Food You Don’t Want to Eat Anymore

We were just chatting about foods we have negative memories about. For me it’s canned tomato soup, not because it was a go-to because we were short of money, but because it meant my mom was too busy to make soup herself. She made wonderful soup, but had cans on the shelf to use if she was too busy to cook. 

What food did you used to eat that you no longer have any interest in?

15 hours ago, Ormond said:

Whole milk and sugared soda pop.  I am now so used to skim milk and sugar-free soft drinks that I don't really like the taste of the higher calorie alternatives. 

Lol, I'd say skim milk for me!

I drank whole milk as a young kid, then eventually switched to skim milk. Then I gave up dairy for soy milk in my young adulthood. Some time when I was grad school (2007-2012), I had some cookies with whole milk and fell back in love, and I haven't quit whole milk since! And this is coming from someone who's lactose intolerant. I do need to watch my intake, of course.

I grew up in a fairly big blue collar family (2 parents, 5 siblings, foster kids cycling in and out) and so we had a lot of cheap food options. My mom was also not a great cook, and a lot of our meals were bland. So the main thing that I tend to steer away from is instant food. I found that I love Brussels sprouts (my ancient enemy), as long as they're cooked fresh and at least lightly seasoned.

Posted (edited)

Anything with cilantro or pesto can piss right the fuck off. 

edit: and olives, them beady little bastards. my daughters both love them-- I don't even like having them visible in the fridge

Edited by JGP

2 hours ago, JGP said:

Anything with cilantro or pesto can piss right the fuck off. 

Cilantro meh but pesto is… yikes. :ack:

2 hours ago, JGP said:

edit: and olives, them beady little bastards. my daughters both love them-- I don't even like having them visible in the fridge

I looooooooove olives but feel the same about papayas, can’t stand to look at the evil things! 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Rice pudding. :ack:

But homemade rice pudding with the skin and the burnt bits of rice with a thin  sprinkle of sugar for crunch and a splash of milk to cool it down is so good. If we had a bit of a shit tea my mam or nanna would always make up for it with a fuck off big dish of rice pudding because they could make a big serving for so little

21 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Government cheese. It wasn't that bad, not very good either, but it brings up all sorts of bad associations.

Wtf is government cheese?

I don't eat meat anymore so kind of redundant, but spam. My nanna had an obsession with hoarding it and having approximately 20 tines at the ready on any given day

Posted (edited)

Wtf is government cheese?

Might not be a UK thing, I'm an American and this was in the 1980's. I recall them coming in very large bricks, Don't think the program ended though, this article mentions it still going on in 2022.

The flavor of government cheese has been compared as ranging from mild cheddar to Velveeta cheese due to variations in ingredients. Some people reminisce both good or bad opinions concerning the flavor of government cheese. Affinity for government cheese is correlated with low socioeconomic status; however, this correlation also overlaps with who was most likely to receive and consume it.

Government cheese

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

Edited by Martell Spy

13 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

I don't eat meat anymore so kind of redundant, but spam. My nanna had an obsession with hoarding it and having approximately 20 tines at the ready on any given day

I think my granny did something similar with corned beef, and that's a food that I'd be happy to never have again.

11 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I think my granny did something similar with corned beef, and that's a food that I'd be happy to never have again.

She did corned beef too. I think it was related to her being old enough to remember rationing during the war. Generally she always liked to have a well stocked pantry of non-perishables

29 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

But homemade rice pudding with the skin and the burnt bits of rice with a thin  sprinkle of sugar for crunch and a splash of milk to cool it down is so good. If we had a bit of a shit tea my mam or nanna would always make up for it with a fuck off big dish of rice pudding because they could make a big serving for so little

Northern savages! :P The skin is the worst bit! :ack:

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The US had huge surpluses of dairy products. There was so much butter they stored tons of the stuff in caves.

Meh. We Europeans built a freakin' mountain out of our excess butter.

Peanut butter.  A little of that shit goes a long way.  And I can't stand the taste of whole milk either anymore.  Skim is so much more refreshing.

I have a vague memory of having tasted government cheese.  I don't recall it being actively offensive, but it was pretty far from a gourmet product.  Very bland.