NBA PLAYOFFS 2013

Exa Inova

When a player has a fast break and there are no defenders in front of him any foul commited by a player from behind is a clear path foul. The fouled played gets 2 free throws AND his team retains possession of the ball.

Okay, thanks. Seems to me though that most fouls that a defender could commit to player in front of them on a fast break would probably also be a flagrant foul (e.g. shoving to the ground).

Okay, thanks. Seems to me though that most fouls that a defender could commit to player in front of them on a fast break would probably also be a flagrant foul (e.g. shoving to the ground).

Not necessarily. You could just hack/grab their arm as they go by (if you are the last defender), and that's isn't a flagrant, but it is a clear path violation. In addition, you could foul someone else away from the ball right before the breakaway player scores a layup/dunk. That would also be a clear path foul.

Not necessarily. You could just hack/grab their arm as they go by (if you are the last defender), and that's isn't a flagrant, but it is a clear path violation. In addition, you could foul someone else away from the ball right before the breakaway player scores a layup/dunk. That would also be a clear path foul.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

Anyway, legitimate news alert. Jason Collins came out today as the first gay male athlete in one of the four major American sports. Good for him.

Anyway, legitimate news alert. Jason Collins came out today as the first gay male athlete in one of the four major American sports. Good for him.

Saw this this morning as well. I am happier than I can say that a number of players, including some genuinely big names (Kobe!) took to Twitter to express support, alongside the league and his team. http://t.co/HuV8SqVaNi

I hope that it doesn't pose him professional problems, and that our response, as a country, is similarly worthy of his courage. This is a big step for professional sports, not just basketball.

When Golden State play in front of their crowd they look like a different team. Much more energised and making all of the little hustle plays that Denver usually get for themselves. In the Nuggets' current state, I'm not sure they can win in Oakland...

ST

Combine that with the fact that Denver is not the same team on the road and it really sets up for an interesting series overall I think.

I watched a bit of the game the other day and the place looked electric. The kind of energy usually only reserved for college games away from the big corporate professional atmosphere. (Or a Boston/LA game 7 where they really hate each other.) Anytime I see something like that where the team provides all the same color shirts, I always have to shake my heads a bit at the few fans that stand out like a sore thumb because they won't put on the yellow shirt! :lol:

Anytime I see something like that where the team provides all the same color shirts, I always have to shake my heads a bit at the few fans that stand out like a sore thumb because they won't put on the yellow shirt! :lol:

Well, at least some (if not all) of the people who aren't putting on the house-provided shirts are rooting for the other team. I mean, I don't really like going to opposing stadiums in general, and doubly so for a playoff game, but if I were somehow at the arena in that context, I wouldn't wear their stupid shirt either.

With the Lakers season having now come to it's remarkably disappointing end, anyone have any thoughts on what they will do for next year, player wise? Who will they look to get rid off, who will they want to keep, who will they want to acquire, and would the financial hit be the only reason they could have to let D'antoni stay on?

Geez. Nuggets escape with one after damn near giving it away. Still have a hope!

edit: and now the opposing coach accuses the nuggets of trying to hurt Curry. And talking about inside information about ...wait, what the hell is he talking about?

With the Lakers season having now come to it's remarkably disappointing end,

Disappointing for whom? =P

With D'antoni as their coach the Lakers are

A)Hosed

B ) Totally screwed

C)Fucked in the ass with a pineapple

D)All of the above

Remarkable results. The Knicks do not finish it off at home and let the Celtics back in the game. I know I predicted a 4-2 but this is still a surprise after the first three easy games.

Meanwhile, the Westbrookless Thunder lose their second game in a row against Harden's Rockets. Didn't see that coming either.

Compared to last year though, this Thunder team is now considerably reduced, and even then they barely beat the Spurs. Now, without both Westbrook and Harden...

Really pleased for the Rockets getting a win in OKC! They played fantastically last night and seemed to have an answer for everything the Thunder threw at them (whether it was a red hot Durant in the third quarter or Hack-a-Turk in the fourth). Played like a really mature and level-headed team, which is encouraging for the future. If they play like this they may be able to force a game 7, but I still expect the Thunder to advance. Martin and Sefalosha missed a lot of open outside shots which they got because of all the defensive attention given to Durant. The Rockets can't count on them shooting as badly as they did tonight again. It also remains to be seen whether Lin will be able to get back on the court for the last two games, and more importantly whether he'll be effective.

