UK politics, Truss me, I really am that mental.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Nah, you can keep him. 'Sides he's not a foreigner, both his parents are British, it was just an accident where he was born. He went home when he moved to the UK.

Spocky doesn't mean New Zealand, he means one of the slimier circles of hell. 

She is one of the worst home secs we've ever had, and has the blood of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis on her hands.

I reckon she should just stfu.

On 5/4/2024 at 11:51 AM, BigFatCoward said:

I've noticed you love being patronising and wrong, and trying to shut conversation down when you disagree with people. Its really quite dickish behavior.

We are talking about suitability for someone to be a Councillor. Your experience of student politics is almost completely irrelevant. 

I on the other hand am a neighbourhood policing team inspector, my bread and butter is local politics. I have meetings weekly with multiple councillors and the local authority on the issues that they care about. And its not like I don't think young people have a voice, or ideas. I was responsible for setting up the only youth IAGs in the MET, i sat on multiple youth parliaments. Young people have great ideas, just not the life skills to implement them. Which is what is being discussed. 

I don't really see the need to get personal, tbqh, particularly when the accusation of being 'patronising' comes in response to me defending my understanding of the subject at hand against a repeated out of hand dismissal.

That experience is absolutely relevant when we're discussing political activity among people of that exact age group. (Many of whom, by the way, are involved in local council politics at the same time. My officers regularly meet with local councillors, MSPs, MPs, etc. and we give evidence to local council committees and Scottish government consultations - I've written a lot of these with my officers.)

I'm genuinely glad to hear you've taken the initiative you describe. I hope those young folk have a champion who will stand up for them, and I hope it's you: but you'll understand, that's hard to fit with the things you've said about young people in this thread. Part of that might be performative? But even in the post above, I think you're limiting what young people bring to the table. 'Life experience' doesn't necessarily give people any special ability to implement policy.

Posted (edited)

Regardless of competence, anyone seeking to enter politics at eighteen with ambitions of high office should be viewed with the utmost suspicion.

Edited by Spockydog

Well, one must wonder then, what your assessment is of a talented, ambitious young -- o, I dunno, chemist, musician, writer, historian, pastor, financier, entrepreneur, designer, etc. -- who enter their fields hoping to become a force to be reckoned with?

In those fields one develops expertise in things that can potentially make major contributions in that speciality as one grows in knowledge and experience. Entering politics at 18 as a career only makes you become expert in being a politician. I would rather our best and brightest do anything other than politics for their early adult life. Not to gain life experience, but to contribute to the progress of society in a myriad far better ways than becoming a full time politician.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Regardless of competence, anyone seeking to enter politics with ambitions of high office should be viewed with the utmost suspicion.

FTFY

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

FTFY

If you have worked in public service and seen how utterly dreadful those are that are making decisions, that's absolutely the right people to be standing for office. 

I'd make a law that anyone that went to public school or has a double barreled surname was automatically barred. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you have worked in public service and seen how utterly dreadful those are that making decisions, that's absolutely the right people to be standing for office. 

I'd make a law that anyone that went to public school or has a double barreled surname was automatically barred. 

To be fair, they mostly have developed a skill set based on arrogance and narcissism, which can be good for getting people to take orders from you.

31 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

To be fair, they mostly have developed a skill set based on arrogance and narcissism, which can be good for getting people to take orders from you.

Wrong orders though. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

One of my contemporaries at uni was a Tory who stood for the local elections: Rupert Garton-Jones. But he was standing in an area where the double-barreled surname would, let's say, have been a disadvantage (and being called Rupert wouldn't do him any favours either). So his posters dropped the forename and the hyphen, reading

Vote

Garton

JONES

Nice try. Didn't work. :lol:

Posted (edited)

Looks like they're going in. Orders to evacuate are being issued to the families sheltering in Rafah. Where the fuck are they supposed to go? 

Edited by Spockydog

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mormont said:

One of my contemporaries at uni was a Tory who stood for the local elections: Rupert Garton-Jones. But he was standing in an area where the double-barreled surname would, let's say, have been a disadvantage (and being called Rupert wouldn't do him any favours either). So his posters dropped the forename and the hyphen, reading

Vote

Garton

JONES

Nice try. Didn't work. :lol:

This is just a tangent, but I can't resist commenting on how different the stereotype of "double surnames" would be for politicians in the UK vs the USA. I just checked the present US House of Representatives. There are 10 who go by "double surnames" -- some hyphenated, some not -- and they are ALL women, with there being 9 Democrats and only 1 Republican. I think the assumption would be that these are all women affected by feminism who retain their "maiden name" along with adopting their husband's surname, which is why they use the double surname.  Are there any women politicians in the UK who use a double surname for feminist reasons, or does the "upper crust Conservative" stereotype prevent this? 

Edited by Ormond
fix punctuation

Ormond - interesting question. What you describe is becoming more common in folks my age or below, in the middle classes particularly, such that if I met a University lecturer with a double-barreled name (male or female) I probably wouldn't assume it was a class thing. But if I met an MP, I would. 

To some extent (and you'd know this, of course) it depends what the names actually are. There are some names that are stereotypically upper class - If I meeting a Granville-Beaumont or a Bowes-Lyon I'm going to think of that differently than a Wilson-Jones. 

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

There’s at least one Tory with a quadruple-barrelled name, Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax

Whereas 'vote Johnson' sounds positively working class, until you hear the first and middle names. 

Also it is very common for people of Latino-Spanish heritage to have, at least two surnames, that of the mother and the father.

I mostly noticed the trend when a raft of double barrelled footballers hit the scene. You had your oxlaide-chamberlaine, wright Phillips and Carter vickers. 

Seems less common now, maybe something to do with Maltaran’s point