The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

On 9/11/2023 at 5:06 AM, Ran said:

Has there been some CSS change? Everything is in italics.

@Thomaerys Velaryon

Which image in the infobox? The Criston Cole image? it seems to work okay.

As to the other query, I would agree that people who are members of the Militant Orders should get the symbol of the Faith.

I fixed the error with the Criston Cole image, so that's ok.  I don't see any issues with italics, and I don't see any recent changes to the CSS, but perhaps it's my browser? If you could post a screencap of what you're seeing, I'll try and track the problem down.

6 hours ago, Mindset said:

I fixed the error with the Criston Cole image, so that's ok.  I don't see any issues with italics, and I don't see any recent changes to the CSS, but perhaps it's my browser? If you could post a screencap of what you're seeing, I'll try and track the problem down.

It seemed to be something to do with a cached CSS file or something. My computer was acting as if none of the specified fonts worked so for some reason went Italic. Fixed it on my end.

3 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

@Ran

The summery on the file page of the Alyssa Royce depiction calls her Oatricia Redwyne. And the page for Clarice Osgrey says that we can't be sure whether she was an Osgrey by birth or marriage, but wouldn't she have been called by her husband's family name if she had been an Osgrey by birth?

Thanks for catching the error.

The second one, I'm not sure, we see that to some degree there can be some variation in how women are referred that all depends on things like their demeanor and how long it's been since they were widowed, if they had children or not, etc. Catelyn gets called Catelyn Tully at times and Cersei gets called Cersei Lannister pretty much always, so... yeah, I don't think it's a given.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 8:07 AM, Mindset said:

I think it has something to do with @Abjiklam recently changing the default image size for the infobox? Not sure why that was changed (especially considering that so many pages have images set to sizes to match the previous default image size). I'll change it back for the moment to see if it helps.

This is a general problem on this wiki. Sometimes it decides it cannot render an image to new, presumably not yet cached, dimensions. It's happened before with particularly large SVG files, but I guess it also happens with raster images.  I assume it happens when the cache for a file gets too large, but I have no idea whether that's the case and how one might go about fixing it.

4 minutes ago, Abjiklam said:

This is a general problem on this wiki. Sometimes it decides it cannot render an image to new, presumably not yet cached, dimensions. It's happened before with particularly large SVG files, but I guess it also happens with raster images.  I assume it happens when the cache for a file gets too large, but I have no idea whether that's the case and how one might go about fixing it.

If you give me a list of files -- the links to the actual files themselves, not the wiki pages, if possible -- I can investigate.

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

If you give me a list of files -- the links to the actual files themselves, not the wiki pages, if possible -- I can investigate.

I've already reuploaded all the known problematic SVGs under new names, but next time this happens I'll let you know.

On 10/3/2023 at 1:15 PM, Abjiklam said:

@Ran Looks like I've been signed out from the wiki too :)

When I try to sign in, I get the following message:

That's something to do with a wiki session cache, I had a similar problem here. And I've run into the edit problem a few times since, though waiting a few hours relieves the issue (as long as I don't sign out). The wiki may not be clearing the cache often enough?

On 10/3/2023 at 8:03 PM, Ran said:

I've found one image giving issue: File:House Magnar.svg.

The PNG render at 250px width is working fine (250px-House_Magnar.svg.png), but not at 32px width (32px-House_Magnar.svg.png).

When accessing the link directly, a "404 - Not Found" error is returned. Meanwhile, inserting the image in a wiki page leads to the following message: "Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination".

@Mindset and @Potsk have raised an issue with the naming convention in the characters infobox on the wiki recently.

Should we continue to avoid spoiler in the name part header of the infobox ? The time of the GOT show is passed and the weight book spoilers had in the past has lessened over the years. Is avoiding spoilers for the main series of books still a priority these days ?

For example, should we continue to refer to Bronn in the infobox as simply "Bronn" as he is known at the start of the series, or "Ser Bronn of the Blackwater" as he is known by the end of ACOK, or "Lord Bronn" or even "Lord Bronn Stokeworth" as he likes to be known by the end of AFFC ?

It's not like the naming convention we use has been 100% spoiler proof. Kings have always been refer as such, even if we meet them prior to their coronation (e.g. King Robb Stark).

I'd like people to give their opinion on this issue, so we can all respect the same naming schema for everyone and keep the wiki coherent.

@Ran @The Wondering Wolf @Abjiklam @Gonzalo @Nittanian