MLB 2012 Regular Season: Lime Green, Dancing Girls, Trampolines and Parking Lots

kairparavel

Oh Cub fans. Why do you do it? This year in, year out self-flagellation that happens, even in years of obvious rebuilding. Relax, load up a Vienna Beef dog, and have an Bud Light (or better yet a Finch's or Half Acre, though they probably don't serve real Chicago beer at the ballpark, do they?).

Speaking of which, the Scrubbies attend opening day in St. Louis tomorrow to watch that 11th banner raised and rings presented on Saturday. Not overly fond of uniforms being messed with, but the gold lettering/numbering for the World Series champs will look good for a few games, especially after a nice 5-2 road trip to start the season.

Four teams? I can't decide if you're ignoring the White Sox or the Blackhawks. Either works, but you probably are leaving the Blackhawks off. I mean, who the heck cares about ice hockey anyway?

Was treating the Sox/Cubs as one team for some reason. Though five vs six does make it a little more equitable. The other thing to check on is whether any of the teams in LA or Chicago have their own networks, which would free up space on the local sportsnet. NYC has six teams going currently as well (not to mention three not currently playing), but the YES network and MSG help a lot.

Also, word of advice, being a dick is only funny if you're clever about it.

Sweet sassy molassey! Ten runs in one game! We're doubling our run count every game now...by August, we'll be scoring eleventy bajillion runs per game! Three homeruns in one game, including the M&M boys! Willingham leading both leagues in dingers belted! What's going on, we're not even in last place anymore!

Was treating the Sox/Cubs as one team for some reason. Though five vs six does make it a little more equitable. The other thing to check on is whether any of the teams in LA or Chicago have their own networks, which would free up space on the local sportsnet. NYC has six teams going currently as well (not to mention three not currently playing), but the YES network and MSG help a lot.

Also, word of advice, being a dick is only funny if you're clever about it.

Who's being a dick? Hockey sucks. Everyone knows it. You have to simply accept this fact of life.

Who's being a dick? Hockey sucks. Everyone knows it. You have to simply accept this fact of life.

Except this is patently false, this is the baseball thread anyway, and it's always you unprompted going on and on about it. It's frankly baffling to me why you're always such an asshole about this.

Except this is patently false, this is the baseball thread anyway, and it's always you unprompted going on and on about it. It's frankly baffling to me why you're always such an asshole about this.

You're calling me an asshole for a simple statement? Hello, Mr. Pot, I'd like to introduce you to Kettle Black...

Though you're right, there is already too much filthy hockey talk in this baseball thread and I mildly regret let it get this far. Sorry baseball. :P

And hey, Wedge! You know the laws of the baseball gods say that the Cubs should win tomorrow right? Just because. And then the next two will be the pantsing...

The Pittsburgh Pirates are going on, I think.

Man, how did the NL central wind up with such a set of disaster teams? No wonder they're flipping the 'Stros to the AL.

The New Republic has a quick bit on some stats about Castro:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-study/102540/ozzie-guillens-castro-problem

Today, the Miami Marlins suspended their manager, Ozzie Guillen, after he blurted out to TIME Magazine that he loves Fidel Castro. Guillen’s remark would have been bizarre and unpopular just about anywhere in the country, but it’s especially controversial in Miami, where local politicians are already calling for him to resign. Where does opinion on Castro stand today?

According to a 2008 Gallup poll, Castro’s approval rating in the U.S. is 5 percent. Another Gallup poll shows that while favorable opinions of Cuba have ticked up in recent years, 57 percent of Americans still have an unfavorable view of the country, compared to just 37 percent who have a favorable view. More detailed (and Miami-specific) information is available from a 2011 Florida International University poll of Cuban-Americans in Miami-Dade County. That poll showed mixed attitudes toward Castro’s Cuba: For example, while 80 percent of respondents said they thought the embargo hadn’t worked “very well” or “at all,” a majority favored continuing it. No word yet on how they’ll feel about continuing Guillen’s association with their hometown team.

I hate to derail this thread further with more Castro talk, but you really can't trust polls from the US on Castro. After all, most of us only know Castro through the lens of US enmity.

I hate to derail this thread further with more Castro talk, but you really can't trust polls from the US on Castro. After all, most of us only know Castro through the lens of US enmity.

