So, now, it is wrong to tell the truth?

I was supportive of what you were saying earlier un-Che, but you kind of lost me with the rest.

To qualify Obama's ass (and who doesn't like to qualify Obama ass) -- Barack mentioned sometime ago that he was irritated by all the women who grab his ass at his political rallies -- to which Michelle said something along the sarcastic tone of, 'yeah right'

At any rate, there is too much strange ringing bias going on in your post and not enough objective assessment.

First of all - what in the world do you mean by the comment about how 'successful' people shrug off sexual harassment?

That is such an oddly loaded argument. Is successes really what is at issue now?

And do you really want the completion of this dichotomy to be that only unsuccessful people - or possibly unattractive people make a big deal out of being objectified - harassed, or groped in some manner?

1- we are talking about successful people here, so I figured that was what I should talk about.

2- Who got groped?

3- Biased... how? I don't like Obama, but the ballyhoo is the subject here, isn't it?

That explanation doesn't make any sense regarding the original question, which is, how do you get from me saying that objectifying someone based ontheir sex is a form of sexism to making illegal all compliments to people of the opposite sex. I see a lot of hand-waving, and obfuscation, and provision of platitudes (sticks and stones will break your bones but words never will! If you are insulted by someone's words it's only because you let them be insulting. You have the power to refuse to be insulted. blah blah fucking redium blah) but no real explanation. You named two points and stated that they are connected; now, please explain how the two are connected.

In the process of reading your statement, I nearly lost interest in answering it.

All Obama did was say she was the most attractive person to hold that post, right?

Now, the idea of making something illegal to say was sarcastic and a very minor part of the post. Pick away to all infinite degrees everything we say here if you like, but this just isn't important enough for me to post about anymore.

Given the context the remark seems inappropriate and unnecessary but I don't see it as a big deal. On the other hand I'm not American so maybe it is in the U.S.

Its insane, isn't it?

As I said before... this is the kind of thing you see when a society has over-complicated itself to the point where it starts to choke to death on its own Bullshit.

To some people, its obviously better to never say anything at all, under any circumstance, for any reason at all.

Its insane, isn't it?

As I said before... this is the kind of thing you see when a society has over-complicated itself to the point where it starts to choke to death on its own Bullshit.

Alternatively this is society unfucking itself. Why would it be fun?

If it's an issue then it's an issue if you don't think that it warrants discussion butt out. If you think people are wrong about it being an issue speak up That's what most people do. Proclamations of society declining due to PC culture are just boring at this point. When you're in the same boat as Tucker MAx something is wrong.

But an observance: If the search engine was working on this forum, do you not think we could find some past outrage over some Republicans making a potentially sexist comment?

Probably, Republicans are prone to making sexist comments.

So then why is Obama being given the benefit of doubt (ah it's ok, he didn't mean it, it was nothing) by most lib/dem's when repub's weren't? I mean other then he's the annoited one and on their team. Dear God could you imagine if Bush Junior or Cheney had said such a thing!?

The comment is inappropriate. Women are judged by their appearance in professional environments -- it affects pay, responsibility, promotions, the works. Comments like this one help to perpetuate the imbalance. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, but it's unhelpful and the President ought to know better.

The comment is inappropriate. Women are judged by their appearance in professional environments -- it affects pay, responsibility, promotions, the works. Comments like this one help to perpetuate the imbalance. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, but it's unhelpful and the President ought to know better.

Period. The End.

What the Hell did you expect, Sci? I thought you wanted folks to cut down on this nonsense especially in GenChat?

Admittedly I did say that, but this thread was too good to pass up since it concerned itself with Truth.

Actually he can say what he wants now because he doesn't have to run for anything anymore. That statment was moronic but it should be far from controversial. We get our feathers ruffled over the most pointless things in this country.

Period. The End.

All Obama did was say she was the most attractive person to hold that post, right?

Now, the idea of making something illegal to say was sarcastic and a very minor part of the post. Pick away to all infinite degrees everything we say here if you like, but this just isn't important enough for me to post about anymore.

Fucking weak sauce.

By that reasoning, it would be illegal to complement someone's appearance if they are the opposite sex.

That was the entirety of your response? What sort of bullshit lame excuse is it to say that it's a "very minor point" of the post? If you don't want to engage, then don't. But stop this stupid act of being so bothered by other people asking you to explain that one sentence of your entire response.

To some people, its obviously better to never say anything at all, under any circumstance, for any reason at all.

And these "some people" are... ?

I was thinking about what the context of this statement was and that that's probably important. Like, I was thinking if he'd been going on about her other success and such and added on "Also, she's the most attractive Attorney General around" or the other way it wouldn't be that bad.

But you know, thinking about it more and especially as he's a public figure, even then it's probably inappropriate, although much less so. It's not intended as anything but a compliment to a friend/acquaintance/etc I'm sure, but it can help perpetuate the idea that her looks or any women's looks are relevant to her abilities in her job and that's just not a good thing to be saying in public. Especially, you know, as the President.

I can see why he said it and what he likely meant by it, but it's not appropriate.

Period. The End.

Meh, I disagree. Why should a woman's merits be end bracketed with "plus she's gorgeous!" at all? Looks have absolutely nothing to do with how amazing she is at her job (or they shouldn't) and therefore any commentary on her looks in conjunction with her job qualifications only further perpetuate that it is acceptable to remark upon a women's physical image at any time even if it has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

It doesn't matter if the remark was a compliment. If he wanted to remark upon her physical attractive qualities, doing so in conjunction with her list of professional qualities was the wrongest time to do so. Gods, it's fucking exhausting, already, to be constantly marginalized because of physical appearance.

So then why is Obama being given the benefit of doubt (ah it's ok, he didn't mean it, it was nothing) by most lib/dem's when repub's weren't? I mean other then he's the annoited one and on their team. Dear God could you imagine if Bush Junior or Cheney had said such a thing!?

I guess the main reason is that even if this comment can be construed as sexist, no-one in their right mind would assume that Obama is sexist overall. Whereas there's a sad narrative of Republicans making comments that are unquestionably sexist.

In fairness, I don't think that could ever be applied to Dubya. He could be accused of a lot of things, but not sexism that I ever recall. It may be that I'm just paying more attention now, and there's obviously a reason why women vote more liberal in general, but it's only since Obama got elected and the republicans took a serious lurch towards both the right and insanity that it's really become a thing on a really baffling scale.

Archived