International events

Bironic

You mean: Let's take 'em all with us!  That'll teach 'em!  But, you know, "unintentionally." ?????

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, The Big Stink said:

We’re accustomed to Israel operating w/impunity, so it doesn’t register how anomalous an act like this is - attacking the embassy of a country they’re not at war with, in a country they’re also not at war with. It would be like the Russians bombing the US embassy in Latvia or Turkey. No other country in the world behaves this way.

Not saying this is good or bad. 

They are a Rogue State. Simple as that.

Russia’s economy accelerated at the start of the year on the back of strong consumer demand, investment and exports, as the country continues to weather the impact of sanctions following the invasion of Ukraine.

Also:

The owner of the ship that destroyed Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge, causing the indefinite closure of the port a week ago, is seeking to limit its liability to about $44 million.

According to reporting by my Bloomberg News colleagues citing legal experts, the company — Grace Ocean — could face hundreds of millions of dollars in damage claims.

On Monday it filed a petition jointly with Synergy Marine, which was operating the Singapore-flagged container ship Dali. They claim the collapse of the bridge was “not due to any fault, neglect, or want of care” of the companies and that they shouldn’t be held liable for any loss or damage from the disaster.

Among the key legal questions now is whether the ship owners will declare “general average,” a centuries-old principle that would spread losses proportionately among cargo owners and other stakeholders. That’s what Evergreen Marine did when the container vessel the Ever Forward got stuck in the Chesapeake Bay in 2022 — requiring weeks of dredging and tug services to free it — after departing Baltimore’s Seagirt Marine Terminal.

As the legal battles get under way, the cleanup work has begun and efforts to minimize the disruptions are gearing up. Demolition teams have started cutting the crumpled steal trusses and salvagers have cleared a small channel for barge traffic to resume.

Edited by Zorral

Curious that 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:15 PM, Zorral said:
  •  

Also:

both the ship that crashed into the Baltimore Bridge (me sed coz The Wire's my fave show oat) and the Ever Given that got stuck in the Suez canal 2 or 3 yrs ago were manned nearly totally by fellow Indians. Lmao realising this as my drunk af schoolmate videocalled in the middle of the night after failing a couple'a courses in his merchant navy training program. 

Edited by TheLastWolf
sry not panama

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Curious that 

both the ship that crashed into the Baltimore Bridge (me sed coz The Wire's my fave show oat) and the Ever Given that got stuck in the Suez canal 2 or 3 yrs ago were manned nearly totally by fellow Indians. Lmao realising this just as my drunk af schoolmate videocalled me after failing a couple'a courses in his merchant navy training program. 

Not to mention the big container ship that last year shut down Chesapeake shipping for such a long time coz it ran aground, too large for the channel it used.

There is so much going on these days that breaks my heart.  What's happened to Baltimore is not the least of it.  I know Baltimore well, have many friends there, know how hard the city's been working to turn itself aroudn, and of course many friends in the whole Chesapeake region, who all have families all over the place.  I learned to love Baltimore first.  I only began to watch The Wire after living on the Chesapeake -- and yes, it is the Best!  And that was before we met David Simon, which was because of Treme and New Orleans, and using Partner's books as the production bible, particularly for the music -- or so he was so kind to say.  They had other Bibles too, as anyone can see and hear!

10 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Yep, you are right. 

Minority persecution here has reached levels akin to the tensions prevailing at the time of Partition. So if you get your hands on such news, needless to say, the severity is far more when and where it occurs.

But regards religious education, I, as a rationally inclined adult, prefer my country, if it calls itself secular, to allow a healthy environment for anyone to practice their faith by choice/birth. But where I draw the line is in institutionalizing of kids by any religion, which has led only to indoctrination, zealotry and far worser and wide ranging problems. How can there be a harmonious coexistence in society if a child from birth is exposed/allowed interaction only with his so called 'kind' and thus easily prepared to ha- better left unsaid for dramatic effect.

That is not  concern limited only to religion of course your / our / my "kind" can be for anything from left/right handedness, eye colour and skull shape to ethnicity, ideology, language, sport, gender etc. Singling out religion, to me, is putting the blame on a symptom rather than a cause. To be sure not much excites one's passions like religion (even among some anti-religionists curiously enough), though country, racial and ideological identity follow closely behind. The root cause is what appears to be a deep primitive tribal instinct. Some kind of need to identify oneself with a subset of humanity in preference to the rest of humanity instead of recognising humanity as one family and the earth as one home and meaningfully acting upon that recognition. Lots of people accept intellectually that we're one species and the earth is one big ecosystem, but they actively resist these truths having a meaningful influence on their lives, choices and attitudes.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That is not  concern limited only to religion of course your / our / my "kind" can be for anything from left/right handedness, eye colour and skull shape to ethnicity, ideology, language, sport, gender etc.

