March 2012 Reads

mashiara

this happens to me all the time. gilman's "the half made world" has been on top 3 different times now but keeps getting shuffled around with everything else. :lol:

Ha. I do the same thing. I always say I'm going to work on a certain section of my shelves, then usually two books later i switch to something else.

I'm 3/5 through A Dead Man in Deptford by Anthony Burgess, which is a history of Christopher Marlowe's life. I am enjoying it but the contemporary language and style seems to make it super slow going at times. It's not something that can be skim-read.

Not null

I was reading "no country for old men" until I realised I must have left it on the train. I'm hopin it mat magically reappear but will eventually have to buy the book again as it was half way through.

In the meantime I'm reading "the braided path" omnibus by Chris Wooding,

I was reading "no country for old men" until I realised I must have left it on the train. I'm hopin it mat magically reappear but will eventually have to buy the book again as it was half way through.

In the meantime I'm reading "the braided path" omnibus by Chris Wooding,

i'd be interested in your thoughts on the braided path RS. i enjoyed retribution falls immensely so wooding has been on my radar of new authors that i'm keeping up with.

Just finished Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played with Fire, which was alright. So today I've borrowed No Country for Old Men from the library (I'm mentioning these details so you won't assume I stole red snow's copy). I'm thinking that either I've read it before or it's just that the movie follows the book very closely.

It's the same reason I've started it. Only 50 pages in but it has an asian feel about it in the setting. I'll let you know how it develops.

About halfway through I decided I was reading X-men in psuedo- feudal Japan. Still enjoyed the series, but not as much as Kitty Jay.

Finishing the complete Mary Gentle with the White Crow omnibus. Which has a character called Plessiez...doesn't that remind me of someone? :idea:

Quite like it so far.

Finished Unseen Academicals. Definitely liked the second half better than the first, ended up getting pretty into it. Made me miss the long ago far away days when I played soccer. :)

Next up: Kraken by China Miéville. I have literally NO idea what to expect, so it should be interesting.

Finished The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. Great book, hilarious and devastating. Gives you a glimpse of a smaller, meaner India than you might be used to from other Indian literature.

Now onto Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin.

i'd be interested in your thoughts on the braided path RS. i enjoyed retribution falls immensely so wooding has been on my radar of new authors that i'm keeping up with.

The Braided Path is pretty good, with some neat ideas, but don't expect the same kind of fast-paced immediate writing you get in Retribution Falls.

Finished The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. Great book, hilarious and devastating. Gives you a glimpse of a smaller, meaner India than you might be used to from other Indian literature.

I didn't really like this much. I felt like I was reading a book where the author was writing purely to get across that insight into India and included a plot only because it's a novel and novels have a plot, without actually having a great deal of interest in it. I suppose it didn't help much though that I didn't find it funny at all.

I can't compare it to other Indian lit, but the only other book concerning modern India I've read is Shantaram and that's much better in my opinion.

I finished up The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins a while back and just posted my review. It's good - well worth all the buzz out there. I've also finished up Orb Sceptre Throne by Ian C. Esslemont. It's only OK - he's simply no Erikson. Review forthcoming.

Now I'm reading Arctic Rising by Tobias Buckell. It's very good so far. And it appears that I'm reading yet another of the current 'hot topics' since it was just reviewed on NPR.

I didn't really like this much. I felt like I was reading a book where the author was writing purely to get across that insight into India and included a plot only because it's a novel and novels have a plot, without actually having a great deal of interest in it. I suppose it didn't help much though that I didn't find it funny at all.

I can't compare it to other Indian lit, but the only other book concerning modern India I've read is Shantaram and that's much better in my opinion.

I can understand that, but I wasn't really looking for plot when I picked this book up, I was more focused on the themes.

Working my way through The Hunger Games at my sister's behest. Took about a hundred pages to get into it, but I'm liking it. Definitely piquing my interest in the upcoming movie.

Next is The Gone-Away World. Heard some high praise for it on these boards, so I figure might as well give it a go.

I am reading, or well, trying to read, Twilight. It's really tough going. :bang:

Lost a bet, did you?

Now I'm reading Arctic Rising by Tobias Buckell. It's very good so far. And it appears that I'm reading yet another of the current 'hot topics' since it was just reviewed on NPR.

Nice. Hopefully people will pick it up and then try out his back catalog, and then we'll get more Xenomorph books!

Finished up a reread of Red Seas Under Red Skies. Outside of the damn drinking game, I thought it held up real good on a reread. No idea what to read next, may just go random pick from my shelf.

Archived