It's back! The Terry Goodkind mauling thread.

Mme Erzulie

Well, I care, actually, and I imagine the rest of the mods do too... litigation is not a great experience.

But quoting from books to make a point (even if mocking the prose) is fair use as far as I know.

Guess someone else will have to carry the torch when I hit page 40, then. Update coming soon.

sorry, Madame, but to my knowledge you were in copyright bone-age the second you hit page eleven, yes?

Ok, one of us needs to have flunked math :). Alternatively, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

1/20th (see Galacti thread) of the book = ca. 800 pages divided by 20 = 40

and what's bone-age??

Pardon a non-native speaker.

Well... I've read three more of his books than I otherwise would have because I kept seeing threads like this and got curious. As as result, I now have three more books that I fume over. Now, I admit that this is not as good as loving the books and worshipping the author, but for someone like Goodkind, I would imagine being hated is the next best thing. The mediocre always hates the people of quality, after all. ;)

What I'm sure he couldn't stand is being ignored... but somehow, I just can't seem to manage ignoring him. I'm weak.

Quoting several pages worth of material and "fisking" it as it's being done now is certainly falls within fair use. No problem with it. But usually it's 20 percent or 1,000 words when looking at longer works like novels, whichever is shortest, that's the standard used at educational facilities, anyways.

So lets not carry this too far.... and I hope no one else takes it up when Mme leaves off. While individually posters of the material might each be cleared for fair use (although, then again, they might all be held to have conspired to violate copyright law), the aggregate of the text could make me liable if it's beyond reasonable fair use amounts.

Quoting several pages worth of material and "fisking" it as it's being done now is certainly falls within fair use. No problem with it. But usually it's 20 percent or 1,000 words, whichever is shortest, that's the standard used at educational facilities, anyways.

So lets not carry this too far.... and I hope no one else takes it up when Mme leaves off. While individually posters of the material might each be cleared for fair use (although, then again, they might all be held to have conspired to violate copyright law), the aggregate of the text could make me liable if it's beyond reasonable fair use amounts.

You could just e-mail Mr. Goodkind and ask his permission Ran mate.

Can't see there being a problem.

Do you know that Terry Goodkind gets more press on this Message board than the [three devoted to him] something is wrong with this picture...

but Hammer, it's sort of like scab-picking. you know it's wrong, useless and quite possibly unhealthy and disgusting -- but it's just so satisfying... I don't mind giving the dweeb press. Anything that keeps the publishing industry afloat and printing fantasy is fine in my world. Because for every GRRM or Bakker, there will always be 5-10 hacks who make a ton of cash.

Ran -- a suggestion. When Mme. Erzulie has finished this noble quest, one of the mods could lock the thread and it could get stickied for posterity... that way, we wouldn't run in copyright issues, but the love won't scroll off the page...

I have no clue what the Con Dar is, I just started at page 12-13 and went from there. I'm not picking the worst scenes here, this is just how terryble the book is. Mind-boggling, I know.

If you never read the rest of the book and the series, how did you know about the demon-infested chicken in book five? :rofl:

"Oh, but tonight was the annual "Thank the good spirits for not infesting us with any demon chickens this year either" festival!"

If you never read the rest of the book and the series, how did you know about the demon-infested chicken in book five? :rofl:

"Oh, but tonight was the annual "Thank the good spirits for not infesting us with any demon chickens this year either" festival!"

How best to explain this? You don't need to live in the US to know that Bush is a dimwit.

PS I'll try to get in an update soon. Can't promise anything, though.

Archived