Heroes

EHK for Darwin

The idea of matching up uber-suggestible Mohinder and mind-controlling Matt seems like a recipe for relationship disaster, tbo.

Actually, Mohinder seems far too clueless and naive for any match-making, atm. Did anyone else notice that he had no clue what to think about Elle fawning all over him?

Oh yeah, Mohinder would end up being Matt's faithful hound. Honestly, I couldn't believe quite how naive Mohinder has become. His conflict between his loyalty to Bennet and the Company's agenda was well played out in the earlier episodes, with him refusing to inject people, to do this or that, yet also refusing to follow Bennet's increasingly selfish plan...but in this episode I kind of wanted to smack him a bit.

And yeah, it was amusing that he was totally bemused by the way Elle was flirting with him. Maybe she should have shocked him.

On the other hand, I wish West would just die already. I can't stand him. They could have just stuck with Claire's old friend from Odessa, the guy who made the videos for her. West is annoying.

And that whole gimmick of spelling out "SORRY" with the stones and Claire's lame attempt at an explanation ("I'm...just a cheerleader!")

They should not write teen romance on this show. Ever.

Damnit Regina, you beat me to the "shocking" pun.

Mohinder's tendency to believe everything told to him is comical. After all that planning with Bennett to take the company down, all it took was the picture of a dead guy to turn him.

"See the dead man in this picture, Dr. Suresh? Bennett killed him. He's a bad guy"

"OK Bob, let's go kill him then." :bang:

I might be way, way out there on this one, but for some reason I've got it in my head that it's all an act, that Mohinder and Bennett are continuing to play Bob. It might be a reach (but what the hell in this show isn't), but I think everything Mohinder has done, has been to further infiltrate the company and build trust with Bob. I think the conversations where he argues with Bennett are staged, for fear of, or in the hopes of, being monitored by Bob or Elle (and by the way, are they the only employees of the "company" that we ever see? kinda poor), and the shooting I believe was also staged. Now Bob will have no doubt about Mohinder's loyalty to the company.

Now, assuming this is right (and to take it to another level of implausibility), I know Bob was the one who took Claire's blood, but theoretically Mohinder would have access to it. We don't see Bob at the end, so we're not even sure if it was Bob who is reviving HRG. Could it be Mohinder without Bob's knowledge?

Or we could go with the popular belief that Mohinder is a douchebag. I'm just sayin.

And that whole gimmick of spelling out "SORRY" with the stones and Claire's lame attempt at an explanation ("I'm...just a cheerleader!")

They should not write teen romance on this show. Ever.

Lol, I'd already blocked that particular bit from my mind.

But speaking of cheerleading, should Claire be wearing her uniform to classes? Maybe my age is showing, but at my school cheerleaders could only wear their uniforms at actual games/rallies/etc. Any girl who walked into the school in the morning in that uniform would have been sent home so fast her head would have been spinning. /end old lady rant :P

I might be way, way out there on this one, but for some reason I've got it in my head that it's all an act, that Mohinder and Bennett are continuing to play Bob. It might be a reach (but what the hell in this show isn't), but I think everything Mohinder has done, has been to further infiltrate the company and build trust with Bob. I think the conversations where he argues with Bennett are staged, for fear of, or in the hopes of, being monitored by Bob or Elle (and by the way, are they the only employees of the "company" that we ever see? kinda poor), and the shooting I believe was also staged. Now Bob will have no doubt about Mohinder's loyalty to the company.

Now, assuming this is right (and to take it to another level of implausibility), I know Bob was the one who took Claire's blood, but theoretically Mohinder would have access to it. We don't see Bob at the end, so we're not even sure if it was Bob who is reviving HRG. Could it be Mohinder without Bob's knowledge?

Or we could go with the popular belief that Mohinder is a douchebag. I'm just sayin.

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun. It wrote itself, ya know?

And I hope you're right about Mohinder working with Noah still. That would be great. Can we email this idea to the show now, while there is still hope?

That would be great, but I don't think they went that route. Too many things have happened to suggest otherwise. The shooting was real, to start with.

I don't know how old you are, Regina, but I've been out of high school for about 10 years, and at my high school, on the day of games, the athletes were required to wear dress shirts and ties, and the cheerleaders were required (allowed and slutty?) to wear their uniforms.

