NFL Thread IV: The Hype Machine Continues

BLU-RAY

Can someone please explain how, should the Colts lose this Sunday to a team that has had their number the majority of games played this decade, it means they're suddenly vulnerable?

Or how them losing to a good team means 8-0 is not "indicative" of their record?

I'm trying hard to understand this but am failing. Maybe it's because the Colts are the best team in the league right now and fans of other AFC teams are looking for any way somehow negate this?

Because if you're 8-0, you're amazingly awesome and better than anyone by orders of magnitudes and can't be beaten. Other teams should just roll over and worship your shiny trophies.

But if you're 8-1 - OMG, you can be beaten! You aren't made up of godlings!

Same thing happens in college football. It's very odd to me too.

If the Colts die a horrible death (similar to the Saints/Giants game) I'd say they're vulnerable, and likely that they're not as good a team as their record indicates by a good margin. But if they play a close game and lose to the Pats, they're likely to be just another good team.

How's Cutler treating you, btw?

The prevailing notion around Chicagland is that as long as Cutler is not injured due to the ineffectiveness of the offensive line to hold the pocket, then the season will be a success.

Building on that success means finding better people to keep Cutler alive before the Jared Allens of the world put his lights out.

If Orton were still with the Bears they would be around 2-6 at this point. That's an assumption based on the team assembled more than on the QB, BTW.

Because if you're 8-0, you're amazingly awesome and better than anyone by orders of magnitudes and can't be beaten. Other teams should just roll over and worship your shiny trophies.

But if you're 8-1 - OMG, you can be beaten! You aren't made up of godlings!

Same thing happens in college football. It's very odd to me too.

If the Colts die a horrible death (similar to the Saints/Giants game) I'd say they're vulnerable, and likely that they're not as good a team as their record indicates by a good margin. But if they play a close game and lose to the Pats, they're likely to be just another good team.

Well the Colts schedule gets a little tough starting now. Patriots, Ravens, Texans, Titans, Broncos, Jags, Jets and what may either be the deciding game for AFC playoff standings or a garbage game against the Bills. Titans, Jags and Jets only have pride and the ability to be the spoiler to play for, and the first two will certainly try their damnedest to knock the Colts down a peg or two.

Should be an interesting last half of the season to watch.

The prevailing notion around Chicagland is that as long as Cutler is not injured due to the ineffectiveness of the offensive line to hold the pocket, then the season will be a success.

Building on that success means finding better people to keep Cutler alive before the Jared Allens of the world put his lights out.

If Orton were still with the Bears they would be around 2-6 at this point. That's an assumption based on the team assembled more than on the QB, BTW.

110% agreed. Orton in there this year would have been even more sickening to behold. Cutler has been one of the few bright spots on the team.

Only the most deluded of Chicago fans figured Cutler automatically lead the Bears to the playoffs and beyond his first year. Most of us knew the team had major problems and now those problems have been magnified tenfolds. We need an offensive line and a secondary. We need an offensive and defensive coordinator who can make adjustments at halftime. We need a wide receivers coach who will teach our young receivers to keep on playing rather than giving up once Cutler starts to scramble.

Most of all we need a GM and owner who won't be afraid to go spend some more money on a few stud free agents to compliment the team.

Can someone please explain how, should the Colts lose this Sunday to a team that has had their number the majority of games played this decade, it means they're suddenly vulnerable?

The most objectionable word in that sentence would be "suddenly." Its not "sudden." The Colts have looked a little shaky in their last two games. Was it injuries, bad play or something else? If they now lose to the Pats, at home, there are questions. Now if the Colts get wrecked (lose by 13 or more points) its a really tough loss for them and it may be a "blueprint" on how to beat them. I don't think that this will be what will happen.

If they play a tight game and lose, then its probably no bog deal, except that the doubts that were raised with their wins over the 49'ers and Texans are suddenly magnified with the loss.

However, if the Colts win- no matter how they win -it will likely be good evidence that their problems the last two games were passing and not more permanent.

In other words, I think we are going to learn a lot more about the Colts and Pats by 11:30 Sunday night.

To be fair to the Colts, the Texans are a really good team and the 49ers have potential to play well.
Doesn't really excuse barely beating Jacksonville, or requiring Houston to miss a FG.

I'm not saying they're a bad team; they're clearly a decent one. But they've not beaten anyone that I would say is a playoff team, and they've come close to losing against some meh teams. The odd thing is that it looks like either they went too cute (halfback option vs SF to win the game? end arounds and Wayne passes vs Houston?) or they just aren't getting the RB play they need. Their defense has looked great by comparison though, and really hasn't seemed to skip a beat.

