The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

i am a 5 year old child.  My medicine for my cough is so disgusting I've had to buy a packet of sweets to get it down, pathetic in a man of 47. 

There’s a Canadian brand of cough medicine called Buckley’s, that runs an ad campaign that says “It’s awful, but it works!”

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They also make cough drops that work great and are somewhat more palatable.

Be careful tho, I bought some a few months ago that taste like kerosene.   Bleah!    :ack:

I inherited a very nice watch, but Idk exactly what it's worth. It kind of looks like the watch from Pulp Fiction, but with a real gold bracelet. I'm curious if anyone has experience on the forum with this kind of thing. I've looked online and just can't place it. It's a very old Bulova that's 14k gold. It looks really cool, but it's dead.  Advice would be helpful. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I inherited a very nice watch, but Idk exactly what it's worth. It kind of looks like the watch from Pulp Fiction, but with a real gold bracelet. I'm curious if anyone has experience on the forum with this kind of thing. I've looked online and just can't place it. It's a very old Bulova that's 14k gold. It looks really cool, but it's dead.  Advice would be helpful. 

Bring it in to a good jewelry shop to get an estimate of what repairs would cost. You can then decide if you want to spend the money on it. The jeweler should easily be able to tell you its value. Hell, the shoe repair guy I go to for watch batteries and leather straps if something gets worn out, has a sharp eye for value. The watch’s mechanics scream out value to anyone with experience, not to mention the gold band.

12 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Inherited?  I assume it was your step-dad, my sympathies.

I have a rant about shopping carts. I feel I should conjure up @Ser Scot A Ellison at this point.

I am so annoyed at my fellow Costco members. Not only do some leave their carts lying around in the parking lot (not as much as regular grocery stores) but they leave so much trash in the cart. I don’t think I should have clean up pizza slice plates and food sample cups and empty boxes. Very annoying!

7 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Nope, my dad. I've still got a lot to go through, but I forgot about the watch.

I recommend taking it to a watch repair shop. They'll pop the case and look at the workings and ascertain much more information than most jewelers could.

4 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I recommend taking it to a watch repair shop. They'll pop the case and look at the workings and ascertain much more information than most jewelers could.

I don’t know what you guys have in the US, but there are no “watch repair shops” that I’ve ever seen in Canada. You go to a good jeweler, the kind that sells watches. They usually have a repair person on staff.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don’t know what you guys have in the US, but there are no “watch repair shops” that I’ve ever seen in Canada. You go to a good jeweler, the kind that sells watches. They usually have a repair person on staff.

Birds, I once lived across the street from the most annoying jeweler ever. Yes that guy. At the time he did do watch repair at his shop.

https://www.bloomberg.com/economics -- Global Food Edition

For some reason the first paragraph, seen first thing with tea, made me laugh.

Late last year, a van delivering 10,000 Krispy Kreme donuts was stolen in southeast Australia. Around the same time, criminals snatched 200 hams thousands of miles away in Spain.

Whether for tomato sauce, olive oil, tea, sugar or ice cream, there’s a seemingly insatiable appetite to loot groceries. Years of rising prices have made everyday food and drink items a lucrative target for criminals.

The problem is bigger than you may think. Thefts of foods and beverages accounted for more than a fifth of all incidents globally last year, the largest share, according to the British Standards Institution, a supply chain intelligence company. That’s up from 17% a year earlier and 14% in 2021. ....

Though, really, this isn't funny, considering how many people starving globally are food insecure