Well, we know the virus won't kill Adam, and neither will blowing him up, but has it been established that the Haitian can/can't nullify that particular ability. In that case, just hide the Haitian somewhere, and Adam would willingly take a shot, being the overconfident immortal that he is, and that would take care of it.

Dittoes on Bennett coming back. Don't get me wrong, I was sad that he was dead, but that was kind of the point, and now it's sort of ruined.

West didn't bother me so much until this episode. "What are you dooooiiiinnnggg???" Ugh.

That would be great, but I don't think they went that route. Too many things have happened to suggest otherwise. The shooting was real, to start with.

It will be just one more disappointment if they don't go that route, but at least I give them credit for upping the quality the past couple of episodes, even if only marginally. And when I said I thought the shooting was staged, I meant that Mohinder shot Bennett with the knowledge that he could be saved with Claire's blood. But even as I type that, I realize that's a stretch for Mohinder to know that with certainty.

If they came up with a believable scenario that Bennett & Mohinder actually are playing Bob that would certainly make up for some of the idiocy we've seen. But I don't see that kind of complication within the skill and imagination of these writers. That would be a helluva twist coming from this crew of dolts.

Game day - damn straight, cheerleaders wear their uniforms and players wear their jerseys.

I don't know how old you are, Regina, but I've been out of high school for about 10 years, and at my high school, on the day of games, the athletes were required to wear dress shirts and ties, and the cheerleaders were required (allowed and slutty?) to wear their uniforms.

Well, I'm not that much older, then.

Of course, it could also be a regional thing. It's way too cold here to wear nothing but a cheerleading uniform most of the time, lol.

/thread hijack

They could have just stuck with Claire's old friend from Odessa, the guy who made the videos for her.

The actor and his agents proved to be difficult regarding the original plans for the character (namely, that he was going to be gay). So they kind of scaled back their plans for him.

I am glad I could amuse with the pun. :D

The actor and his agents proved to be difficult regarding the original plans for the character (namely, that he was going to be gay). So they kind of scaled back their plans for him.

Oh, I see. Damn, I would have liked it if he was gay.

1) There are no gay characters yet (I still think Mohinder/Matt or Mohinder/Sylar or Matt/Sylar...something should happen)

2) A gay best friend would prevent Claire from having her lame-ass romances

And people with their blood will never die? That's a very clumsy solution - and Adam must die. But what on earth can kill Adam?

If his power is identical to Claire's, he could be killed. He'll just revive once what ever is sticking through his brain is removed.

Either way, Nathan, West, or Peter could eliminate Adam by accelerating with him to escape velocity and then releasing him into the void of space.

So predictable. Still loving the show mind you. At least the whole Kensei thing is making sense now. Except he's been puttering around all this time how if he was supposed to be locked up?

He was locked up until he and Peter escaped. From the timing (only about 7 days have passed in the last nine episodes), it looks like Peter and Adam/Kensei escaped, Peter gets shipped off to Ireland and then a few days later, around the time he arrives in Cork, is when Adam/Kensei kills Sulu.

2) A gay best friend would prevent Claire from having her lame-ass romances

The cheerleader who was friendly towards Claire and voted her into the squad after they took down the cliched drunken bitchy cheerleader was supposed to be gay as well, but they seem to have edited out her entire friendship with Claire and reduced her to a bit-part. Hmm.

I've had a few trusted friends recommend that I watch this show, but I am not really a fan of superheroes. (I know that they are not superheroes!). But I like to know that series are actually maintaining their quality and sense of direction over time, which was a mistake I made with Battlestar Galactica. So while I expect a great deal of "yes" answers, would you recommend that I watch Heroes?

The cheerleader who was friendly towards Claire and voted her into the squad after they took down the cliched drunken bitchy cheerleader was supposed to be gay as well, but they seem to have edited out her entire friendship with Claire and reduced her to a bit-part. Hmm.

Interesting. That could have made for a much more intriguing storyline.

I've had a few trusted friends recommend that I watch this show, but I am not really a fan of superheroes. (I know that they are not superheroes!). But I like to know that series are actually maintaining their quality and sense of direction over time, which was a mistake I made with Battlestar Galactica. So while I expect a great deal of "yes" answers, would you recommend that I watch Heroes?

Not at this time, no. The series might pick itself off the ground, but so far this season has been pretty shitty.

But if you're looking for a show that promises you it will never get stupid... well you might want to stick with buying completed series on DVD. And even then... there's not that many.

