Penn State & Syracuse Scandals

Greywolf2375

I recently moved to Syracuse from the UK. There I was hoping that this was going to be a silly thread about "scandals" among friends of this site. Like a silly gossipy thing and that I was going to find there are people in Syracuse who like ASoIaF. Then I read the first page or so and got sad :(

I still wonder how the NCAA can give anything less than the "Death Penalty" without cheapening what happened to these boys? "Pay your players under the table we"ll shut you down... cover up child molestation for more that a decade... that you lose bowl games and scholarships".

I can't be the only one perceving the sactions they will impose this way, am I?

No, I'm with you Scot. Anything less than the death penalty makes it seem comparable to NCAA violations, which is ridiculous.

I still wonder how the NCAA can give anything less than the "Death Penalty" without cheapening what happened to these boys? "Pay your players under the table we"ll shut you down... cover up child molestation for more that a decade... that you lose bowl games and scholarships".

I can't be the only one perceving the sactions they will impose this way, am I?

No, I'm with you Scot. Anything less than the death penalty makes it seem comparable to NCAA violations, which is ridiculous.

Depends, if jailed in Penn State it's a possibility. If held in Syracuse (New York), then not going to happen. One state has the death penalty, the other doesn't.

Depends, if jailed in Penn State it's a possibility. If held in Syracuse (New York), then not going to happen. One state has the death penalty, the other doesn't.

They are talking about the NCAA sanction of "death penalty" - removing a sports program completely from a school for a period of time.

They are talking about the NCAA sanction of "death penalty" - removing a sports program completely from a school for a period of time.

Oh I did think it sounded strange.

You can tell how into sports I am really can't you. Now my face is red.

If they do give the death penalty (which I still don't think they will)..it will cripple not only Penn State, but will also crush State College in many ways. Football season is when the town makes basically all of their income in a lot of ways..and the effects of no football will be far reaching and devastating.

So? The horror of what happened to those poor boys should take precedence over all of that. Anything short of the death penalty, especially considering the previous instances it was used as Ser Scot pointed out, would be a gross and shameful injustice.

Why would they vacate Paterno's wins? I understand the arguments for the death penalty, but taking away his wins from 2008 to the end of his career? From a dead man? Who are they punishing here? I can see they are undoing his prestige, but what about the players who played in those games? They are guilty too?

Why would they vacate Paterno's wins? I understand the arguments for the death penalty, but taking away his wins from 2008 to the end of his career? From a dead man? Who are they punishing here? I can see they are undoing his prestige, but what about the players who played in those games? They are guilty too?

It's actually from 1998

The sanctions

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.

I definitely appreciate the funds thing, but as hefty as these punishments are, I still think it they should have gone with the death penalty (maybe in conjunction with the $60 million).

Also pretty clear to me that the wins thing was done just so the NCAA could protect its own image; didn't want the all-time leader to be involved in such a scandal.

I agree with those above who feel that anything less than the death penalty is insufficient. I've seen the argument that a 5 year bowl ban combined with the loss of 10 or 20 scholarship slots might as well be the death penalty. It would basically leave a zombie football program that would be crippled by transfers and the inability to recruit. While this maybe true it also wouldn't carry the same weight as would the NCAA handing down the most severe penalty available to it. To me the death penalty is the only punishment that would be sufficient and appropriate.

Deleting wins after the fact, a fine. Weak sauce.

True enough, but the four year bowl ban is crippling. How can you recruit if a freshman knows he will be banned from bowl games for his entire career?

A 'death penalty' would be, on its own, less crushing. I am still deciding how I feel about this.

The vacating of wins is so that officially, Paterno will not be the all-time winningest coach in the record books. I'm unaware if that means they'll have to pay back any money though. I've always thought vacating wins was kind of an empty gesture. Like with USC recently, we all know who won those games on the field.

True enough, but the four year bowl ban is crippling. How can you recruit if a freshman knows he will be banned from bowl games for his entire career?

A 'death penalty' would be, on its own, less crushing. I am still deciding how I feel about this.

That's true. I also saw that since 4 years is equal to or longer than anyone's eligibility, every single current Penn State player can transfer away without having to sit out a year. I'd imagine quite a lot of them, particularly the incoming freshmen, will.

ETA: So its definitely a hefty punishment, the Penn State football program is going to be crippled for at least 4 years and probably a lot longer; this is definitely very punitive. But again, I don't think it was the right way to go. Let the civil and criminal courts sort that out, I'm not a fan of the NCAA getting involved in this just like I'm not a fan of the NFL suspending players with run-ins with the law. I think the death penalty would've been fine, since its so symbolic, but otherwise, not a good move. Now that we have this precedent are we going to starting punishing programs if a coach gets a DUI or an AD gets caught soliciting a prostitute?

The vacating of wins is so that officially, Paterno will not be the all-time winningest coach in the record books. I'm unaware if that means they'll have to pay back any money though. I've always thought vacating wins was kind of an empty gesture. Like with USC recently, we all know who won those games on the field.

In a sport without a regular league system is a statistic like total wins over a large number of years even significant anyway? I'd have thought it would be more about the individual match ups than total number of wins.

In a sport without a regular league system is a statistic like total wins over a large number of years even significant anyway? I'd have thought it would be more about the individual match ups than total number of wins.

No, it doesn't matter for more than bragging rights and the record books.

Archived