Yeah - I guess I shouldn't include any Castro unless it's more specifically baseball related.

Dodgers sweep the Pirates.

Merci - It's actually a little difficult to predict who the Cardinals will have to beat in the Central this year. I swear I'm not the type to be glass half full all of the time, but I think St. Louis is the heavy favorite to win the division. But it's more difficult to say who else is a threat. Houston should suck donkey balls in their final season (good riddance). Chicago will get good someday, but I don't think it's this year. The Pirates showed such signs of life last year before their collapse...I'm not ready to count them out. Cincinnati might be the toughest contender, but Madsen's injury is a killer when you need everything to break your way. The Good Land is still up there.

My Texas Rangers are only 95 games out of their first 100 win season !!!!

Am I overreacting to a great start? We are 5-2 now and have a commanding one and a half game lead on the AL West,

I jest here of course, but I wanted to relay that i am exited about this team. They are getting things done with pitching. The bullpen looks incredible, and so far all of our starting pitching has been stellar with the exception of the first inning Yu Darvish pitched. For the last few years, our pitching has been really good, but it is still extremely strange to see this after a lifetime of being terrible in that department.

Now, as for my Cubs... Is it too soon to say there is always next year yet? I just hope they win this series with St. Louis this weekend although I know that i am probably delusional to allow myself to believe that this can happen. Also... If I see the EA commercial with the Cubs winning the series one more time, I am going to throw something through my TV screen. This is the 154th year combined that my two favorite teams hasn't won the world series. Some scabs just don't need to be opened.

I knew going into the season that the Cubs were probably going to be horrible. I was prepped for it and everything. But the way they've been horrible so far is what hurts the most: three very good to excellent jobs by starting pitchers blown by the bullpen, specifically Kerry Wood and Carlos Marmol, the two guys in the bullpen we should be able to count on for a solid inning of pitching. That opening day game when the Cubs were up, Dempster had pitched a 1-run gem and was pulled in the top of the 8th with one out, one guy on first. Wood and Marmol then combine to walkthe tying and winning runs in... ugh.

Although I guess if we can temper the suckiness with 8-0 blowouts like yesterday's game against the Brewers, it won't be all bad. Just mostly bad. Hell, I don't care if they get pummeled against every other team as long as they can consistently beat the Brewers, Cards and Reds... although those teams are okay to very good so I don't see that happening much.

In two or three years, though, it's going to be on!

Someone posted a funny Craigslist jobs ad for bullpen pitchers for the Cubs. It was taken down but here it is quoted:

RELIEF PITCHERS WANTED: CHICAGO CUBS (WRIGLEY FIELD)”

The ad goes on to say:

The Chicago National League Baseball Club (“Cubs”) is seeking relief pitchers to help fill several vacancies in its bullpen, effective immediately.

No Major League Baseball experience is required for these positions, and there is no minimum age limit. However, qualified candidates must:

* Throw a ball a distance of 60 ft., 6 in.

* Throw strikes, preferably more often than balls.

* Be proficient in Excel, PowerPoint and Word.

* Spit and scratch.

* Assist with groundskeeping during rain delays, and perform light housework for starting pitchers as needed.

* Not answer to the surnames “Marmol,” “Wood” or “Broglio.”

This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. In 2012, the Chicago Cubs were proudly named number 29 in Fortune magazine’s list of “Best Major League Teams to Pitch For,” for the third consecutive year.

Significant travel is required for this position. Perks include endorsements, groupies, dugout-level seats for all Cubs road and home games, pie-faced fans who don’t give a rat’s ass if you win or lose, and an excellent prescription drug plan.

To apply, send us your best “pitch” via YouTube video (email us the link) via .mov/.mv4/etc. Include name, age, experience, salary requirements, special skills, and show us what you can do on the mound.

Qualified candidates will be contacted within two weeks of this posting for an interview and possible tryout with the Cubs General Manager Of Non-Sanctioned But Essential Scouting, Jonathan Eig, [email protected].

The Chicago Cubs is an equal opportunity employer and candidates for these positions will be considered regardless of gender, age, race or any previous history as fans of the Chicago American League Baseball Club (“White Sox”)

Archived