I just felt it most pervasive and damaging from the history we know.

Singling out religion, to me, is putting the blame on a symptom rather than a cause. To be sure not much excites one's passions like religion (even among some anti-religionists curiously enough), though country, racial and ideological identity follow closely behind. The root cause is what appears to be a deep primitive tribal instinct. Some kind of need to identify oneself with a subset of humanity in preference to the rest of humanity instead of recognising humanity as one family and the earth as one home and meaningfully acting upon that recognition.

I acknowledge this cause, but if positive conditioning from birth can overcome redundant lizard brain vestiges in our relatively advanced era of civilization for you and me, why can't we hope the same for less fortunate souls and move towards that.

Lots of people accept intellectually that we're one species and the earth is one big ecosystem, but they actively resist these truths having a meaningful influence on their lives, choices and attitudes.

Unless aliens attack or shit, separate nations spending resources individually for overlapping necessities shall continue to contribute to gross human waste.

Edited by TheLastWolf

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Where are you going with that?  Would you prohibit parents from teaching their children about their faith?

Not all parents turn out to be Terrence Mallick sadly. In fact, the vast majority- Ugh. I mean, I do encounter their children on a daily basis, don't I? Most people are someone's children (raised is what I mean, not the Tyrion kind sarcasm "...mother. Some woman, most usually are"). And their upbringing disgusts me when it comes to social divisions of all kinds. Just look around the globe, am not responsible if you have a relatively better environment, the world is still burning for many.

When even most parents pass on undesirable acquired knowledge, what hope does an institution have, free from monitoring and prone to all sorts of nefarious interference.

The poor kid had no choice in his birth (consent ahem), is asking to not impose the shittier of the average moronic adult's prejudices and biases too much?

Edited by TheLastWolf
not dolorous edd

Hitler Modi Youth

ETA

If I ever fall under Big Brother's radar, hope some of you can bear harbouring future refugee-immigrant-exile me...:dunno: if they don't slap me with sedition or some other colonial crap and throw away the key first 

ETAA

@Ran pls be sure to delete all my activity here (*sniff*) when the tyrants inevitably no longer bother to mask their intentions and begin weeding out dissenters along with the minorities. I'd probably tick all the boxes of the keywords they look for lol

Edited by TheLastWolf

34 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Not all parents turn out to be Terrence Mallick sadly. In fact, the vast majority- Ugh. I mean, I do encounter their children on a daily basis, don't I? Most people are someone's children (raised is what I mean, not the Tyrion kind sarcasm "...mother. Some woman, most usually are"). And their upbringing disgusts me when it comes to social divisions of all kinds. Just look around the globe, am not responsible if you have a relatively better environment, the world is still burning for many.

When even most parents pass on undesirable acquired knowledge, what hope does an institution have, free from monitoring and prone to all sorts of nefarious interference.

The poor kid had no choice in his birth (consent ahem), is asking to not impose the shittier of the average moronic adult's prejudices and biases too much?

So… you would empower the State to impose criminal sanction upon parents who teach their kids about their faith?  Look I don’t think all parents are perfect but that seems like… a lot… of power in the hands of the State.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… you would empower the State to impose criminal sanction upon parents who teach their kids about their faith?  Look I don’t think all parents are perfect but that seems like… a lot… of power in the hands of the State.

Of course not. Hell, I've been called all kinds of shit from anarchist to more colourful nouns but never something even remotely resembling your accusation. I just can't stomach innocent kids' minds being polluted that's all. It is personal, for I had a few choices and fortuitous turn of events leading to the barest of an escape from leading a similarly biased existence.

Edited by TheLastWolf

18 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Of course not. Hell, I've been called all kinds of shit from anarchist to more colourful nouns but never something even remotely resembling your accusation. I just can't stomach innocent kids' minds being polluted that's all. It is personal, for I had a few choices and fortuitous turn of events leading to the barest of an escape from leading a similarly biased existence.

How else would you bar parents from teaching their kids about their religious beliefs?  I’m very confused.

56 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

If I ever fall under Big Brother's radar, hope some of you can bear harbouring future refugee-immigrant-exile me...:dunno:

Alas, if the American white nationalist christians have their way, there won't be refuge here either, and we'll all be in work camps, starved and tortured to death.  Nothing else will do -- unless a childbearing female -- first she will have to be raped and forced to give birth.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How else would you bar parents from teaching their kids about their religious beliefs?  I’m very confused.

I have no idea. I bitched and moaned that's all, like I tend to. About war. About Dany worshipping Jon haters. Pretty much everything

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Alas, if the American white nationalist christians have their way, there won't be refuge here either, and we'll all be in work camps, starved and tortured to death.  Nothing else will do -- unless a childbearing female -- first she will have to be raped and forced to give birth.

Mad Max then

• Ran locked this topic