So, now, it is wrong to tell the truth?

President Obama said, of Kamala Harris, "She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated, she’s tough," Obama said of the California attorney general. "She also happens to be, by far, the best-looking attorney general ... It’s true! C’mon." He was immediately criticized for the comment. Apparently, we have gotten to the point where we must disguise what we are saying so no one will be offended, but we cannot even speak the truth in a complimentary fashion.

This political correctness bullshit is causing us to be come a bunch of liars.

ETA: Removed reduntant phrases.

I think there's a difference between being truthful and saying everything that is true.

That said, though I guess there will be discussions about sexism and the like over this, I don't think anyone other than him, her and Michelle Obama should have any reason to care about this whatsoever.

President Obama said, of California attorney General, Kamala Harris, "She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated, she’s tough," Obama said of the California attorney general. "She also happens to be, by far, the best-looking attorney general ... It’s true! C’mon." He was immediately criticized for the comment. Apparently, we have gotten to the point where we must disguise what we are saying so no one will be offended, but we cannot even speak the truth in a complimentary fashion.

This political correctness bullshit is causing us to be come a bunch of liars.

It has nothing to do with lying. Not saying that you find someone attractive when you do is not a lie. I'm sure if you went to a restaurant, you would be offended if your waiter came up you to, asked you how you were doing, and then casually observed that you are old and crotchety. It doesn't mean your waiter is a liar. It just means he has a sense of propriety about what kind of conduct is acceptable in the circumstance. Obama's comment has been criticized as both a breach of propriety, and also because it seems perhaps tinged with a touch of sexism. Would Obama ever state that a handsome, male attorney general was the "most attractive?" I can't say for certain, but I suspect not. I think his comments were inappropriate on a fairly minor level, which is not to say they shouldn't be addressed, but I do think some of the reactions have been a touch overblown (especially from certain people on the right who are guilty of far worse against women).

Personally who gives a crap. We have become way to touchy. We shouldn't bat an eye over such a comment, even if made by our President.

But an observance: If the search engine was working on this forum, do you not think we could find some past outrage over some Republicans making a potentially sexist comment?

if you phrased it as inadvisable instead of wrong, then sure. it is often inadvisable to tell the truth. its often advisable not to say certain things, even if they are true.

but wrong? i don't know, i don't really believe in an objective morality...

do you not think we could find some past outrage over some Republicans making a potentially sexist comment?
Isn't that the core of the problem, making a distinction between a compliment and a sexist remark?

I'm still not sure how saying that someone is good-looking can be sexist (if not accompanied with the common subtext/objectification that that's all there is to the person, which is not the case here.)

It wasn't a very good bit of charming harmless whimsy. One would think that Obama would be a smoother sort than that.

Is it a distraction? Yes.

Is it important? Probably not.

Was it objectifying? yes.

But was it sexist? Probably not.

Archived