NFL VI - I'm dreaming of a White Christmas...

Mya Stone

Yeah, it's kind of a catch-22 isn't it? If you do so well that you earn a 1st round bye then you are going to lose because you are rusty when you have to play. If you end up having to play a wild card game, then you are struggling and might just get knocked out early by some late charging upstart, and even if you win, you will be worn out and suffering injuries when you face your rested and "fresh" opponent who had the 1st round bye.

For a long time the wild card teams never amounted to much in the playoffs, but more recent history has dispelled that myth along with the lack of domed SB champs, etc. Home field advantage in the playoffs is usually a good advantage, but it means more to some teams than others.

No matter what the various advantages and disadvantages are, you still have to show up and win on the day you are scheduled to play, and you have to beat whomever fate has decided will be on the other sideline.

Shanahan in Chicago...dare I dream? That would be tremendous, especially if we can find a good defensive coordinator to pair with him.

Rumor also has it he'd want to bring along Bob Slowik, the guy who fielded the worst defense in the history of the NFL, I think. A defense that had Champ Bailey on it. But it looks like Adam Schefter debunked the rumor (which he started):

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4663906/shefter-shanahan-will-not-coach-chicago-bears

Shanny may be saying he won't consider the job until Lovie is officially fired.

Fear the Slowik.

Yeah, it's kind of a catch-22 isn't it? If you do so well that you earn a 1st round bye then you are going to lose because you are rusty when you have to play
I think this is also a bad thought, mostly propagated by the Colts sucking the last couple of years as the 1st seed. But the Titans didn't look rusty against Baltimore last year; they just got beat, flat out. The Colts didn't look rusty; they've always struggled against SD (2008 & 7) and lost to the eventual SB champs (2005). The Pats didn't look rusty in any of their playoff games in 2007. Chicago didn't in 2006. Seattle didn't in 2005. Pitt didn't last year. The Pats didn't in 2003 or 2004, nor did Philadelphia in 2004. Oakland didn't look rusty in 2002.

Here's the thing: for the most part, teams are good enough and close enough in talent that games aren't decided by things like rustiness. I mean, these are playoff-caliber teams. The record of most teams after a bye game is quite high in their favor (like 60%) - why aren't they getting rusty? No, the issue is simple: matchups, blind luck and injuries play a big part in who wins and who loses games, and home field advantage isn't as huge as it used to be.

And with that in mind - in general, the fewer games you have to play in the playoffs, the better. That first round bye is valuable simply because if you're a good team, it gives you fewer chances to be screwed by luck.

[quote name='Ser Possum' date='29 December 2009 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1262113274' post='

Another rumor I've read is that they might offer the job to the offensive coordinator from the Titans. I forget his name, something long beginning with a K. He has all kinds of ties to Chicago and has helped to mold QBs like Steve McNair and now Vince Young (who was thought of as a major bust but maybe has turned that around this season).

6 Cowboys made the Pro Bowl: DeMarcus Ware, Miles Austin, Jay Ratliff, Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis, and Jason Witten. I'd say Tony Romo should have made it but then again the NFC has had a great year of QB play. Favre and Brees I'm sure were locks and I don't know who the 3rd was. Romo was down in TD throws but up in rating, comp. percentage and WAY down in int. throws. Austin will probably cause the most debate since he didn't start until week 5.

The Pro Bowl will be intersting this year since it's a week before the Super Bowl. I'm sure none of the Super Bowl Pro Bowlers will play. So even more players will be named. And I'll see first hand since I will be going to the Pro Bowl this year. :thumbsup:

No Bengals made the Pro Bowl which is quite annoying. I understand Benson not getting in with MJD, Rice and Johnson having great years but Leon Hall (or Jonathan Joseph) should have made it over Bailey. I'd even throw Whitworth out there as deserving over Thomas but maybe not.

