Your most beloved (but not subscribed to) fan theory

CamiloRP

Theories I have come up with, but have serious doubts are actually true.

1.  Roose Bolton knew who Arya was at Harrenhal, or at least had a pretty good idea.  She talks like a noble, has clear Northern sympathies, and matches the description of Robb's younger sister.  Making her his page means he can keep an eye on her, and it somewhat protects her, and it puts her with Elmar Frey, Arya's betrothed.  By the time he refuses to take her with him to Riverrun, he has changed sides and would lose her to Robb.  

It's a weak case, though.  Everything has alternate explanations and nothing has come of it so far, except for Roose's discourse to Theon about how nobles talk.  I think Martin was keeping his options open, but abandoned the idea.  Still, if it happens that Roose knew, I won't be too surprised.

2.  Arya's murder of the insurance guy was faked.  It was a test, and only a test.  The poison was fake, and he is alive and well, and hanging out where Arya doesn't.  We never see his body, and if I recall correctly, the FM never say directly that he is dead.  Also, the coin was not recovered.  A gold coin that kills anyone who bites it could leave a trail of bodies; not the FM way.

Again, a weak case.  We know the poison itself exists (Oldtown Pate), and there was the possibility of Arya killing him without notifying the FM.  And the poison could wear off or not last long.  Also, I don't know where it would lead story wise.

3.  The savage giant Sansa slays is Whoresbane Umber.  Didn't see that coming, did you?  The Ghost of High Heart often refers to people by their sigil, and Umer sigil is a giant with broken chains.  And Whoresbane is currently supporting the Boltons, an act of treason.  

Still, slaying implies active participation, and I can't see Sansa doing it herself.  Also, it's going to be quite some time before she makes her way north, and any ramifications of his support for Bolton will likely play out before then, if in fact he really is supporting him.  In any case, I think the giant is Littlefinger, whose ancestral sigil is the Titan of Braavos.  It's obvious that Sansa will have to deal with him at some point.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:11 AM, Gertrude said:

I know this one is controversial and it's maybe split in the fandom, but I like the theory that Tyrion is a Targ. The reason I like it though, is not for what it does for the current story, but because it makes Tywin's backstory so much richer. If he knows, then his whole relationship with Aerys makes more sense and is more tragic. Particularly the move Aerys made in denying Jaime as his heir and leaving Tyrion in his place, like a changeling baby. 

I don't know if i buy it though, because of the repercussions for the current story, It's repetitive and I'm not sure what it adds. It gives Dany a third dragon rider and ... that's it? Gives her another trigger for betrayal? Does she need another?

Why would you jump to framing Tyrion being a Targ as being all about Dany?

3 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Why would you jump to framing Tyrion being a Targ as being all about Dany?

Because I don't see it adding much to Tyrion's story, tbh. It would relieve him of a lot of his guilt and make him less complex IMO. Maybe that's my lack of imagination, but the most obvious implications for the story I see all affect Dany more than Tyrion.

I really like the idea that Theon will become Bran's prophet when he is taken before the weirwood grove for judgement an execution.  I don't remember who came up with it - somebody here.  Kudos.  It's not really charming but it has a lot of interesting potential plot development attached to it.  It would be quite a twist and I think Theon is too good of a character to waste.

There is a secret conspiracy to continuously purge the middle classes of Westeros to keep them small, in order to prevent Westerosi society from progressing beyond late medieval/early modern era. I love it but the only piece of 'evidence' mentioned was that Varys ratted out the Antler Men, which he could have done for numerous other reasons.

That the maesters are purposely slowing down human advancement. Seems rather strange how little science has advanced in the world. The technology of Aegon’s conquest, is near identical to the technology in the present story. 

I mean it’s even more crazy when you see just how far we’ve advanced in the last 100 years, in the real world.

Edited by sifth

The Grand Northern Conspiracy. 

I believe that some parts of it are true, but not all of it and that it's rather several conspiracies that met each other such as Wyman Manderly's and Barbrey Dustin's, without the Blackfish having a part in it, and that it wasn't planned by them to crown Jon Snow as their lord or king but Bran or Rickon instead.