Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea

Spurs have a very difficult run in so it is pretty unlikely that they can overhaul Villa. It would be great if Villa can hold on and finish 4th. I'm happy that England is now extremely unlikely to get a 5th CL spot - it would've been utter bullshit for Spurs to get CL football for finishing 5th, bombing out early of both domestic cups while contributing sweet fuck all to the coefficient.

Edited by Consigliere

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Spurs have a very difficult run in so it is pretty unlikely that they can overhaul Villa. It would be great if Villa can hold on and finish 4th. I'm happy that England is now extremely unlikely to get a 5th CL spot - it would've been utter bullshit for Spurs to get CL football for finishing 5th, bombing out early of both domestic cups while contributing sweet fuck all to the coefficient.

Spurs are lucky that Sheff Utd and Burnley will likely already be down by the time they play them, otherwise i'd be wondering if we could catch them. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Spurs are lucky that Sheff Utd and Burnley will likely already be down by the time they play them, otherwise i'd be wondering if we could catch them. 

Nah, you'll beat us to 6th, but then we'll win the Cup and take the Europa League place anyway.

Lille dominating against Villa. They were the better side in the first leg too and were a bit unlucky not to come away with a draw at least.

Eta. Villa fought their way back into this game after a dreadful hour or so. They've been the better side ever since Lille's second goal.

Edited by Consigliere

12 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Pretty disappointing from Liverpool in the end. They didn't really look like they wanted to achieve the comeback.

I think that's underselling Atalanta's role a fair bit. We were causing them quite a few problems in the first half then they've adjusted at half time and we couldn't get the ball through midfield. Same as last week really. A very impressive couple of games for Gasperini.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I think that's underselling Atalanta's role a fair bit. We were causing them quite a few problems in the first half then they've adjusted at half time and we couldn't get the ball through midfield. Same as last week really. A very impressive couple of games for Gasperini.

Should have been 2-0 at half time if Salah cared to score. Sure Atalanta did well, but there simply was less of a fighting spirit from Liverpool compared to other European matches.

17 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Should have been 2-0 at half time if Salah cared to score. Sure Atalanta did well, but there simply was less of a fighting spirit from Liverpool compared to other European matches.

I think the players are tired again.  Going deep in four competitions, with all of the injury absences, just adds up.

Unfortunately it’s a familiar pattern.  The team runs out of steam each season.  Guardiola seems to do a better job of having his team peak in March, April, May, even if they had a rough patch sometime earlier.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I think the players are tired again.  Going deep in four competitions, with all of the injury absences, just adds up.

Unfortunately it’s a familiar pattern.  The team runs out of steam each season.  Guardiola seems to do a better job of having his team peak in March, April, May, even if they had a rough patch sometime earlier.

Its no great secret, he does a better job because its easier to keep people fresh when you have by far the strongest squad. 

So Nagelsmann won't return to Bayern, instead he (somewhat surprisingly) extended his contract as Headcoach for the National Team.

Which makes things interesting at Bayern. Nagelsmann was the the preferred pick of Eberl and Freund (who were not there during the Nagelsmann days and the controversies around him), but faced somewhat persistent resistence by other the other big wigs. Anyway, like I said, this point is now moot.

Now the question is really where they go next. Seek a permanent appointment (Rangnick and Emery are now rumoredly the frontrunners, with Zidane also on the short list), or go for an interim solution, and try again with Alonso next year. If the interim is a success that could also become a permanent solution. Flick would apparently be that temp. Tuchel is as of now not in the mind to reverse course on his exit and stay for another year. But that might change.

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea