Val is Jon’s true Queen.

Jon's Queen Consort

I would point out that when Val found Tormund and returned to the Wall that like a bride she was clad all in white.

However Jon is still Lord Commander of the Watch and the watch has a traditional story about a former Lord Commander who had a bride all clad in white, a powerful woman, as Val intimates she is too. So I think there are signs that there might be a relationship, but not necessarily one that will be either received positively or will be good news for Jon.

That was the parallel I though as well first. Jon as the Night King. I have a hard time envisioning how would it be realistic for Jon to get the IT. I can see him become King In the North, or at least regent till Rickon becomes older, but I don't see the southern lord accepting him, even if they hear about L+R=J. And why would they believe they are true?

But I do think he will have or maybe already has a postion of a King. I am talking about King of the Wildlings. I don't know which post was about this theory but I am convinced the Wildlings saw him as such.

So I can see him as the King beyond the wall, or King of Wildlings, Night King or King in the North.

...But I do think he will have or maybe already has a postion of a King. I am talking about King of the Wildlings. I don't know which post was about this theory but I am convinced the Wildlings saw him as such...

This one maybe. I think there is a lot to the theory. It would certainly seem reasonable for the Wildlings to view him as their king and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slaughter at the Wall while Jon is out for the count.

Pure speculation, but Night's King I feel is there too as a sinister alternative :)

The OP is right that there is a lot of regal imagery surrounding Val, but most of that she comes by in the establishment of her own character rather than as a future queen for Jon. She is a kind mirror for Tyrion; many people in-universe believe beauty = good so whilst ugly Tyrion gets the worst motives ascribed to him it is very easy for people at the Wall to believe beautiful Val is a princess even though she says she is not. She is the closest thing Stannis has to a highborn hostage so she got private quarters and she instantly got cast in the part of 'fairytale princess in a tower' - a trope that exists both in our world and Westeros. Fairytale royalty is a theme that gets a lot of play in ADWD, Quentyn tells himself that because he is a prince on a quest he's on a fairytale, Aegons life narrative amongst the peasants has been deliberately set up as a fairytale by Varys (true regardless of whether he is a real prince) amd Val is another play on it - she is no princess but because people like to tell fairytales she gets perceived as one.

All of the above has nothing to do with Jon. He enters the picture only because Stannis proposed a match between the two (and as lord and lady not king and queen). Jon thinks about Val and Ghost looking good together because he and Val could have been good together. Even after he made his choice Jon continued to think of Val because perhaps that would have given hime more happyness than his duty as LC. But I don't see forshadowing of the two of them ending up together.

This one maybe. I think there is a lot to the theory. It would certainly seem reasonable for the Wildlings to view him as their king and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slaughter at the Wall while Jon is out for the count.

Pure speculation, but Night's King I feel is there too as a sinister alternative :)

I think is Stannis as a new Night King. Just taking everything ice or white and insert fire/red. It does work. I know there's folks that like to think of Jon going a truly sinister path, but I don't see it.

I would point out that when Val found Tormund and returned to the Wall that like a bride she was clad all in white.

However Jon is still Lord Commander of the Watch and the watch has a traditional story about a former Lord Commander who had a bride all clad in white, a powerful woman, as Val intimates she is too. So I think there are signs that there might be a relationship, but not necessarily one that will be either received positively or will be good news for Jon.

But I think the Night's King reborn will be Stannis with Mel as his queen, the fire version of the Night's King, as Stannis has made the Nightfort his seat.

There is also this I had help from tze with:

Seasons of My Love

Lyrics: "I loved a maid as red as autumn with sunset in her hair; I loved a maid as white as winter, with moonglow in her hair; I loved a maid as fair as summer with sunlight in her hair"

This song foreshadows three queens or female leaders.

I loved a maid as fair as summer with sunlight in her hair

That maid is Cersei, the Summer Queen. She has hair golden like the sun used to describe the Lannisters. The Lannisters are also at the height of their power in the summer.

