The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Just out of curiosity, did the victims families ever collect on the full civil case fines OJ incurred?

At that time I half remembered there was a lot of controversy over OJ pleading broke from attorney fees and lost endorsements.

Kind of wondering whether the Goldman and Brown families are still entitled to any of OJ's estate?

I just read something today about that.  Let's see if I can remember . . .  Oh, the book Simpson wrote, "If I Did It," was awarded to the victims' families (in a last ditch attempt to make him cough up SOMETHING) was retitled and released as "If I Did It - by The Murderer."  This pissed off OJ and his attorneys, naturally.  

Up until his death recently, he and his attorneys have used whatever methods at their command to ensure the Browns and Goldmans wouldn't receive a dime from his estate - successfully.  

Mr. LaVergne is OJ's attorney.  From the Guardian:

Simpson died Wednesday without having paid the lion’s share of the civil judgment that was awarded in 1997 after jurors found him liable. With his assets set to go through the court probate process, the Goldman and Brown families could be in line to get paid a piece of whatever Simpson left behind.

LaVergne, who had represented Simpson since 2009, said he specifically didn’t want the Goldman family seeing any money from Simpson’s estate.

“It’s my hope that the Goldmans get zero, nothing,” he told the Review-Journal. “Them specifically. And I will do everything in my capacity as the executor or personal representative to try and ensure that they get nothing.”

LaVergne did not immediately return phone and email messages left by the Associated Press on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

The jury still did a bad job. The physical evidence was as conclusive as you could hope for without catching OJ on camera and/or he admitting to it. His blood was at the scene. He was a known abuser who was very jealous about the people his ex was sleeping with. I could list a number of other things, but you already know the details. OJ didn't get off because of Fuhrman, he did so because multiple people on the jury were never going to convicted him and they were able to wait out the others because they all wanted to go home. This is exactly why the system needs to move quickly. There's no reason that trial should have lasted nearly a year. 

Just to add:  This trial took place not too many years after Rodney King, so there was plenty of bad feeling in the City of Angels and some folks were looking for payback.

Edited by Tears of Lys

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

When I started working at a high school, one of my new coworkers (who didn't yet know me) tried to send me to change my shoes (as the students are obliged to do). We should be flattered! :D

Well, the most comparable story I have is one new colleague last year demanding to know how a student like me sneaked into the staff room in the most conceited "I am worth so much more than you" way possible. Then again, the guy was an absolute psycho and now everyone who acted only bemused at my open hostility towards him is now saying they knew all along he was creepy, now that he has been fired.

But yeah, I guess I should try to see it this way. Somehow... Had at least an amusing discussion on Discord about it recently with someone who shares the same fate.

Also congrats to household merger of course!

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, Brown's kids will get paid off. It's really the Goldmans that will have to fight to get something from his estate. While not broke, I dunno how much money is left there. His legal bills and the medical bills had to be paid.

I'm sure, but the family in general will never see what they're legally owed. But then again, if you really love your parent, no amount of money will ever make things right. 

27 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Just to add:  This trial took place not too many years after Rodney King, so there was plenty of bad feeling in the City of Angels and some folks were looking for payback.

100%. In the doc I've referenced, OJ: Made in America, people straight up said this. It was payback and the funny thing is OJ liked being seen as not being black. 

• Robert Lipsyte: He was telling me a story about being at a teammate's wedding with his wife, sitting at a table with mostly, as he said, "Negroes". And he overheard a white woman at the next table saying, "Look, there's O.J. sitting with all those niggers." And I remember, in my naïveté, saying to O.J., "Gee, wow, that must be terrible for you." He said, "No, it was great. Don't you understand? She knew that I wasn't black. She saw me as O.J." And really, at that moment, I thought he was fucked.

O.J.: Made in America (2016) - Quotes - IMDb

Controversial take - I frankly hope none of the money goes to Fred Goldman.  Dude is 83.  He’s made tons of money..I won’t say exploiting his son’s death, but really close.  Ron’s sister, maybe?  But she too has monetized the whole thing as well.

