Newcomb, Episode 3

Daedalus V2.0

You think if I titled a book The Experiences of Tourrette's Syndrome and make it just the word FUCK written 3 times, the word SHIT written once, and repeat those last two phases a couple of million times, I'll make a lot of money?

No, because that would be Literature, and Literature doesn't sell, not matter what Tairy says.

You could win a Pulitzer, though. ;)

• 3 months later...

Hey guys.

I realize this thread has kind of died but I just wanted to inform all the Newcomb fans that someone over at the Agony Booth forums has attempted to do their own review of the series.

I like her. I like her a lot. Especially after she referred to the Sword of Truth as "Terry Goodkind’s creepy Objectivist sex fantasies".

I think someone should register with those forums and direct her to our Newcomb and Goodkind threads. I think she'd feel right at home here.

• 1 year later...

Thread necromancer strikes!

I get the free version of Publishers' Lunch emailed to my inbox, and I was distressed to read this:

Robert Newcomb writing as Robert J Barclay's IF WISHES WERE HORSES, in which a grieving Florida horse rancher decides to reinstate his late wife's equine therapy program for troubled teens but when the widow of the drunk driver who killed his family unexpectedly begs him to admit her young son to the program, he is forced to examine the true natures of love and forgiveness in ways he could have never imagined, to Lucia Macro at William Morrow, in a pre-empt, by Marly Rusoff of Marly Rusoff & Associates (NA).

"Pre-empt" is code for "paid a fuckton of money".

It horrifies me that Newcomb is still getting paid to write.

What horrifies me more is that the premise of this book sounds like something approaching a serious and mature novel. Unless of course the horse rancher at some point says to the boy:

"What's that? I think a village somewhere is missing its idiot" :lol:

But I notice he will be publishing this non-fantasy fiction under a different name, perhaps realising that Robert Newcomb is now associated with badly written trash, in which case why announce it like this?

This is of course completely different to Newcomb's inspiration - Tairy, who also just happens to be writing a book set in the Real World, but we now know that is a Thriller-that-is-not-a-Thriller but is Fantasy Incarnate. Newcomb is surely not going to do the same thing? Perhaps the horse rancher turns out to be a descendant of Tristan? Oh the horror!

But I notice he will be publishing this non-fantasy fiction under a different name, perhaps realising that Robert Newcomb is now associated with badly written trash, in which case why announce it like this?

It's pretty common for authors to have different pen names for different audiences. That way people wanting quality fantasy won't accidentaly pick up his quality rancher book.

:stunned:

This thread prompted me to look at his wiki article and I saw this: On 12/15/08 Robert Newcomb posted on his website that Del Ray will not be publishing any more books in this series and that he has not been able to find a new publisher yet.

Is this true or just wiki hacking? (I saw nothing on his site)

From his forum:

I'm sorry to have to tell you all this, but Del Rey has decided not to continue my fantasy series. Nor has my agent been able to interest another publisher. The sales were not as expected, and times in the publishing industry are especially bad right now. If a book isn't A+, it doesn't get sold.

I now feel like the Allies in WWI after defeating the minor but time-consuming annoyance of the Austrians and forcing them out of the war we now can concentrate all available firepower on the true target, Goodkind, Germany.

Or something like that. This metaphor needs work.

My agent suggests that you start an e-mail campaign with Del Rey, asking them to continue the series. E-mails should be sent to Scott Shannon at: [email protected]., and to Shelly Shapiro at: [email protected], who was my editor. But be advised that ten or twenty e-mails won't suffice--it would have to be in the hundreds to make any kind of a dent. I leave it up to you.

Should we email Scott and Shelly and thank them for stopping the damage being caused the fantasy genre? :pirate:

Though him being published did give me comfort that my quest to get published would be more possible. If they publish his tripe, why not mine? :D

I really feel like we Lemmings are finally starting to make a difference! We are making the world a better place. Now on to Goodkind. And after we can sweep up the mess that is Stanek.

Gonna make a Stanek thread?

I tried that once, but it didn't really work. I think the problem is that nobody has ever actually read any of Stanek's books. If someone wants to go get themselves a Stanek "novel", I think we could get a thread about him off the ground. I nominate you.

My own metaphor to add on top of Wert's:

Newcomb is Vietnam; not a particularly large or important country, but has the backing of the powerful Soviets (Goodkind). And Stanek is Cambodia; nobody's really paying any attention to him, but he is committing some terrible atrocities.

I really feel like we Lemmings are finally starting to make a difference! We are making the world a better place. Now on to Goodkind. And after we can sweep up the mess that is Stanek.

Maybe we can eventually bring down Goodkind, but Stanek is more like Vietnam. You go in to clean it up with the best of the intentions and ten years later you emerge covered in blood gibbering, "The horror! THE HORROR!" with the job not done. I think we need to accept that we have limits.

Those are pretty apt metaphors.

What about Eng?

I hate to say, because it seems the obvious metaphor to make: Eng is North Korea; completely batshit insane, and highly dangerous.

Archived