UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

And pass up the chance to bring down the Royal family? I'd be planting evidence left right and centre, it would be like making a murderer on an industrial scale. 

What can I say, you have a better sense of civic responsibility than I

Even Stephen Colbert is out there laughing about the rumours
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2024/mar/13/stephen-colbert-prince-william-kate-photoshop

In royal family news, “the kingdom has been all aflutter by the seeming disappearance of Kate Middleton,” Colbert reported, especially after multiple international photo agencies retracted a photo issued by Kensington Palace for image manipulation. Colbert jokingly noted that some internet sleuths have concluded that Kate’s absence is because William is having an affair. “Oh no, my heart goes out to Kate … now let’s dish the hot goss,” Colbert joked.

According to tabloids, the affair began in 2019; when Kate confronted William about it, he “laughed it off” and dismissed it. “Aha, always a good response when your wife accuses you of cheating,” Colbert deadpanned, whipping out a mock British accent – “Ha ha, imagine me having an affair, it is to laugh! It reminds me of a joke, knock knock, who’s there, oh it’s my illegitimate son. I’ve knocked up my mistress.’”

The big rumour, that William had a child through an affair and Kate had a breakdown is getting even mainstream traction. Have to wonder though, I doubt Colbert would be joking about it if there was a suspicion it was true. 

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Could BFC make up enough evidance before he gets assinated? might be a more important question.

Great typo. So BFC's punishment for planting some crack on William is his back door won't be safe in prison? Nice. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Great typo. So BFC's punishment for planting some crack on William is his back door won't be safe in prison? 

He'll be happy with that, he's not called the 'prince of prostate' for nothing. 

that being said i don't think we are supposed to make jokes about prison rape. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

These are all amazing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/03/14/kate-middleton-princess-explanation-literature-satire/?utm_campaign=wp_follow_alexandra_petri&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_alexandrapetri&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3d11ea5%2F65f33a55715ef2295fc521b2%2F5972e372ae7e8a1cf4b1d8ff%2F3%2F23%2F65f33a55715ef2295fc521b2

Put on a ring she forgot she won in a riddling game years ago just to surprise people at her birthday, but now there’s a whole situation she needs to go on a long foot journey to resolve.

Is wuthering, on a height.

Exited, pursued by a bear.

If only they'd brush the corruption, racism and hate under the carpet like good little boys and girls. Don't they know they should be talking about things like Kate Middleton? So much more relevant to the running of this country!

Some would say it's more "important" than necessarily "interesting"

Meh, I just don't think it's all that interesting, nor does it really come under the banner of 'corruption'. Guy says something racist a while back, he gets rightly called out on it, the Tories could give him £10m if they wanted (but thats almost like rewarding a racist) , but I doubt it really matters very much. The Guardian seems to think it's the top story for an entire week, and some sort of way of building up a whole new 'Britain is racist' narrative. I doubt many people actually give a shit. 

The worst part of all this though is you've got people like Angela Rayner suggesting Dianne Abbot should be an MP again, which shows a serious lack of judgement. 

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Meh, I just don't think it's all that interesting, nor does it really come under the banner of 'corruption'. Guy says something racist a while back, he gets rightly called out on it, the Tories could give him £10m if they wanted (but thats almost like rewarding a racist) , but I doubt it really matters very much. The Guardian seems to think it's the top story for an entire week

I thought they mentioned it because it was revealed that in addition to the £10 million received already Hester had given or pledged to give a further £5 million after the comments were revealed?

Another reason why it might be relevant is the new definition of extremism the Tories are pushing for.

“Extremism is the promotion or advancement of an ideology based on violence, hatred or intolerance, that aims to: 1) negate or destroy the fundamental rights and freedoms of others; or 2) undermine, overturn or replace the UK’s system of liberal parliamentary democracy and democratic rights; or 3) intentionally create a permissive environment for others to achieve the results in 1) or 2).”

But they denied these comments would fall under the definition, because it wasn't an ideology. Still, it doesn't look very good that they are doing things like this while taking money from someone who called for an MP to be shot.

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

and some sort of way of building up a whole new 'Britain is racist' narrative. I doubt many people actually give a shit.

It's more a 'Tory party is racist' narrative. And quite a lot of people seem to care...

GPs call for health tech boss Frank Hester to resign after Abbott remarks | Frank Hester | The Guardian

In addition, Hester apparently routinely says racist things, according to multiple former employees, so I get the impression this wasn't just a one off incident.

(but thats almost like rewarding a racist)

I get what you are saying but the issue is that is not the justification the Tory party are using. They are claiming it is all fine again because he apologised and that he should be treated with 'Christian forgiveness'.

Edit: They also claim they are transparent about donations but won't say whether they've accepted more money from Hester.

Edited by Craving Peaches

If Hester really wanted to appolgise then he should be donating to a black charity or womens charity not the Tory Party.

I'm fine with the Torries not giving the money back, as the donation was many years in the past.  They probably should ban him from any future donations.

