[BOOK SPOILERS] Edmure and Blackfish Thread

teemo

I didn't mind the gruffness of the Blackfish, you seem to be forgetting he's lost his BROTHER too. It's understandable he might be upset (even if he's more understanding in the books)

What I HATED was fucking Robb snickering. Why? Why did they put that in?

This is one of the few things I didn't like.(and i usally dont mind changes)I just dont like how much more of an idiot Edmire is.I hate how mean and rude they were to him at the funearl.He just lost his father, of course he wont be able to aim well.

The Blackfish just lost his brother and didn't even have to watch the arrow hit the barge.

Also want to add that Robb and BF praised Edmure for his victory in the books, and then waited to ream him for his screwup until they were behind closed doors. Publicly laughing at and shoving the lord of riverrun in public would not be appropriate in the books. gotta dumb everything down for the show, I guess.

yeah, wouldnt expect that amount of nuance. i think it worked fine this way

I definitely wish we had gotten the Blackfish earlier and Edmure too.

I hated the way Blackfish treated Edmure at Hoster's funeral. That was NOT Blackfish Tully. He was sympathic to his nephew and told him that his own father had failed deliver the arrow too. He'll rip you if he thinks you deserve it (you can argue either way if Edmure deserved it for the Stone Mill battle) but he wouldn't have shoved aside the Lord of Riverrun at his father's funeral. It reminded me of character-assassinating scene they did with Ron, Snape, and Hermione in one of the Harry Potter films.

That being said, once Blackfish got his scene with Cat, his true character really shined through. That's Bryden Tully. I'm curious to see what they'll do with him on the show.

edmure was a bit of a dolt in the books as well....it's just that they treated him with a little more respect being that he's the lord of riverrun and all....but the scene when they scolded him was pretty much right from the book....I don't think they over done that scene

Also want to add that Robb and BF praised Edmure for his victory in the books, and then waited to ream him for his screwup until they were behind closed doors. Publicly laughing at and shoving the lord of riverrun in public would not be appropriate in the books. gotta dumb everything down for the show, I guess.

They knew enough not to publicly ripped him but it can be argued that both Robb and Blackfish didn't trust the most powerful house sworn to the Kingdom of the North with their battle plan.

What I HATED was fucking Robb snickering. Why? Why did they put that in?

This....and if there wasn't enough reason to hate Robb already. I can't imagine any of them snickering at Hoster's funeral. That was pretty ridiculous.

This....and if there wasn't enough reason to hate Robb already. I can't imagine any of them snickering at Hoster's funeral. That was pretty ridiculous.

Almost makes me wonder if Richard broke character for a sec and they just didn't have time/money to refilm it

Do they just want us to hate Robb so we aren't so upset come episode 9? That's the feeling I've gotten with him from like episode 8 of season two until now. I thought the RW was supposed to be devastating. I was devastated by it and it really hurt me. Maybe they just don't want people to ragequit the show? I dunno. Their handling of Robb is so strange.

The change in Edmure and Blackfish's interactions and personalities on the show will have some effect - not sure how big - on how Edmure is seen by show viewers with respect to the RW. In the books he seems mostly clueless. His arrogance and snippiness in the show might raise suspicions about his complicity in the RW.

The shove was absurd. If they didn't want to "waste" time on an exchange about Hoster missing, too, they could've just made it a hand on the shoulder, a shared look, and then the Blackfish gently taking the bow. Also, Edmure should've had a moment with Cat and/or their uncle in that scene where they remember Hoster. After all, the two of them hadn't seen Hoster for years, while Edmure still lived with him. Catelyn should've been reminiscing with her little brother about their childhood.

The Talisa mistake has meant that in order to make him not a complete douche that threw half his army away, they have had to play down the involvement of the Freys and play up Edmure and Cat as being the cause of his mistake.It's really a shame because Edmure and Cat as characters are suffering and it's not because of the acting because the acting is really good.

I pretty much share the same complaints as everyone else. Blackfish was good when he wasn't shoving Edmure, but I'm really not sure about either the writing or the casting for Edmure. The fact that he looks so stolid and soldierly means that rather than coming across as sort of comically endearing like in the books he just comes across as a douchebag. I'm trying to reserve judgment until we see a bit more of him but yeah, not feeling Show!Edmure at the moment.

I pretty much share the same complaints as everyone else. Blackfish was good when he wasn't shoving Edmure, but I'm really not sure about either the writing or the casting for Edmure. The fact that he looks so stolid and soldierly means that rather than coming across as sort of comically endearing like in the books he just comes across as a douchebag. I'm trying to reserve judgment until we see a bit more of him but yeah, not feeling Show!Edmure at the moment.

I thought he was a douchebag in the book, he was one of those guys who by luck of his birth was going to be in the position to create all kinds of ruin [which he does], because he is not bright enough to weild the power he's been given as a result of the family he was born in. Even Cat knew this, she just had a soft spot for him.

But, some of the show choices are odd, they showed the BF was a badass by the archery scene, which he is a total badass, but he's not an asshole, so why did they feel the need to add the shove, it was such a disconcerting and unncessary choice.

I loved the opening scene. Didn't mind Robb hiding a snicker. Maybe I'm in the minority.

To me, it felt like Robb knew he wasn't supposed to laugh, but after two bad misses, he couldn't help it. He wasn't blatanly guffawing or anything. I think the show could use a touch of humor. Take out Tyrion, Jaime, and the new appearances by the Queen of Thorns, and it's all frowning, crying, weeping, and glowering. (And that's just Catelyn!)

I felt like the Blackfish and Edmure were brilliant in their respective roles but the Edmure is stupid stuff was a bit heavy handed and unnecessary.One thing that irked me is whe the blackfish called Edmure on not referring to Robb as his King.When did the Riverlords ever pledge ther allegiance to the North in the TV series?.In the books sure they pledged their allegiance at riverrun.But in the TV show this is the first time we have even seen riverrun. The Northern lords and Bracken pledged after some randomn battle but I dont know why everyone just assumes that Robb is now the head honcho at Riverrun.The riverlords have been off fighting the lannisters on a separate front for 2 seasons and we have heard practically nothing about them until a mallister turned up dead at harrenhal last week so its not like they are a massive component in Robbs army.

Archived