Rodgers was the third. Pretty easy choice considering his year. Manning, Rivers and Brady made it in the AFC. Interesting to see Desean Jackson be one of the two starters at WR, but the NFC was a bit weak at WR this year.

yah I can't argue with that. He has had a great year. Boy the talking heads will have a ball with Favre and Rodgers on the same team. Every movement will be diagnosed.

This really annoys me. These are the stats for the 3 Pro Bowl CBs and the 2 Bengals CBs. Unbelievable. Revis deserves it as the best corner in football. But it's clear that Hall and Joseph deserve it as well.

Interceptions Passes Defensed Tackles

Johnathan Joseph 6 26 66

Leon Hall 6 30 67

Darrelle Revis 6 37 54

Champ Bailey 3 16 72

Nnamdi Asomugha 1 5 34

5 Pro Bowlers for the Ravens. 3 for the Steelers. 2 for the Browns. 0 for the Bengals.

ETA: Sigh, formatting didn't work out as it does when I edit it. Oh well.

:laugh: Pro Bowl isn't stats?! Come on Mexal you're not a 12 year old fan boy, you know that the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest. It is not a matter of deserving, it is simply name recognition. The voting ended, what 4 weeks ago? Besides with the way the Pro Bowl is set up this year only the losers will be playing.

This is why it's been a crying shame that it took Devin Hester getting injured for Aromashodu to get quality playing time. Cutler developed a bond with this guy way back in training camp and has been begging for him to get snaps all year long. The last few weeks we've seen why, as he's been a consistent bright spot for the offense.

As I said before, if Lovie stays he needs to basically have all powers stripped from him.

Devin Hester has been a disaster from the start. He should never have been made a WR, let alone a WR1...

Lovie isn't going to be stripped of any powers if he gets to stay. Sadly, he thinks he deserves them. And if he doesn't actually get fired, he's going to feel even more empowered...

The Vikings are in something of a must-win situation if they want a first-round bye. But it's not the end of the world if they lose, though their opponent at that point would be somewhat tougher and they'd have a tougher row to hoe.0

The Vikings have everything to play for. Getting that second bye means that, even if they have to go to New Orleans, they don't have to go outside for a playoff game prior to the Superbowl. Either they win their first game and then go to New Orleans or they win their first game and whomever beats New Orleans comes to them. They need this first round bye. You guys knew that though. :P

The Pro Bowl will be intersting this year since it's a week before the Super Bowl. I'm sure none of the Super Bowl Pro Bowlers will play. So even more players will be named. And I'll see first hand since I will be going to the Pro Bowl this year. :thumbsup:

Wait. I knew it was in Miami and not Hawaii this year...but it's before the Superbowl? I missed that. Talk about giving it even less meaning...

This really annoys me. These are the stats for the 3 Pro Bowl CBs and the 2 Bengals CBs. Unbelievable. Revis deserves it as the best corner in football. But it's clear that Hall and Joseph deserve it as well.

Interceptions Passes Defensed Tackles

Johnathan Joseph 6 26 66

Leon Hall 6 30 67

Darrelle Revis 6 37 54

Champ Bailey 3 16 72

Nnamdi Asomugha 1 5 34

5 Pro Bowlers for the Ravens. 3 for the Steelers. 2 for the Browns. 0 for the Bengals.

ETA: Sigh, formatting didn't work out as it does when I edit it. Oh well.

Nnamdi Asomugha is the best CB in the league despite what the numbers say. It's not even close, and he deservedly gets the PB nod because no one throws at him.

And I like the Pro Bowl being before the super bowl. The only issue of course being that players in the super bowl won't compete (or even attend really). But I always hated the 2 week gap. Good to have the pro bowl in there while the season is still going.

And I like the Pro Bowl being before the super bowl. The only issue of course being that players in the super bowl won't compete (or even attend really). But I always hated the 2 week gap. Good to have the pro bowl in there while the season is still going.

I agree. The Pro Bowl is pretty stupid generally, and having it after the Super Bowl was absurd. Sure, it means that two teams won't get to send their players to the game, but I'm sure they won't mind.

