NFL Thread 12

Rhom

Is it draft day yet? <_< A long night for me. The Patriots were definitely out coached. When you have two weeks to prepare for a home game and you lose there is no excuse. I kept yelling at the TV for more BJGE. He still doesn't fumble the football! :tantrum:

I don't know where the Patriots will find the receiver of the future. In free agency or the coming draft, but Brandon Tate is not the answer.

Beyond wanting the Jets to lose and the Pro Bowl to turn into Pro Ping pong I have nothing else to root for.

Is it draft day yet? <_< A long night for me. The Patriots were definitely out coached. When you have two weeks to prepare for a home game and you lose there is no excuse. I kept yelling at the TV for more BJGE. He still doesn't fumble football! :tantrum:

I don't know where the Patriots will find the receiver of the future. In free agency or the coming draft, but Brandon Tate is not answer.

Beyond wanting the Jets to lose and the Pro Bowl to turn into Pro Ping pong I have nothing else to root for.

You have 2 picks in first round, 2nd and 3rd. This draft is deep with receivers. You should be able to get Blackmon or Jones with the first pick or wait until the 2nd and have quite a few options.

Still can't get over how the Jets backed up their bluster. The Football Gods tend to punish hubris. But Cromartie and Edwards both played great and justified their often absurd trash talk. Rex Ryan too. He said he was going to outscoach Darth Hoodie and so he did. For weeks this felt like a team whose bark is worse than its bite. But fuck, you gotta hand it to them, they win playoff football games in hostile environments. If they can now go to Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers they'll have knocked off the NFL's three most dominant franchises over the past decade in successive weeks. That is nothing to sneeze at. They could implode next season, win 4 games total, and you'd still have to tip your cap to what they accomplished this year. Still can't stand a lot of players on that team, but guess I now gotta respect them. Which sucks.

The shock still hasn't worn off. The Chicago Bears are going to host the NFC Championship game. I don't think even the biggest homers thought that was possible.

The Football Gods tend to punish hubris.

Honestly, I think they did. The Patriots were wrong in not allowing their players to have the back and forth with the Jets that I think they needed. In refusing to allow his players to vent and build up the pressure, Belichick was essentially saying, "we're better than that. We're better than you and we'll show you just like we did last time."

It didn't work. The Jets were fired up to an extreme level while the Patriots just looked like they were there. It was just another day at the office, and that was simply the wrong path to take. When you're up against your rivals, who happen to be the biggest shit-talkers in the league and who you humiliated weeks ago, you need to let them know that you have their number off and on the field. The Patriots couldn't do one - really, Wes Welker gets disciplined for his harmless interview? - and that affected their ability to do the other.

I can't wait for the sweet sweet tears of the New England fans. Either that or their inconspicuous absence.

Right. A New England fan who talked trash all over these threads and disappeared after this loss would be pretty lame. About as lame as someone who hardly ever posts in NFL threads, waits until the Pats lose a big game, and then shows up to crow. Maybe you and Zadok could throw a little day-after party.

I've suffered through worse losses than this and shown up to congratulate the other team.

I just gotta remind myself, we've been playing with house money since the second half of the season. Most of us expected, at best, a wildcard run when the season started.

grozeng, I'll be on and off this thread for the afternoon, awaiting my sig punishment.

Also, go Pack!

Sanchez is 4-1 in the playoffs and he had a great rating today.

Also, Sanchez wasn't sacked and Brady was sacked five times.

I was thinking a bit about this today and wondering why he was sacked so much despite having that much time in the pocket, and what I determined is that he's scared to use his legs at all. He'd rather do a lie down on top of the ball than take the chance of running up the middle and having some 300 pound bull blast his knee again. At work we talk quite a bit about the whole Brady vs. Vick MVP deal, and prior to today I was pretty solid on Brady, but now I'm not so sure. Was he like this all year, or did the trash talking this week get to him?

Honestly, I think they did. The Patriots were wrong in not allowing their players to have the back and forth with the Jets that I think they needed. In refusing to allow his players to vent and build up the pressure, Belichick was essentially saying, "we're better than that. We're better than you and we'll show you just like we did last time."

It didn't work. The Jets were fired up to an extreme level while the Patriots just looked like they were there. It was just another day at the office, and that was simply the wrong path to take. When you're up against your rivals, who happen to be the biggest shit-talkers in the league and who you humiliated weeks ago, you need to let them know that you have their number off and on the field. The Patriots couldn't do one - really, Wes Welker gets disciplined for his harmless interview? - and that affected their ability to do the other.

Yeah maybe. Definitely seems like there could've been some organizational arrogance with how the Pats respond to the Jets. Pretty sure they didn't take them 100% seriously coming into this game - like the clownish younger brother trying to get respect. It's clear the Jets players felt this was true - especially in the palapable anger in the comments from Cromartie and Bart Scott.

Only problem is now we're subjected to NY post covers like this.

It looks like that once again, for the third time, our long national nightmare is over.

