The Rundown of the Dance of Dragons 2.0

Fire Eater

TWOW will move at ASOS speed and Dany will have well arrived in Westeros before the end. ADWD just finished the five year gap, there's no more stationary internal deliberation, team Dany will sweep West and take cities in single chapters.

The Dance is the prelude to the war of the dawn.

Right now, there is no chance - I repeat it - NO CHANCE that Aegon is going to acquire one of Dany's dragons. At least not in the foreseeable future. Dany's dragons are in Meereen, Aegon is in Westeros. Dany is not going to arrive in Westeros all too soon, and neither are her dragons, it seems.

Dany has now more or less bonded with Drogon. We can assume that as long as neither she nor Drogon die she will keep him. The other two dragons are as of yet riderless, but it has been heavily foreshadowed that one dragon (Viserion) will go to Tyrion.

The other dragon's first rider then may turn out to be Victarion, if Dragonbinder is going to take any effect. Victarion can't ride two dragons if the bit of dragonlore Tyrion gave to us in ADwD - that no one has ever ridden two dragons in his life - can be trusted.

If no unforeseen events occur neither Victarion nor Tyrion will leave Slaver's Bay for Westeros in the near future. Both have come to join (or claim) Daenerys. Tyrion has no other option, really, and Victarion seems to be determined to find out if Dany is still alive before he leaves.

The only scenario how one or two dragons leave Slaver's Bay for Westeros is if either Euron himself or his agents have secretly accompanied Victarion to Slaver's Bay. Then they may jump on the chance Dragonbinder provides and secure one or two dragons for themselves. Victarion may have to go in this scenario (or he rejoins his brother as a dragonrider), and then Euron - believing the story about Dany's death - may decide to take Westeros now while it is weak, making use of the prestige and power a dragon or two dragons will provide him/them.

But even in this scenario I see no way how Aegon could end up with either 'the Greyjoy dragon' or one of their dragons. Neither does Aegon seem to be dragontamer material, nor does he seem to have the knowledge how to bond with a dragon after its rider has died. Nor will he have the capability if he is no Targaryen/Blackfyre at all. And if Dragonbinder works and binds the dragons who hear its blow to people with Greyjoy blood, Aegon would have no chance to take either Viserion or Rhaegal even if he had Targaryen blood.

Most importantly, the big event in ADwD was that Aegon decided to go to Westeros without either Daenerys or dragons. It's obviously that this decision is going to bite him in the ass. I don't see how this is going to happen if Aegon miraculously acquires a dragon as well.

My guess is that the war that is going to be called the second Dance of the Dragons will be a war that will be fought between Aegon VI Targaryen, Stannis I Baratheon (or Shireen I Baratheon), Euron I Greyjoy, and Daenerys I Targaryen. It will be called the second Dance because there will be at least two Targaryen pretenders fighting in this war, but also because more than one party is going to make use of dragons in this war. But this will not necessarily be the two Targaryen pretenders.

Technically, Euron may turn out as one of Dany's consorts later on, but if that would really be the way how he is going to try to conquer Westeros, my guess is GRRM would have made him one of Dany's suitors in ADwD instead of Victarion.

If Victarion is going to succeed and is not outmaneuvered by his brother (or if there is no attempt made by Euron to get rid of him) then I think he will be end up in team Dany rather than making a bid for the Iron Throne himself. The same is true if Tyrion becomes a dragonrider. At least originally. No one can't foresee right now what is going to happen in Westeros during the second Dance.

I agree that it highly unlikely that any of Danys dragons arrive anytime soon irregardless of who controls them. I'm not convinced that Eurons plot will work either. Having said that I think its possible that other players Stannis, Euron or Cersei will feel that they need dragons of their own and that since Dany has proven that it is possible and since her ressurection of the dragons has made magic, ecspecially fire magic, more powerful others will try to hatch dragons of their own. With the pyromancers guild and Qyburn available to her I think Cersei is the most likely to try. Stannis could also reboot his own dragon scheme if its possible at the Wall. Euron also has his own pet wizards, if the plan with Dany fails he might have a plan B as well, perhaps he lied to Vic and still has the egg that he said he threw into the Sea. Aegon has no wizard types about him at this point and Connigton does not seem like the type to entertain such things. If Aegon lives his hopes will rest on being the Queens kin and winning the loyalty of one of the dragons based on his blood. I ecspecially beleive that if Cersei wins her trial because of Qyburns creation, she will be more amenable to other experiments. The pyromancers have asked for permission to search Dragonstone and if she can give them the go ahead at this point and they relay to her what Stannis was planning and Qyburn says that its possible I think she will try to do it because of the sucsess that she perceives Ser Robert Strong to be.

