LonCon 3 2014

Just booked a room at the Ibis Styles Hotel from Thurs to Mon. I might extend that an extra day or two either side depending on who's around and what's going on or I could just catch a train home each night instead, but either way I intend to be off work and around for the week leading up to WorldCon and the week after leading into EuroCon :D

thanks for adding me to the list, pebble, although i feel the need to point out that my real-life husband is John, not fenryg ;)

Ooops. Sorry about that. You sure Fenryg is not John's alt? I was convinced they where the same person.

MG Since you now have a hotel room I assume you also have membership? I've added you anyway.

Bit the bullet and booked a double room in the Ibis Hotel London ExCel Docklands. We got the the last-but-one double room, so if you hurry you might snatch the very last one. Certainly the cheapest of the 3/4 star options.

ETA: Just received a Tweet, not sure if accurate or not:

it seems Ibis Budget London City Airport has rooms for £49 on the con weekend.

Bit the bullet and booked a double room in the Ibis Hotel London ExCel Docklands. We got the the last-but-one double room, so if you hurry you might snatch the very last one. Certainly the cheapest of the 3/4 star options.

ETA: Just received a Tweet, not sure if accurate or not:

it seems Ibis Budget London City Airport has rooms for £49 on the con weekend.

The Travelodge London Docklands is also showing as having rooms for £53.60 a night.

Oh, and I'm in the Premier Inn, 14th-19th, though I might arrive earlier. I'll defo be leaving on the 19th, but haven't decided whether to roll down a couple of days earlier or not yet. We'll see. :)

Just booked a room at the Ibis Styles Hotel from Thurs to Mon. I might extend that an extra day or two either side depending on who's around and what's going on or I could just catch a train home each night instead, but either way I intend to be off work and around for the week leading up to WorldCon and the week after leading into EuroCon :D

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pebble- I have reservations at the Novotel. Thanks for maintaining the list. So excited I could explode. I still may....:D

For anyone new to London, would recommend looking at the website Transport for London, which brings together all the info you need to know about the Tube (subway), buses, railways, etc etc. For anyone staying a length of time, it is probably worth investing in an Oyster card

www.tfl.gov.uk

there are several DLR (Docklands Light Railway) stations in/near the ExCel.

It's also worth noting that London's public transport is pretty good (if sometimes crowded): if you do end up at a hotel even a couple of miles away, you should still be able to get to it in 15-20 minutes depending on the tube connections. It may even be faster to do that than be in one of the 'on-site' hotels half a kilometre away and trekking back and forth by foot.

I was trying to look up walking from city airport to excel. apparently it takes just about half an hour.

Possibly better than that, as the con is being held at the end of Excel closest to City Airport, which saves ten minutes. For anyone staying at the Ibis Styles and Novotel end of the Excel complex, the fastest way to get to con central is likely to be to take the DLR one stop.

I will be going, as will little miss sunshine, another poster here (she still has to reset her password). We aren't sure about accommodation just yet, though we are looking.

Yes what All Men Must Rhyme said, we are going alright! And I'm bringing the famous Soft Kitty t-shirt with me :cheers:

Yaaaaaaaaaay! :grouphug:

Buckwheat, try PayPal?

Uhhhh, I have no idea how that works, the LonCon site redirects me to WorldPay. Does PayPal work any different and how would I get to it if the site redirects me so? I am pretty sure it would respond to my card in the same way actually. I cannot buy almost anything online with my card, turns out. :wacko:

Possibly better than that, as the con is being held at the end of Excel closest to City Airport, which saves ten minutes. For anyone staying at the Ibis Styles and Novotel end of the Excel complex, the fastest way to get to con central is likely to be to take the DLR one stop.

OK, so the convention is at the eastern end of the ExCel center? Interesting.

OK, so the convention is at the eastern end of the ExCel center? Interesting.

The eastern end contains a new-ish conference centre, which will be the main programming space. Main auditorium is the Excel's auditorium, which is also at the east end, and we have three (?) blocks of the main Excel space close to that end for exhibits and second stage.

Archived