UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

went on RT a couple of times. What

Lending credibility to the Russian Propaganda channel is a pretty awful thing to do.

[eta] @mormont he took money from RT?  Yeah… fuck that asshat.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think pretty much the same about 95% of established media outlets. 

What are your 5% that are not propaganda as far as UK politics goes?

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Channel 4.

The BBC newsroom is full of Cameron and Johnson's chums from Eton.

Yes, how did I leave C4 out! :bang:

I hear you re the BBC, but I think they do try to report the news despite their sometimes obvious biases.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Can someone remind me why Galloway is such a terrible person?

Oh, yes, he has spent his life challenging vested interests at home,calling out the UK and US for their illegal foreign wars, and has spent much of his political efforts campaigning on behalf of the Palestinians.

He also campaigned to remain in the EU and went on RT a couple of times. What a monster.

There’s also a lot of allegations of anti-semitism, often followed by libel suits or threats thereof.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Don't you just love it when Daily Mail and Telegraph readers call out news organisations that are actually devoted to truth as lefty and partisan. 

Don’t read either. Point is I’m not the one under the bizarre the illusion that the news I’m reading must be accurate because it’s left wing.

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Don’t read either. 

Okay, The Sun? The Star? The Express? 

What do you read? Where, precisely, do you get your wonderfully rounded views on world and cultural affairs, if not these bastions of integrity and decency? 

Edited by Spockydog

17 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Okay, The Sun? The Star? The Express? 

What do you read? Where, precisely, do you get your wonderfully rounded views on world and cultural affairs, if not these bastions of integrity and decency? 

So the funny thing is, I regularly read the BBC, and I read the Guardian, and I read New Statesman, The Spectator.. Twitter.. tv news.. 

The point is, I’m not saying any of those are the bastions of impartial news. They aren’t, none of them. But at least I am aware of it. The Guardian has more journalistic integrity than The Daily Mail, but it’s also very obviously very skewed when it comes to how it reports an issue and what it chooses to prioritise.Its important to always keep that in mind when you read it. 

Channel 4 news is honestly not even trying to hide that it’s an activist news agency any more, it’s very far from a simple relaying of facts.

* Worth noting I read Guardian and BBC mainly because their websites are simply better, and easier to use. Almost all other news websites are a horrendous mix of popups and adverts.

Edited by Heartofice

My point however is that I’m seeing maybe the most obviously passionate left wing posters on this thread citing the Guardian and Channel 4 news as reliable news sources, which maybe doesn’t surprise me, but makes me question as to whether you are aware of those agencies clear biases?

Posting history suggests to me that you might not actually be able to discern where a news story is clearly skewed, not telling the whole story or framing a situation in a way that fits a left wing perspective. 

It’s really important I’ve find to get out of your bubble, and try and find the other side of any story, it’s one of the reasons I hang around here.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well there you go, you actually can’t see it. I guess that answers my question. 

Okay, shall we play a game?

It's pretty simple. I'll show you dozens of examples of barefaced lying from news orgs on the right, and you show me as many examples as you can find of the myriad lies told by Channel 4 and/or The Guardian.

There is virtually no news outlet anywhere in the world that is 100% bias-free. 
I’m fine w/ that. The problem is when news outlets blatantly lie, misrepresent & distort everything to feed their viewers’ own biases and preconceived notions. Things like FOX (and others) did and do in the US, and the same goes to the Daily Mail and others in the UK.