I loved a maid as red as autumn with sunset in her hair

Melisandre is the Autumn Queen. She has red hair, and becomes most powerful during autumn.

I loved a maid as white as winter, with moonglow in her hair

The light of the half-moon turned Val's honey-blond hair a pale silver and left her cheeks as white as snow.

Val is the Winter Queen. She is from the wildlings whom Jon referred to as "winter's people", and with the Long Winter coming she may be queen in the end. There's no question who her king would be.

I definitely thought there was a slight bit of flirting/foreshadowing (call it what you want) with Jon and Val but I just put this down to them eventually 'getting it on' rather than her eventually becoming his queen. I suppose I wouldn't rule it out though.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Val? She just seems like the washed out princess version of Ygritte to me. I quite hope she fades out of the focus of the story. So, I really hope she won't be Jon's twue wuv.

I actually have always thought that they would make an excellent match. Val seems to be a great and trustworthy woman and has the respect of the wildlings. I also thinks that she may have a bit of a crush on Jon, but she could be plotting something too.

I am hoping there is a future for Val and Jon. I noticed that Val was put on a "one- eyed" horse when she was sent out to find Tormand. I think of Bloodraven anytime I see anything one eyed in this series. This may be a clue that Bloodraven is working with Val and the Wildings and has plans for Jon and Val in the future. Val says she needs no help to find Tormund when Jon expresses dismay at the one eyed horse given to her by the Night's Watch.

I believe George Martin has implied alot about this wilding character Val that we will see more in the next book. She also wears a white mask brooch. I think Val has hidden abilities that we have not yet seen. She sings to the little " monster". We have read of a religion that sings to make magic. The children of the Forest also do this. Many Old God references are inserted in the story about her. I personally would love to see Jon and Val being the leaders of the gift area and the wildings re-populating that entire area as it was once long ago. Remember the conversations Bran has with Meera and Jorjen regarding the old holdfasts as they traveled north. Also Jon and Ygitte had conversations about the way the gift area used to be populated. I don't beleive the original Night's Watch had the vows about marriage and not taking families it it. Also I have not seen anyone mention Samwell's dream in the village above the wall when he is fleeing with Gilly. He dreams that he is feasting Jon and many of the Night's Watch brothers in his family's hall. What I noticed about this dream was that he says they were all dressed in colorful garments. I am not sure what to make of Samwell's dream but I have never seen anyone comment on it. I know I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to Jon Snow but sheesh if any character in this series deserves a happy ending its him in my opinion. But then again Samwell says "There are no happy endings!"

I think we're about to learn a lot more about Val. I think she's a kind of priestess / seer of the old gods ( as was Dalla). So she's not a princess , but she commands a lot of respect among the wildlings. If I'm reading the clues right , that puts her in a vulnerable position in regard to Mel. No-one could really explain her position, even to Jon , because that would put her in danger..But with the inevitable power shift that's happening with the wildlings coming through the wall , and with Stannis having to give up on the idea of forced conversion to R'Hllor (if he wants allies ) change is bound to come.

I got clued in to this by GRRM saying that the religion ( not the gods) of the of the wildlings is largely based in Norse religion ( other quotes say Norse / Celtic/ Northern European ). I know there's lots of leeway for him to make it his own , so I'm sure it won't be a direct copy .. but there are lots of clues that seem to tend in that direction.

So in our tradition, these women would travel about village to village clan to clan. They could be asked to predict the outcomes of battles, where to engage in battle ,where to settle , what course of action would bring the best result etc. They would perform certain rites , that involved singing of specific songs, and could be assisted by others who knew the songs. Afterward, if all was well done , they would be granted a vision ... Sometimes they would settle on one particular leader , stay with him and even marry him, adding their power to his. ( So, when Jon says he's heard her singing to "Monster" and she says she was singing to herself , she can't help it if he listens , I think at least some of the time she's asking for a vision of what the future holds..e.g. where will she find Tormund , will Jon succeed , etc. )

As for male priests, the chieftain ,or king was the priest for his people , he and his wife were responsible for keeping the people in tune with the gods. It would take a special leader to attract a "vala" to marry him.