I don't know too much about Cinci's corners, having only seen them play a couple times this year. But stats for cornerbacks are pretty dicey. If a cornerback had a game with 0 ints, 0 batted passes and 0 tackles, it is entirely possible that he still had a great game.

I'll admit to being a little pissed the London Fletcher still hasn't made the pro bowl. That guy is a machine, and bordering on hall of fame numbers, but just because he doesn't prance around after every tackle, he doesn't get much notice.

I was glad Haynesworth didn't get in; he didn't deserve it. Orakpo getting a nod is cool, since he's a rookie and all, but I also don't see how he deserved it. He had a great rookie year, and has a very promising future, but he only had a big impact on a handful of games defensively.

Nnamdi Asomugha is the best CB in the league despite what the numbers say. It's not even close, and he deservedly gets the PB nod because no one throws at him.

No one has to throw to them. Oakland was ranked 28th against the run and their 2nd and 3rd corner blow. Why would they throw on Aso? Also, he only stays on one side of the field so if opposing teams want to get their WRs free, they move them around for match ups. He's a solid corner, I don't disagree, but when the rest of the team around you blows, it's easy to get completely avoided.

Revis is a true shutdown corner. He follows the top WR around the field and limits them to ridiculously low numbers. He has high pass defensed cause he's always on the #1 and he's one of the main reasons their defense is ranked 1st in the pass.

The Bengals are ranked 14th at the moment but it's mainly due to RBs, TEs and 3rd receivers getting yards (lost our two starting safeties and our 3rd corner up until week 5 was a safety). Not against Hall or Joseph. With the #2 ranked rushing defense, teams pass more and that means Hall and Joseph get a ton of passes thrown their way. That's why they have the stats. You can say they're worthless for a corner but they're not when teams are throwing on you. Without those two players, our defense isn't top 5 especially since most of the sacks these days are coverage sacks.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about it because 90% of you have never seen a Bengals game this year, but it's clear to me, bias and all, that Hall or Joseph was completely screwed, especially with Bailey making the team.

Chad said it best though.

Just been informed myself nor any of my teammates made the Pro Bowl-bengal fans we wouldn't be abe to play in it anyway! SUPER BOWL BABY!!!

Pro Bowl year after year with nothing else to look forward to--this year no pro bowl but a chance at The Lombardi-damit ill take it-WHO DEY

Win or lose, at least it's the right attitude.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about it because 90% of you have never seen a Bengals game this year, but it's clear to me, bias and all, that Hall or Joseph was completely screwed, especially with Bailey making the team.

Who cares, honestly? It's the Pro Bowl. As someone earlier said, it's just a big popularity contest and the Bengals, until they win their division or make the playoffs several years in a row, are not popular. It's sad, yes, but it's the way the NFL goes. I've seen the Bengals play at least one game this season and I still couldn't tell you who any of their starting players are outside of Benson, Palmer and Chad Johnson.

No one has to throw to them. Oakland was ranked 28th against the run and their 2nd and 3rd corner blow. Why would they throw on Aso? Also, he only stays on one side of the field so if opposing teams want to get their WRs free, they move them around for match ups. He's a solid corner, I don't disagree, but when the rest of the team around you blows, it's easy to get completely avoided.
If you don't think Asomugha is the best corner in the league, you're utterly insane. Sorry, it's as simple as that. The biggest way to look at this is look at how many attempts and defenses the other corners on the raiders have; when you do that and compare it, it's ridiculously stark.

FO had to invent new ways to measure how good Asomugha is, because last year he has so few pass attempts against him that he was literally below the threshold of measurability.

He's ridiculous.

Revis is similarly awesome, but people have shown more willingness to throw at him. Manning/Wayne actually made him look pretty mortal. He's great and might be as good as Asomugha, but saying that Asomugha is average or solid? Craziness.

Archived