UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

The owners of Britain’s ‘wonkiest’ pub, which went on fire two weeks after being sold, and was demolished two days later without council permission, have been ordered to rebuild it (materials specified by thr council) within three years. 
Get it right up ye!

Beem quite a few suspicious fires in Glasgow, burning down historical buildkngs/pubs

edit: https://news.sky.com/story/crooked-house-owners-of-britains-wonkiest-pub-ordered-to-rebuild-it-after-unlawful-demolition-13082109

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

Not quite sure what that’s supposed to mean but it’s a pretty silly thing to say whichever way I slice it. Gaza is very much the issue most affecting many of these voters right now. Galloway may be a vain, pompous blowhard in an incel hat, but those who voted for him had the right to. 

It means voting for a shitty candidate like Galloway in a local election based on his opinion on Gaza, something the UK has almost no role in, shows people have got their priorities completely upside down.

Its also completely untrue that it’s the issue that is affecting the town on Rochdale. What a very silly thing to say. 

Edited by Heartofice

16 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It means voting for a shitty candidate like Galloway in a local election based on his opinion on Gaza, something the UK has almost no role in, shows people have got their priorities completely upside down.

Once in a while we agree. Also:

Addressing Starmer from the podium, Galloway said: “This is going to spark a movement, a landslide, a shifting of the tectonic plates, a score of parliamentary constituencies, beginning here in the north-west, in the West Midlands, in London, from Ilford to Bethnal Green & Bow.

“Labour is on notice that they have lost the confidence of millions of their voters who loyally and traditionally voted for them generation after generation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/01/george-galloway-wins-rochdale-byelection

I really fucking hate politicians who do this. You didn't even get 13,000 votes mate. You have no mandate. 

As I say, Galloway is a pompous blowhard. 

The idea that the UK has ‘almost no role’ in the Gaza issue is self evidently untrue. Historically, politically and economically. And the notion that foreign policy isn’t a legitimate reason to decide your vote in a by-election is applied very selectively. 

Just now, mormont said:

As I say, Galloway is a pompous blowhard. 

The idea that the UK has ‘almost no role’ in the Gaza issue is self evidently untrue. Historically, politically and economically. And the notion that foreign policy isn’t a legitimate reason to decide your vote in a by-election is applied very selectively. 

The Israelis are not changing their stance based on what the UK says, let alone what the opposition says, let alone what a crank like Galloway says. Let’s just be honest about that. 

It’s not even foreign policy of the UK that people are voting for here, this isn’t like the UK invading Iraq. It’s completely nonsensical. 

A by-election isn't a "local" election, it's an election for national office. Foreign policy is entirely within the remit for a by-election campaign.

The UK sells military supplies to Israel. Not a particularly enormous amount, but not nothing. It also hosts the facilities of some Israeli companies. Those arrangements can be subject to change, and that represents leverage.

The UK also has a permanent security council vote and a certain amount of diplomatic clout. Again, not a huge amount, and probably less than many in this country would think or prefer, but not nothing.

So no, the UK cannot unilaterally make Israel reverse course, but it does have tools to apply pressure, and to make Israel's current position somewhat less tenable. Again, it's not much but it's not nothing.

Whether or not you agree that's a desirable policy course to pursue, or whether it would be worth the costs, other people are free to decide that it is a course they want to see pursued, and to signal that preference through their choice of representative.

This very much isn't an endorsement of Galloway from me. Personally I think he's an opportunistic, self-serving grifter (aka a politician). But his being elected isn't necessarily an irrational choice by the people who voted for him. It signals a clear preference for a certain foreign policy direction.

You might argue that the election of a single, effectively independent MP, is not going to have any effect on UK foreign policy, so why vote for him? And that's probably true I guess. But then, why vote for anyone who proposes anything outside the policy mainstream? Why bother to vote at all? No single vote, no single candidate, is ever going to shift national policy to that extent. So do people just give up? Or do they try to exert whatever small bit of influence they can?

It’s worth noting also, particularly for non UK posters, that:

- Galloway certainly picked up votes he would not otherwise have got because Labour effectively did not have a candidate.

- Galloway did campaign on local issues such as hospital provision, regeneration of the area and even the future of the football club. He has little chance of delivering on these, but he didn’t run a single issue campaign.

- Galloway will almost certainly be ejected at the general election in a few months.

- the Conservatives and Reform also basically lost their votes to the independent candidate who came second. 

36 minutes ago, mormont said:

Galloway did campaign on local issues such as hospital provision, regeneration of the area and even the future of the football club. He has little chance of delivering on these, but he didn’t run a single issue campaign.

Galloway was smart enough to try and win different elements of the Rochdale vote with different policies, but he did focus heavily on the Gaza for the large muslim vote. He even said 'This is for Gaza' when he won as a message to Starmer. We shouldn't try and downplay how much the Gaza stuff was the primary issue he was standing on.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Galloway was smart enough to try and win different elements of the Rochdale vote with different policies, but he did focus heavily on the Gaza for the large muslim vote. He even said 'This is for Gaza' when he won as a message to Starmer. We shouldn't try and downplay how much the Gaza stuff was the primary issue he was standing on.

Support for Palestine has been his main issue since forever, this is hardly news.

Can someone remind me why Galloway is such a terrible person?

Oh, yes, he has spent his life challenging vested interests at home,calling out the UK and US for their illegal foreign wars, and has spent much of his political efforts campaigning on behalf of the Palestinians.

He also campaigned to remain in the EU and went on RT a couple of times. What a monster.

Edited by Spockydog

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Oh, yes, he has spent his life challenging vested interests at home,calling out the UK and US for their illegal foreign wars, and has spent much of his political efforts campaigning on behalf of the Palestinians.

He also campaigned to remain in the EU and went on RT a couple of times. What a monster.

Sure, easy:

#neverforget

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

He is supposedly a supporter of the CCP and Putin.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Oh, yes, he has spent his life challenging vested interests at home,calling out the UK and US for their illegal foreign wars, and has spent much of his political life campaigning on behalf of the Palestinians.

From what I've heard though he has that weird attitude where because what US/UK are doing is bad (I agree), it makes the people they are fighting/ anti West people automatically good (don't agree eg Houthis, Saddam, Putin etc. I just don't think are 'good'), which I find really strange.

Edited by Craving Peaches