I am very much against any large donations by individuals or organisations.  since it encourages kickbacks and favours in return.  Blind annonymouse (sorry can't spell) donations might be ok.  although overall I'd prefered a very different fixed rate of party funding.

38 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I thought they mentioned it because it was revealed that in addition to the £10 million received already Hester had given or pledged to give a further £5 million after the comments were revealed?

Even then I don't see it as 'lead story for a week' material, it's not like there aren't 2 wars going on at the moment!

The guy may or may not be racist, his comments were racist, but still a world away from him supporting racist causes or something like that. Mostly it sounded like someone with some ignorant views mouthing off about how terrible Diane Abbot is, in an ignorant, badly worded, and yes racist, way. 

44 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

But they denied these comments would fall under the definition, because it wasn't an ideology. Still, it doesn't look very good that they are doing things like this while taking money from someone who called for an MP to be shot.

Sure, but they are right that what he said wouldn't fall under this stuff at all.

47 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I get what you are saying but the issue is that is not the justification the Tory party are using. They are claiming it is all fine again because he apologised and that he should be treated with 'Christian forgiveness'.

Edit: They also claim they are transparent about donations but won't say whether they've accepted more money from Hester.

Don't disagree the way Tories handle all this stuff is slimy and doesn't help their image. It would certainly be easier for them if they gave some money away. 

My point is that The Guardian are making more of this than I really think is there, it's not really a smoking gun for corruption, or Tory racism, or really anything. Its basically just a case 'some ignorant middle aged guy says racist thing', which really I don't think is quite as newsworthy as they think it is. 

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

2 wars going on at the moment!

They have their own special dedicated section on the Guardian Website as far as I am aware.

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

My point is that The Guardian are making more of this than I really think is there

Thing is though people who aren't the Guardian are also annoyed by it so... If the Guardian are making more of it than is there (not sure I agree) they aren't alone and are probably being encouraged by how others are reacting.

I think the RF is fucked. William was supposed to be the fsce of a modern RF,  some saying (before the queen died) that Charles shoukd have declined it in William’s favour.

The queen was respected by most people, even a lot not in fsvour of a monarchy. The whoke recent furore has turned William into a joke. Conspiracy theories are entering the mainstream, and the RF are doing nothing to quosh them. 

If George becomes king, it will be a much smaller working RF imho. If.

40 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I am very much against any large donations by individuals or organisations.  since it encourages kickbacks and favours in return.  Blind annonymouse (sorry can't spell) donations might be ok.  although overall I'd prefered a very different fixed rate of party funding.

If it were up to me, organisations would be banned from donating entirely, only donations from individuals allowed, with a maximum of £500 per person per year.

46 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I think the RF is fucked. William was supposed to be the fsce of a modern RF,  some saying (before the queen died) that Charles shoukd have declined it in William’s favour.

The queen was respected by most people, even a lot not in fsvour of a monarchy. The whoke recent furore has turned William into a joke. Conspiracy theories are entering the mainstream, and the RF are doing nothing to quosh them. 

If George becomes king, it will be a much smaller working RF imho. If.

Total speculation, but if for instance Williams childhood had in fact totally messed him up and he was actually a wreck of a human being, who cheated on his wife ( like his dad did), and was mentally scarred by his mums breakdown and subsequent death… then what hope would George have, if he’s growing up in an environment that is just as bad. 

Right now I don’t believe any of it, but if it was true, yeah, it could be really bad for the Royals.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Total speculation, but if for instance Williams childhood had in fact totally messed him up and he was actually a wreck of a human being, who cheated on his wife ( like his dad did), and was mentally scarred by his mums breakdown and subsequent death… then what hope would George have, if he’s growing up in an environment that is just as bad. 

Right now I don’t believe any of it, but if it was true, yeah, it could be really bad for the Royals.

Yeah, probably isn’t true. But the speculation is growing, and becoming more mainstream.

David Icke must be champing at the bit to bring back his “royal family alien lizard people” theory. At the moment, the RF PR team is so shit, they’d announce something that made it seem likely

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

There has to be a reason why we haven’t had Kate talk straight to camera ‘yeah don’t worry, it’s all cool, I’m fine, these rumours are nuts’

It would be so easy to do, that not doing it seems utterly suspect.

Yeah. At the moment, people are half-expecting them to pull a Weekend at Bernies.

We have an heir who people are speculating(wildly) killed a man and may have killed/seriously injured his wife … and it’s not looking totally far-fetched.

Wlso speculation thst Rose Hanbury is being soft-launched due to that Independent profile - though I suspect that was maybe thr paper trolling William.

Isn’t that generally the conundrum of conspiracy theories? if you ignore them there’s something suspicious otherwise you would just go out and say they’re bollocks, and if you’re going out and say they are BS, then something must be iffy othewise you wouldn’t waste time and effort to defuse them?

As a lifelong republican (Not the American kind) I don’t care at all what William might have done in his personal life. Plenty of people cheat on their partners, it’s not a criminal offense. This again shows that this whole idea of a Rf that is somehow „above and beyond“ etc is just BS, and the harder they try to convey that feeling the more they will be criticised…