It's just the nature of serial drama. Peaks and valleys, yo.

But if you're looking for a show that promises you it will never get stupid... well you might want to stick with buying completed series on DVD. And even then... there's not that many.

Well Blaine, there's always Mad Men. :P

And I was a little disappointed in Parkman. Looks like he's going over to the Dark Side.

Dark side my ass. If I have to listen to one more 'you're just like them' speech in a film or show I think I'm gonna hurl. Mrs. Petrelli manipulated her sons throughout the first season. Was a founder and prime mover behind a Company that actively encouraged the nuking of New York, the 'sneak and peak' abduction of Matt himself, and countless other acts of varying evil. From everything we know, she hasn't been honest for more than 5 minutes straight in her entire life. What credibility does she have to demand that this last secret be kept? Clearly she's important (the lady she was protecting), she's likely a target, and from everything we know Matt and friends' interest in finding her is much stronger than Mrs. Petrelli's interest in hiding her. This was a necessary bit of business that needed to be done.

Turning to the dark side? Bah. Call me when Matt's banging brainwashed supermodels 3 at a time and robbing banks for fun.

What I like about the series, and this episode in particular, is how we still don't really have a clear picture of who is right and who is wrong. Bennet and Bob are equally sympathetic and frightening, especially when Bennet told Elle about what Bob did to her. That was pretty shocking.

Ambiguity is fine, but this show is so riddled with internal inconsistencies that even when they do come out and say who sits on which shade of gray it probably won't make much sense. Where did Bob fit in that whole nuking of New York thing? Or Adam for that matter? Did Linderman really run things or was he a pawn? Is Maury some suicidal free agent (seriously, storming the company headquarters alone? Pure genius!) or is he working for someone else? What exactly made Adam so dangerous that he had to be locked up? Sure he's immortal, but there are a hell of alot more dangerous powers out there.

And we still have the matter of the Haitian apparently playing errand boy for Mrs. Petrelli back when she was still pro-company, 'Ra Ra! Nuke new York!', yet appearing to betray the company when he mindwiped Bennett (at Bennett's direction) to protect Claire, than he's back with the company again in '4 months ago', only to betray them again and play the Penn and Teller routine with Bennet a few weeks later. Seriously, I've stopped trying to sort all that shit out.

We've already seen that even the Shanti virus can't do it (Peter was walking around NY with no symptoms when he went to the future).

That doesn't necessarily mean that Peter is immune. It could simply mean that he hasn't run into the Virus yet. NY was pretty much abandoned when he was walking around and I believe the cops that picked him up were suited up, so its entirely likely that he simply didn't run into a carrier. No reason to believe that it lingers in place for a long period of time without any human carriers.

I might be way, way out there on this one, but for some reason I've got it in my head that it's all an act, that Mohinder and Bennett are continuing to play Bob

That would be interesting, but its a mighty big stretch. I can't be certain, but I'm sure at least some of their phone arguments took place away from the company where its likely that noone was tracking them. And they couldn't have any idea that the blood could actually raise the dead in addition to healing the sick.

And if it was all a con, it comes off as a bit too perfect. How would they know that the company monitoring their calls wouldn't react rather negatively to the planned infiltration and destruction? How did they know they know that they'd ever have sufficient justification to make it morally plausible for Mohinder to go along with the snatching of Claire. (couldn't have predicted the infection of Nikki) Would Mohinder really have the balls to let some stranger be executed as 'part of the plan'? How did they know the shit would or could go down without anyone beyond Bennett being hurt? Why would they need to play up the 'I'm about to shoot you Mohinder' bit for West's benefit? And why would they even need to do all this shit at all when they could have just offed Bob and taken a huge chunk of the company down right there?

Too much doesn't fit.

So while I expect a great deal of "yes" answers, would you recommend that I watch Heroes?

First season had problems. Few storylines that were slow or non-starters. Some sketchy acting and clunky dialog. Along with some annoying characters. But overall it was positive. It improved immensely as it went along. The pacing, with some exceptions, was usually pretty good and kept things moving and always promised a big 'HOLY SHIT!' cliffhanger every few episodes. When it ran, it certainly was one of the few shows that I caught myself desperately waiting the whole week for. Fun, entertaining, if a bit flawed. The first season certainly was worth watching all around I think.

I've seen no reason thus far to recommend the second season.

Archived