While I agree to an extent, I think that this is another example of Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Had the Pats won everyone would have said "The system works." But because they lost we now have to say that something with our prep was wrong. And we can say that the Pats were too tight, the pressure got to them etc. I saw very little of that. I thought the Pats drove down the field on the first two drives and were throwing the ball really well. Well, then there was the fake-punt and we started running most of the game. I really do not think it was a case of nerves.

The place where I really do agree is benching Welker; just completely ridiculous. Why bench one of your best players on a drive where we can impose our will from the get-go? I think that was Belichick being too much dictator and not enough coach. I thought that was a "what i say goes, no matter what. I'M Bill Belichick, bitch!" So you bench him, take away one of Brady's favorite targets. Oh, how did that drive end, btw?

Maybe if the Pats were allowed to jaw it up with the Jets they would have been looser; the team had like 14 first-year starters; we were not an experienced team. Maybe the jawing would have helped, maybe not. But what I am sure of is that we are starting to see some of the strain of playing under the dictator, even when he is being a coach.

A bit surprised to see Pittsburgh being compared to the evil empire on this thread. As a lifelong Steelers fan, I've always thought of the team from the Rooneys on down as "good people." An organization that, Big Ben aside (and I'll admit it's a big aside and one many fans have qualms about), the Steelers get rid of their players that are troublemakers. Holmes. Buress. Porter. Etc.

The comparison doesn't really bother me, it's just very strange and unexpected to see it. I've often thought of the Pats as. the young upstart that became th evil empire (like an alternate Star Wars where Luke goes over to the dark side), with the autocratic coaching, the players too scared to do anything but toe the line and the Spygate scandal. And the fans. :yuck: :-P after three years in Boston, I can get behind the fan hating. I know Steeler Nation travels a good bit. Do fans of other teams find Steeler fans particularly distasteful or annyoying?

Here we go Steelers here we go! Here we go Steelers here we go! I really like Pittsburgh's chances, although the Packers scare the hell out of me; defensively they are tough, and offensively they can really sling the ball.

The Jets? Honestly, how much do they have left? I am curious to see Sunday. I just don't think this is a good matchup for NYJ; their QB will be under intense pressure all game long and that will be the difference. Sanchez didn't look that good yesterday as he was misfiring on a lot of balls, especially in the first quarter. We'll see what happens with Troy back and the Steelers rush.

Mistake-free football by the Steelers will result in another Super Bowl appearance.

Do fans of other teams find Steeler fans particularly distasteful or annoying?

Only the ones who eschew their local teams for a faraway franchise with which they have no connection save jumping on the bandwagon for a more successful team. I have a friend who grew up walking distance from Three Rivers Stadium. Several of the players actually lived in that neighborhood back in the day (when NFL salaries were good but not stupid-good). She recalls Franco Harris coming out in the street and tossing footballs with the kids. She got married in the parking lot of Heinz Field on gameday. THAT is a fan you just have to respect.

The ones from non-NFL regions I can forgive as well. I know another guy who grew up in Salt Lake City. He is a die-hard Steelers fan. He gets bonus points for hating the Broncos - the team the networks try to foist upon Utah. But if you grew up in Chicago and are a Steelers fan, I got no use for ya. And over the years I HAVE met many Steelers 'fans' who grew up somewhere with a local team that they refuse to back. Partially because the Steelers were champion-caliber when they were kids.

Upon reflection, I could forgive an fan from Oakland or Cincinnati who followed an NFC team. Ownership in both those cities have forfeited their rights to local loyalty with years of mismanagement and in the case of the Raiders, outright betrayal.

I have no problem with him benching Welker. He has to send a message to the younger players. Have fun, but focus on the game.

There are about 100 better ways to do this. And it sends the message through a completely inappropriate player.

And the side-issue here is how completely cold-hearted this was to Welker: a player who blew his knee out at the end of 2009 and then busted his ass to get healthy and ready NOT just for the playoffs but for the opening of the 2010 season. Welker was obviously still hurting at the start of the season and did everything he could to make the team better. To then take what thay guy did and basically shelve him for engaging in really, really harmless banter was not the proper forum.

Somebody from ESPN Tweeted that he wondered if Belichick would have metered out the same punishment if Brady had made the comments. Interesting.

A bit surprised to see Pittsburgh being compared to the evil empire on this thread. As a lifelong Steelers fan, I've always thought of the team from the Rooneys on down as "good people." An organization that, Big Ben aside (and I'll admit it's a big aside and one many fans have qualms about), the Steelers get rid of their players that are troublemakers. Holmes. Buress. Porter. Etc.
For the most part I agree completely. I think that they've got a long standing tradition of a good franchise with fairly honorable coaches, good players and a real team dynamic that doesn't allow for people being better than the team and the franchise's needs.

Except for the Big Ben thing. That honestly really rankles me that they didn't get rid of him, and showed me that they were pretty much just another franchise. Which is fine, and they're still better than the likes of the Pats, but it's disappointing. But I don't really have anything against the Steelers - or even their winning. For christ' sake, they have the Rooney rule and actually followed it and got a great head coach!. I'd rather see someone like the Jets win because the Steelers have had it going for so long and they're not the underdog. But I don't have any particular animosity towards 'em.

