It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Week

Absolutely wonderful news.

I must say, having watched all 9 seasons in a space of four months, that I'm astonished by how there isn't a single (lead) character that I can single out as being the weakest.

For a while in the first couple of seasons I thought that maybe Dennis was the weakest, simply because I thought he was the most normal(?) But he really comes into his own from season 7(The high school reunion episodes) and culminates in the 1st episode of season 9 "The gang broke Dee".

I must say, having watched all 9 seasons in a space of four months, that I'm astonished by how there isn't a single (lead) character that I can single out as being the weakest.

For a while in the first couple of seasons I thought that maybe Dennis was the weakest, simply because I thought he was the most normal(?) But he really comes into his own from season 7(The high school reunion episodes) and culminates in the 1st episode of season 9 "The gang broke Dee".

Not "The D.E.N.N.I.S. System" in season 5?

Hahaha see now that entire episode along with the scene in "mac & charlie write a movie" where he describes the movie he wrote on his mobile were early signs of his madness. But at the time I didn't really read much into it.

I guess I was still obsessing over charlie & sweet dee, the two most damaged members of the gang.

I completely agree. I see many say that Mac is the weakest/worst of the gang, but I don't see that at all. All the characters are perfect and necessary in their own way.

Also, so glad it was renewed for 2 more seasons.

Dennis and Dee, and their father, are undoubtedly smarter than Mac and Charlie so sometimes it makes them seem more "normal." But they really aren't

Watching the devolution of all the characters (Charlie's stupidity, Mac's gayness/religiousness, Dennis's narcissism, Frank's craziness, Dee's insecurity) throughout the seasons is great. Compare Frank in season 2 and season 8 to see what I'm talking about

EDIT: I wish they didn't kill off country Mac

I completely agree. I see many say that Mac is the weakest/worst of the gang, but I don't see that at all. All the characters are perfect and necessary in their own way.

Mac is my least favourite character. I still like him, but I think Rob McElhenney is by far the worst actor of the bunch, so that sort of undermines the character for me.

It feels like a show where you need them all for it to work. I'd hate to see a season where one of the main four (I guess 5 with Devito but they survived without him initially) were missing as they all serve an important function. I'd agree that Mac is the weakest actor but he is the creator so he's good at writing the jokes.Some of my favourtie moments involve Mac though.

Not "The D.E.N.N.I.S. System" in season 5?

i think he's right. not that dennis system wasnt a great ep but dennis really peaked in season seven. especially in the reunion episode.

i can see how people would say that but its really a shifting balance. mac was by far my favorite in the most recent season

My favourite is Dennis. At the start, he's seemingly the "straight act" of the group, but as the series progresses he's revealed to be the most disturbing person of the bunch. I think next season will finally have the big reveal of his serial killing habits, that's been hinted in the past few seasons.

I guess if I had to say any of them are the weakest... it'd be Frank. I love Frank, and he's just as funny as the rest of them, but I think he's the only one the show could still work without. Season 1 was hilarious in and of itself. The episode where they take the critic hostage was in a later season and didn't have Frank, and that's one of my favorite episodes. Again, he's hilarious, and of course I don't want him to leave, but he's just the only one I think the show could succeed without.

Oh snap! I didn't actually read this until now. I wonder if this means we'll still get to se Boldly Going Nowhere.

The so far untitled comedy that has Tracy Morgan attached sounds interesting. I loved Morgan on 30 Rock and I'm keen on seeing what him teaming up with RCG could yield.

• 6 months later...

Archived