ST

After watching OKC vs Rockets today ,i dont want OKC to advance anymore.

I would feel bad for OKC if they were the first and only team to lose a 3-0 lead just because of Westbrook getting hurt. It sucks going into history that way for an epic collapse, and it isn't really deserved when they were so unprepared for losing Westbrook. I gotta say the person who looks the worst in all of this is Scott Brooks. OKC still ought to have enough talent left to close this one out, but at the moment they don't look like they have a plan at all.

OKC is being exposed as an organization. Tanked multiple years and did an incredible job scouting and drafting Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka. But in every other aspect they are pedestrian.

Even if OKC gets by Houston, I think they'll flame out next round against either Memphis or LA. Not having to worry about Russ, Memphis can just rotate a few good defenders on Durant and contain him. Also, Westbrook physically dominates Paul every time they recently went head to head. No Russ means Chris can run roughshod on okc, which would decide the series.

So it's better luck next year for the thunder. Really not a fan of KD anyway so all good for me.

I remember chuckling at the Rockets signing of Omer Asik as a consolation prize for not getting Dwight Howard, but I feel stupid now. The guy is a force in the middle.

OKC is being exposed as an organization. Tanked multiple years and did an incredible job scouting and drafting Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka. But in every other aspect they are pedestrian.

To an extent they have been lucky as an organization. Lucky that Portland took Oden instead of Durant, that the Heat took Michael Beasley and the Timberwolves took OJ Mayo instead of Westbrook, that the Grizzlies took Hasheem Thabeet (!) instead of Harden. They showed skill in hitting where other teams missed, but they were fortunate to even get a shot at each of those guys. That said, they've done a great job developing their young talent.

I still don't fully agree with their decision to get rid of Harden when they did (or keeping Perkins and his big contract instead of maxing out Harden if that's what it took) and there would be something fitting if Harden personally makes them pay.

Not that I want to see that. I enjoy watching Durant too much.

I still don't fully agree with their decision to get rid of Harden when they did (or keeping Perkins and his big contract instead of maxing out Harden if that's what it took) and there would be something fitting if Harden personally makes them pay.

Not that I want to see that. I enjoy watching Durant too much.

I remember disagreeing with you about the value of Perkins because I do think that he is providing good value when it comes to beating teams that aren't Miami. But if it seriously was a choice between Harden and Perkins, there's no question which of those guys is going to do more for the organization. It's a real shame that we didn't get to see Harden, Ibaka, Westbrook and Durant come into their primes together, because I think would have been really really exciting to watch. As dominant as the Heat have been this year and going forward, I think they would have more and more trouble with that foursome with each passing year. Alas, it will not happen.

I remember disagreeing with you about the value of Perkins because I do think that he is providing good value when it comes to beating teams that aren't Miami. But if it seriously was a choice between Harden and Perkins, there's no question which of those guys is going to do more for the organization. It's a real shame that we didn't get to see Harden, Ibaka, Westbrook and Durant come into their primes together, because I think would have been really really exciting to watch. As dominant as the Heat have been this year and going forward, I think they would have more and more trouble with that foursome with each passing year. Alas, it will not happen.

Yeah, I mean I phrased it as Perkins vs. Harden though if I'm being fair I think the ultimate issue was OKC's concerns about fitting three max guys under the cap (with Ibaka earning a ton too starting next year) and how that would destroy any flexibility at any other roster spot going forward. So the longterm concerns would've been there regardless, but I think having $8-9 million tied up in Perkins for the next couple years encouraged them to pull the trigger on Harden faster instead of going down every avenue trying to make it work. We all think the Thunder have a 5-10 year title window, but as this season has shown, there are no guarantees you get that realistic shot in any given season. Those opportunities are precious.

And yeah, I'm still miffed we won't get to see those four get a rematch against an even better Heat team this year.

Archived