Yep, Bronn, I can understand that. I grew up in Pittsburgh and it's nearly impossible to not become a die hard Steeler fan in those circumstances, unless you just don't like football at all, and there are a few of those I know. Great story about the wedding in Heinz field. During the Steeler/Seahawks Superbowl, I spotted Franco sitting about 5 rows away from me and afterwards he was nice enough to let me have a picture taken with him. It is a great pic (I was wearing a Franco throwback jersey) of a great memory and he is a really amazing guy.

Somebody from ESPN Tweeted that he wondered if Belichick would have metered out the same punishment if Brady had made the comments. Interesting.

Great question. Steeler fans know how their team answered that question with the Holmes/Big Ben scandals that happened at the same time.

ETA

Except for the Big Ben thing. That honestly really rankles me that they didn't get rid of him, and showed me that they were pretty much just another franchise. Which is fine, and they're still better than the likes of the Pats, but it's disappointing. But I don't really have anything against the Steelers - or even their winning. For christ' sake, they have the Rooney rule and actually followed it and got a great head coach!.

I agree with all this, and many other Steelers faithful do as well. Have very ambivalent feelings about how the Big Ben situation was treated.

Pretty sure they didn't take them 100% seriously coming into this game - like the clownish younger brother trying to get respect. It's clear the Jets players felt this was true - especially in the palapable anger in the comments from Cromartie and Bart Scott.
Looking at the buildup of this it reminded me a hell of a lot of the Washington-Oregon rivalry from the 90s. Where Oregon fans hated...HATED UW. So very, very much. Even though there was a historic rival with the other team in the state it was far, far sweeter to beat UW. To this day the most monumental play in Oregon history was one that beat the Huskies, and it is played literally every game day at home.

But for UW, Oregon was just another team. They weren't that good, they weren't on the same tier, they had shit fans and a tiny stadium and weren't going to bowls. They didn't care. They were beneath them. It took consistent winning before UW hated Oregon like Oregon hated UW.

I think the same thing is here too. It's amusing that Bill Simmons played the 'no one respected us' card for the Seahawks when the team that had an equal right to that card was the Jets. Probably even moreso; the Bears weren't talking nearly as much smack about Seattle as the Pats were about the Jets.

And with that, I doubt very seriously that the Jets are going to beat the Steelers. I don't think they can get that level of emotion to find a way to beat 'em. Beating the Pats in the playoffs was essentially their superbowl.

The comparison doesn't really bother me, it's just very strange and unexpected to see it. I've often thought of the Pats as. the young upstart that became th evil empire (like an alternate Star Wars where Luke goes over to the dark side), with the autocratic coaching, the players too scared to do anything but toe the line and the Spygate scandal. And the fans. :yuck: :-P after three years in Boston, I can get behind the fan hating. I know Steeler Nation travels a good bit. Do fans of other teams find Steeler fans particularly distasteful or annyoying?

I think most of the people that I know dislike Cowboys and Pats fans. This says a lot in Chicago that Green Bay is no longer the worst option (and hasn't been for years). The Steeler thing I think has a lot to do with Ben (who I have never, ever, ever liked) and some fans - mostly those that jumped on the bandwagon and eschewed their local teams for a team that was winning a lot (such as the Steelers). It's out there, but not as pervasive as the other two (that I am aware of). I personally would rather have the Jets win because the Steelers have recently won (and I do hate Ben) and there's a couple of Jets players that I like.

I also know a lot of people who find Bears fans insufferable, and even living here and being a lifelong Bears fan - I can empathize with non-Bears fans that have to be surrounded by them :)

As for the girl who got married in the Field, I have to say that I thought about having a White Sox wedding. I am a diehard, lifelong fan (grew up a few blocks away) and I go to about 25-30 games a year. My boyfriend is a newly minted diehard Sox fan. But those thoughts went away the moment I went to a wedding at a sports venue (Wrigley). It was pretty blah and there's so many restrictions and the atmosphere isn't nearly as cool as I thought it would be. The couple said if they had to do it over again they wouldn't have done it there. I like what my friend did at his wedding - lifelong Sox fan, the minister made a few jokes about his commitment to the White Sox having shown how ready he was to get married, etc, etc. It was really cute. Then because the wedding was (on accident) on the day of a Cubs/Sox game they hung up tv's in the reception hall to show it. Sox won.

As for the girl who got married in the Field, I have to say that I thought about having a White Sox wedding. I am a diehard, lifelong fan (grew up a few blocks away) and I go to about 25-30 games a year. My boyfriend is a newly minted diehard Sox fan. But those thoughts went away the moment I went to a wedding at a sports venue (Wrigley).

It was a smallish ceremony, in the parking lot, on a gameday. I'm not even sure the Steelers were told about it. Think 'big tailgate party with a speech or two'.

Archived