

You Brits always do weird things!