However flawed the Colts may be, just remember that going into the playoffs last year people thought the Steelers were too flawed to be serious contenders, because of their lack of a running game and the constant pressure on Roethlisberger.

It is worth noting, though, that the three or four best players in Indy's secondary are out for the rest of the year. I'm hoping Moss and Welker can burn their corners like they did in the Miami game.

The Colts' offense was mostly stymied by San Francisco and Houston. It's just that those teams honked it at the end of the game, and Manning put together enough critical plays at the end of the game to pull it out. Funnily, that was the Pats' typical method of victory before the Brady-Moss-Welker juggernaut was assembled.

The thing is that there are no dominant teams this year. And strangely enough, the teams that seem to be closest to that, as far as I can tell, are NFC teams: the Saints and the Vikings (barring, of course, another late-season collapse of Favre's gunslingin' arm).

It is worth noting, though, that the three or four best players in Indy's secondary are out for the rest of the year. I'm hoping Moss and Welker can burn their corners like they did in the Miami game.
That's true, but kind of a weird way of looking at it. Bob Sanders hasn't played in more than two games this year. Marlin Jackson was their nickel corner. Both are out - but how important are they to the team? They managed to hold Owen Daniels to 60 yards, they've mostly been meh against the run, and they've not really had problems with coverage or people putting up a lot of points on 'em.

Honestly, the weakness of the Colts should be the run and the power football, not the pass. I'd be surprised if NE put up a ton of yards/points on 'em via the passing game. I'd be less surprised if NE did 15-play drives where it's mostly run after run after run, and kept Manning off the field as much as he could.

I'd be less surprised if NE did 15-play drives where it's mostly run after run after run, and kept Manning off the field as much as he could.

That's really the way to do it. You don't want to get into a gunslinging contest with Peyton Manning. You want Manning sitting on the bench while your running game wears out the Colts defense so that by games end, after Manning has inevitably brought the offense back to score the tying/game-leading touchdown, the defense is so tired that you can then march down the field and tie it up or win the game as the clock runs out.

As for injuries on defense, Bob Sanders has proven that when he's in the game he makes the Colts D better. That doesn't mean when he's out they're bad. The Marlin Jackson injury will hurt the team, but that's really it.

Indianapolis has mostly a young, fast defense; I think the defensive line is a little older. Kelvin Heyden is the oldest DB and he's only 26. The fact that they've played this well means they're only going to get better or the bottom is going to drop out. Since the D is obligated to play as well as their offense, I think they're either going to stay at this level or just get better.

That's really the way to do it. You don't want to get into a gunslinging contest with Peyton Manning. You want Manning sitting on the bench while your running game wears out the Colts defense so that by games end, after Manning has inevitably brought the offense back to score the tying/game-leading touchdown, the defense is so tired that you can then march down the field and tie it up or win the game as the clock runs out.

The Dolphins had some kind of crazy record-setting Time of Possession advantage against the Colts and still lost. I guess the lesson is, you can grind out long drives and keep Manning on the sideline as a path to success, as long as your offense actually gets some scores and your defense stops Manning from time to time.

The Dolphins had some kind of crazy record-setting Time of Possession advantage against the Colts and still lost. I guess the lesson is, you can grind out long drives and keep Manning on the sideline as a path to success, as long as your offense actually gets some scores and your defense stops Manning from time to time.

Exactly.

And that would have been the blueprint on how to beat the Colts if Miami's so- called "Defense" had not given up TD's in less then two minutes of Manning seeing the field.

These two teams that are struggling to save their respective seasons tonight are putting on a clinic. A clinic about how to play like a team that needs to save it's season in week 10.

As a 49er fan, I apologise to anyone who had to sit through this.

I'm glad Chicago hasn't given up on Jay like Denver did. Of course everyone in Denver loved him and thought he was amazing until he wanted to leave. He'll do great. He is tough as hell, he'll survive this season.

And it seems like the receivers are coming alive with him throwing the ball.

I'm glad Chicago hasn't given up on Jay like Denver did. Of course everyone in Denver loved him and thought he was amazing until he wanted to leave. He'll do great. He is tough as hell, he'll survive this season.

And it seems like the receivers are coming alive with him throwing the ball.

I am legitimately having trouble deciding whether this was sarcastic (Cutler, for those of you scoring at home, just threw 5 picks).

That was an awful, awful game, and I didn't even have to watch it.

Archived