US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction

10 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It sounds stupid but human psychology is weird.

Gotta say, I have sincere doubts this will have much of an impact quelling any potential contagion effect.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does anyone know what time the vote is scheduled on foreign aid?

Debate started at 9, the vote is expected to take place around 1.

ETA:  Voting is expected to begin around 1.  Amendments, the GOP border bill that won’t pass.  It’ll be a while before they get to the four main measures.

Edited by DMC

Exploitation and real harm is being done to children in the workforce.  To say the fascist ilks are determined to take us all the way back is not a joke. Like removing all the protections for women's health they are re already removing protections for children.  Yet, they are always howling about protecting children from evil -- while of course committing evil upon children -- including sexual abuse -- constantly.

Louisiana lawmakers vote to remove lunch breaks for child workers, cut unemployment benefits
A House committee approved the bill along with others to reduce unemployment benefits and workers' compensation wages.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/legislature/la-lawmakers-vote-to-remove-lunch-breaks-for-child-workers/article_ef234692-fd9e-11ee-99f5-771c7366107a.html

Republicans Want to Take Away Child Workers' Lunch Breaks
Published Apr 18, 2024 at 4:00 PM EDT
Updated Apr 18, 2024 at 9:12 PM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-child-workers-lunch-break-louisiana-1891929

Despite hazardous working conditions, many states are rolling back child labor laws
"Finding just one child in harm's way is one too many," a labor official says.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/despite-hazardous-working-conditions-states-rolling-back-child/story?

Child labor laws are under attack in states across the country
Amid increasing child labor violations, lawmakers must act to strengthen standards
Report • By Jennifer Sherer and Nina Mast • March 14, 2023

https://www.epi.org/publication/child-labor-laws-under-attack/

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Louisiana lawmakers vote to remove lunch breaks for child workers, cut unemployment benefits
A House committee approved the bill along with others to reduce unemployment benefits and workers' compensation wages.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/legislature/la-lawmakers-vote-to-remove-lunch-breaks-for-child-workers/article_ef234692-fd9e-11ee-99f5-771c7366107a.html

Republicans Want to Take Away Child Workers' Lunch Breaks
Published Apr 18, 2024 at 4:00 PM EDT
Updated Apr 18, 2024 at 9:12 PM EDT

Sorry if this comes over as complete ignorance but what are child workers? Children that work? Is that not illegal? 
(I know that republicans want children back at work and thus remove child labor laws wherever they can)I just assumed there were no children at work yet in the USA… (at least not legally, illegally obviously yes)

4 minutes ago, Bironic said:

Sorry if this comes over as complete ignorance but what are child workers? Children that work? Is that not illegal? 

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, children can begin working at 14 in non-agricultural jobs.  I started working at 15.  It’s SUPPOSED to be, however, highly regulated and limited, at least up until 16 (when you’re legally allowed to drop out of school).

The House just passed the Ukraine aid measure 311-112.  They also passed the measure with the TikTok ban 360-58.  :o

ETA:  The Taiwan measure also passed 385 to 34.  All that’s left is the Israeli measure which they’re voting on now.

And now the Israel measure passed 366 to 58, completing the bundling of all four.

Edited by DMC

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Week said:

I asked Chat gpt for some nicknames after seeing this story ...

Naptime Nuisance Trump and Tootin' Trial Trump are my two favorites. I do like the straightforward The Flatulent Defendant too.

I'm disappointed with AI there. The obvious nickname for the orange felon is obviously *drumroll*

Fartosaurus Snore

I admit, his previous short lived name Don Snoreleone was better, but it omitted the farts.

19 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Just to be clear, Ozempic is the version of semaglutide that is specifically geared towards diabetes, while Wegovy is the (only?) one approved for weight loss. I take the former, but cant say I've been overrun by a case of the toots. Thats pure cheeto energy.

I suspect your diet might be a wee bit healthier. Obviously I could be wrong, and you ignore medical advice and also go hard for the MacDonald's BicMac with fries and ketchup diet. YOLO? :dunno:

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

The 34 that voted against the Taiwan bill were all Republicans - and all the people you would expect to vote no on virtually anything.  I encourage looking up the roll call, as these are the people that don’t even belong in student government - especially Gaetz - let alone the United States Congress.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

The 34 that voted against the Taiwan bill were all Republicans - and all the people you would expect to vote no on virtually anything.  I encourage looking up the roll call, as these are the people that don’t even belong in student government - especially Gaetz - let alone the United States Congress.

I see what you did there. :D

54 minutes ago, DMC said:

This really is the weirdest incarnation of the Republican Party, in my lifetime.  A big chunk of them just wish to see the world burn.

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, children can begin working at 14 in non-agricultural jobs.

Yeah, I did berry picking at 8 years old. You have to be a tough kid to pull that off though for any length of time. I quit after day 1 and getting very sunburned. Also, they didn't pay an hourly wage, they paid based on amount picked.

Couple news items I feel should be mentioned - especially after all the right wing consternation a few months back that continues.  USC barred their own valedictorian from making a pro-Palestinian speech at commencement out of “security concerns.”  In addition, Barnard suspended Ilhan Omar’s daughter for staging a pro-Palestinian protest.  But, sure, academia is infested with “wokism.”  :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Couple news items I feel should be mentioned - especially after all the right wing consternation a few months back that continues.  USC barred their own valedictorian from making a pro-Palestinian speech at commencement out of “security concerns.”  In addition, Barnard suspended Ilhan Omar’s daughter for staging a pro-Palestinian protest.  But, sure, academia is infested with “wokism.”  :rolleyes:

This article with author might be of interest to your students.

A prehistory of MAGA: "Mainstream" conservatives never really purged the fascists
Author David Austin Walsh says "respectable" conservatives have tolerated racists and neo-Nazis all along

https://www.salon.com/2024/04/20/a-prehistory-of-maga-mainstream-conservatives-never-really-purged-the-fascists/

David Austin Walsh’s new book, “Taking America Back: The Conservative Movement and the Far Right,” had its origins in his experience as a college student editing a roundtable on Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism" for History News Network. In several senses, Walsh’s book is the polar opposite of Goldberg’s: It’s history, not polemics; it locates actual fascists on the right, where they actually were, and — most fundamentally — it meticulously includes the sort of messy, contradictory information that Goldberg’s polemic thoroughly excluded.  ....

.... Most people don’t think about the far right being particularly active during those years right around World War II, but they actually were. 

Absolutely. I think there's a basic narrative — it's changing because of, for example, Rachel Maddow's Ultra podcast — that after America entered the war, America First was spent as a political force, the far right was essentially nonexistent and forced back into the shadows because of their association with fascism. There are elements of truth to that. There was the sedition trial in 1944, which prosecuted a number of fascists and fascist sympathizers and people who may have been involved with Nazi espionage. But there continued to be a core cadre of extremely right-wing political activists with allies in Congress in the 1940s and into the ‘50s, from World War II to the McCarthy period. ....

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

This really is the weirdest incarnation of the Republican Party, in my lifetime.  A big chunk of them just wish to see the world burn.

Ya, They have the well being and safety and protection of children so much at heart!  Nobody's ever cared more about children than them.  See! We get rid of all the books and all the teaching because we are protecting our precious, fragile children!

• A Horse Named Stranger changed the title to US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction
  • Ran locked this topic