Whatever is left should go to the two kids.  They lost their mom.

7 hours ago, Toth said:

Well, the most comparable story I have is one new colleague last year demanding to know how a student like me sneaked into the staff room in the most conceited "I am worth so much more than you" way possible. Then again, the guy was an absolute psycho and now everyone who acted only bemused at my open hostility towards him is now saying they knew all along he was creepy, now that he has been fired.

Yeah, I had one of the coworkers not recognise me entering the staff room too. Right now, due to teacher shortages, our school employs two uni students who are also sisters of the high school students attending our school. With both of them, I had my mental moment of "what is student xy doing in the staff room", before realising it was actually their older sister!

I also once showed a photo of myself as the class teacher and my students (15-16 years old at the time) to my coworker. He couldn't find me on the photo and said there were only students in it. :D

7 hours ago, Toth said:

Also congrats to household merger of course!

Thank you!

@BigFatCoward

More new socks from my preferred high end brand, this time I went with a bunch of random colors (blue, red, yellow, green, navy and orange). Thought it was supposed to come with pink and purple too, but oh well. I have to go return something else anyways so maybe I can get them. No wiser words have ever been said on this forum than praising new socks. They feel amazing.

Fuck I am going to spend way too much money tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

@BigFatCoward

More new socks from my preferred high end brand, this time I went with a bunch of random colors (blue, red, yellow, green, navy and orange). Thought it was supposed to come with pink and purple too, but oh well. I have to go return something else anyways so maybe I can get them. No wiser words have ever been said on this forum than praising new socks. They feel amazing.

Fuck I am going to spend way too much money tomorrow. 

It's my birthday in less than a month. Loads of new socks incoming. Oh happy day. 

Socks are about the only clothing item I am really particular about.  For years my partner has been trying to ween me off of Smartwool socks (due to the price) for some 'equivalent' and its just never the same. 

Socks!  I love my sox.  I cannot have too many, just there are never too many (pretty) undies in the drawer and too many shoes/boots in the closet.

On 4/17/2024 at 10:27 PM, BigFatCoward said:

It's my birthday in less than a month. Loads of new socks incoming. Oh happy day. 

But what's your favourite brand? Socks can be a great gift, but I cannot abide the cheap nasty ones that are super thin and threadbare.

I don't need a designer brand though, I'm very happy with a nice pair of TU (Sainsburys clothing). But do not give me Primark or George (ASDA)

5 hours ago, horangi said:

Socks are about the only clothing item I am really particular about.  For years my partner has been trying to ween me off of Smartwool socks (due to the price) for some 'equivalent' and its just never the same. 

I buy way too much Ralph Lauren shit, but I'm not married to the brand. The only thing I'm not compromising on is Calvin Klein boxers. Black regular boxers for every day and black boxer briefs for working out. Whoever thought white underwear was a good idea should be slapped in the face. My ridiculous old red elephant man thong made more sense than that shit. 

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

No it didn’t.

Ex-fiancé would disagree. :P

Just saying, white or light colored underwear, especially for most men, bad idea. But ladies, don't think that it isn't an issue for you too. Darker colors work better unless you need something for a specific outfit. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Ex-fiancé would disagree. :P

Just saying, white or light colored underwear, especially for most men, bad idea. But ladies, don't think that it isn't an issue for you too. Darker colors work better unless you need something for a specific outfit. 

Um.....spotting is a bitch

11 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

you clearly don't have a vivid enough imagination because that makes perfect sense to me

In this case I’d really rather not!

48 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

My ridiculous old red elephant man thong made more sense than that shit. 

I am with DMC on this one.

There are better ways for you to come out as a Republican than with a Red Elephant thong. Yes, I am assuming this was a political statement better placed in the US politics thread.

No, not going in the other direction with that.