Emmy Game of Thrones Webcast

Westeros

Who do you think it was the actress that asked GRRM not to kill her and he thought something like:" but she is already dead!" ?

Rose Leslie, I'm pretty sure. The only other possibility is Michelle Fairley, and she knows she'll be back.

Rose Leslie, I'm pretty sure. The only other possibility is Michelle Fairley, and she knows she'll be back.

Could have been the Shae actress as well, right?

Also, didn't Rose Leslie say she has read the books in an interview? So it would be pretty weird of her to ask GRRM that if she already knows what happens... :uhoh:

But if it's Rose does that mean the attack on Castle Black does not occur this season?

Fairley is the only definite we know about , if George was talking about on screen this season?

Of course she sticks about as a 'zombie' for the next two novels.

I had a hunch one time there would D&D would rewrite Ygritte so she escaped only to die in the assualt on the wall in season 4.

I can't remember if the battle of Castle Black had any escaping Wildings?

Weiss specifically said they gave a 'shocking answer' to GRRM about who Jon snow's mother is.

Lyanna does not strike me as a 'shocking answer.'

It isn't shocking to anyone who is a regular user of these forums or someone of equal voraciousness when it comes to these books. I think it is a fairly shocking answer to everyday, non-forum using, members of the ASOIAF fandom. When I posit this theory to people who've just read all of the books they are genuinely shocked by it.

It isn't shocking to anyone who is a regular user of these forums or someone of equal voraciousness when it comes to these books. I think it is a fairly shocking answer to everyday, non-forum using, members of the ASOIAF fandom. When I posit this theory to people who've just read all of the books they are genuinely shocked by it.

What he said. Seriously when I finished the books and read about R+L=J my jaw dropped. When I told my friends who had also just finished reading the books, their jaws dropped. And I don't think it's necessarily that Lyanna is his mother, it's that Ned ISN'T his father. Throughout the books, and especially in the show, you are certain that Ned is the father, and that the mother is the big secret because Ned was ashamed or for whatever reason doesn't say who it is. Of course if Lyanna is the mother than Ned isn't the father (they're not the Lannisters or Targaryens, lol), which to me is the bigger deal. It's not about Lyanna, it's about Rhaegar.

Diehards who have read over the books multiple times and talk about it with each other eventually see the clues or are told about it. But first time readers and people watching the show have no idea IMO. At least the great majority of them don't.

But if it's Rose does that mean the attack on Castle Black does not occur this season?

Fairley is the only definite we know about , if George was talking about on screen this season?

Of course she sticks about as a 'zombie' for the next two novels.

I had a hunch one time there would D&D would rewrite Ygritte so she escaped only to die in the assualt on the wall in season 4.

I can't remember if the battle of Castle Black had any escaping Wildings?

Not in the books, but considering that Tormund will go south of the wall in TV (and he HAS to survive for next seasons) maybe a few Wildings will survive the skirmish and re-join with Mance for the big battle, Yggrite could be one of them

Let's be honest; any answer given to the 'casual' ASOIAF readers you describe would be found shocking. If they haven't thought much about it like you suggest, Lyanna, Ashara, Wylla, or anyone for that matter would likely be equally 'shocking' to them.

This is why the whole 'only regular uses of the forum' excuse doesn't hold any weight. If you ask a casual reader of ASOIAF who Jon's mother is, they just say "I don't know."

Weiss specifically said they gave a 'shocking answer' to GRRM about who Jon snow's mother is.

Lyanna does not strike me as a 'shocking answer.'

Yes it is.

A friend of mine who never read the books asked me if I knew who Jon mother was. I told him that there is still no answer for that, but so far it is believed that Lyanna could be the mother. He looked at me with eyes wide open and said " who is that ?... Ned's sister ?! WHAT ?!"

In case you don't see what is shocking in that, it's because it implies that Ned is not the father.

Could have been the Shae actress as well, right?

Also, didn't Rose Leslie say she has read the books in an interview? So it would be pretty weird of her to ask GRRM that if she already knows what happens... :uhoh:

That´s why I asked, I as under the impression that both Rose and Michelle already knew what happened to their characters so when he said that I assume it was somebody else like Nathalie or Gwen but the actress who plays Shae(sorry, I don't know her name) is a good guess.

I thought the "several people will sit on the throne before it's over" comment (paraphrasing) was quite revealing.

Kind of makes you wonder though...what happens to Tommen? Does he die like his Brother? Step down? Run away?

Will be interesting to see that play out. Also I was shocked to see D&D tell the story about GRRM asking the question in a forum that's about the show, when viewers are considerably more closed off to the notion that Wylla might not be Jon's mother, or that it's a big deal. He hesitated for a moment and then thought "Ok i'll just tell it." I bet GRRM was having a mini-heart attack going, "DON'T SAY A NAME!" regardless if they guessed right, which who knows, maybe they didn't and GRRM just liked that they had at least thought about it.

edit: edited for possible spoiler, oops.

"There will be several more people taking the throne before the end."

I thought that was the most interesting quote of the night from GRRM

Could be, but not necessarily. It was a GoT panel, so he was basically addressing viewers, who have seen up to Season 2. but...

Book readers already know that Tommen takes the place of Joffrey. And if they take the "golden crowns, golden shrouds" prophecy seriously, they expect Myrcella to be Queen later on (though whom she marries is another matter). And OK, two is not "several", but I don't think we should take it as a given that there will be a whole score of Kings before the end. :)

Archived