So I think.. Mance & Dalla ...Jon & Val.. Break out the mead !

And ( ahem ) ..If George is using this as his foundation , I can't believe he'd stay away from this aspect...there were also rites that involved male and female participation ( fertility rites , I guess ). How much better for the welfare of the people if there was love / sexual attraction involved.. ;)

ETA : I've come to same conclusion as Ran in the link above , and I don't think it's a crazy thought at all... Stannis & Mel think they have the king of the wildlings captive .. but Mance is going to have to take a subordinate position to Jon going forward.

It was Morna kissing Jon's hand , that jumped out at me ...that's not kneeling, but it's something that we equate with kings ( and religious leaders ) . Besides that ,there's her weirwood mask ..It's as if the old gods are showing their recognition as well, and if the symbolism works on us readers ..it surely must be noted by the free folk themselves.

" You've won them to you " Done deal. " Now get them drunk.." ..not just a party, a ritual.

Whatever anyone calls him Jon is now their King. ( And as well as "Tall Talker", Tormund is also "Speaker to Gods " , always dispensing his very strong mead on important occasions , trying to keep things right with the gods...it can't have hurt that Jon had him beside him in the sheildhall. )

They know he plans to rescue more of the free folk , and now he's even given his blood because of it. However many wind up being rescued from Hardhome, when they know the lengths Jon has gone to for them, there will be no doubt ( in my mind) who they will support and give their loyalty to.

Mance pulled them together and got them to the wall, but those who went through then had to bend the knee ,insult their own gods ( burning weirwood) and accept ( at least on the surface ) a new one. And had Mance's plan succeeded , they would have faced more fighting for a place to be on the other side. ..Jon is getting them through in greater numbers , without kneeling ,with their gods and promise of a place in the world without having to go to war for it.

I always assumed that Jon and Val would end up together. They would be happy and than she would get killed by something. Thus completing the parallel between Dany (she had two loves: Drogo and Daario) and Jon (Ygritte and Val)before they end up together. But than Jon got stabbed... and because I'm not sure of what will resurect Jon (or when) or when he will be resurected I'm not entirely sure of this scenario anymore.

I think is Stannis as a new Night King. Just taking everything ice or white and insert fire/red. It does work. I know there's folks that like to think of Jon going a truly sinister path, but I don't see it.

/signed the Stannis part

I mean come on... he even is setting himself up in the exact same keep

Am I the only one who doesn't like Val? She just seems like the washed out princess version of Ygritte to me. I quite hope she fades out of the focus of the story. So, I really hope she won't be Jon's twue wuv.

I hate her. and most other wildlings. Nothing against them living; they're just exceedingly stupid and annoying stubborn in their dumb customs.

I admit I've never thought of a Jon and Dany pairing when reading these because I hate the concept of "shipping" but I'd enjoy Jon and Dany way more than Jon and some savage pretend princess.

I hate her. and most other wildlings. Nothing against them living; they're just exceedingly stupid and annoying stubborn in their dumb customs.

I admit I've never thought of a Jon and Dany pairing when reading these because I hate the concept of "shipping" but I'd enjoy Jon and Dany way more than Jon and some savage pretend princess.

Who wants a multicultural society anyway?

Dany is more savage than Val and not to mention that Val never identifies herself as a princess unlike Dany.

Dany is more savage than Val and not to mention that Val never identifies herself as a princess unlike Dany.

:agree: and a million times more irritating. Dany can't get enough of adding titles on to the never ending list. Talk about self important.

She's as bland as they come as a character.

Of course, this makes her perfectly suited for Jon Snow.

well see the thing about jons and vals storyline in dance....

its they throw their relationship in your face... she wants him, he wants her, he stole her "accidently"..

yet at the very end he sticks to his duty and lets tormund's son have her....

so it just there to show that jon is his fathers son and is too honorable....

thus the stabbing.

Archived