Phase II: Dany Invades

Where will Dany land?

Answers: The Vale and Dragonstone

All the rest is well and good.

However, if she lands at the Vale without welcome, she will have to fight her way up to the castle. I supposed she could flame the place, but why lay wast to the Vale? If she has the wits to take on Tyrion, she will have the tribes of the mountain.

As to Dragonstone, there does not seem to be room for her dragons, much less anyone who follows her.

if she is not in league with the Grifs, then I think she must land in Dorne to assess and mass her following in Westeros. It would be nice if she and Drogon dropped by to see and eat Cersei on the way....

Note: my spelling is atrocious. Sorry

All the rest is well and good.

However, if she lands at the Vale without welcome, she will have to fight her way up to the castle. I supposed she could flame the place, but why lay wast to the Vale? If she has the wits to take on Tyrion, she will have the tribes of the mountain.

As to Dragonstone, there does not seem to be room for her dragons, much less anyone who follows her.

if she is not in league with the Grifs, then I think she must land in Dorne to assess and mass her following in Westeros. It would be nice if she and Drogon dropped by to see and eat Cersei on the way....

Note: my spelling is atrocious. Sorry

Not if she has a politician as skilled as Tyrion who can likely manipulate little Lord Robert, likely by promising to bring Sansa back, or keeping Lord Robert as a hostage. Why would Dany need to fight her way up the Eyrie when the entire court of the Eyrie as at the Gates of Moon?

No room for dragons? It was the traditional Targaryen ancestral home for centuries, and Dany will have three dragons and a large army to overwhelm any force there. Rhaenyra had Dragobnstone as well.

Landing in Dorne would run the risk of being in hostile enemy territory without a large enough following. The Vale has fresh reserves, and the parallel is a clear clue to the Dance of Dragons.

She can't pop into KL without a force large enough to face the Tyrell and Lannister armies there.

If Dany goes west with a huge army - i.e. with three sellsword companies, her Unsullied, the Volantene tigers, Jhaqo's khalasar, and her freedmen - and if she wants to deal with the usurper/false dragon Aegon, she would be well advised to go direct for the kill. That means to KL, perhaps via Dragonstone. There won't be any Tyrell or Lannister armies at KL after Aegon has taken the city. Perhaps even Aegon and the Golden Company won't be there if the war in Westeros demands that they be somewhere else.

If Tyrion is in an important position at Dany's court at this time, they won't go to the Vale. Especially not if Littlefinger still rules there.

If Dany goes west with a huge army - i.e. with three sellsword companies, her Unsullied, the Volantene tigers, Jhaqo's khalasar, and her freedmen - and if she wants to deal with the usurper/false dragon Aegon, she would be well advised to go direct for the kill. That means to KL, perhaps via Dragonstone. There won't be any Tyrell or Lannister armies at KL after Aegon has taken the city. Perhaps even Aegon and the Golden Company won't be there if the war in Westeros demands that they be somewhere else.

If Tyrion is in an important position at Dany's court at this time, they won't go to the Vale. Especially not if Littlefinger still rules there.

The problem is Dany does not have a huge army and she has crappy soldiers compared to the Westerosian armies and GC of Young Griff, except the Unsullied. She definitely need ally forces in Westeros.

Crappy soldiers?! Daenerys has or will soon have Jhaqo's men - about 30,000 of Drogo's old khalasar -, her 7,000-8,000 Unsullied, three sellsword companies (the Stormcrows, Second Sons, Windblown), Victarion's Ironborn, and all the tiger slave soldiers of Volantis. Not counting her freedmen and her Meereenese allies.

This should be more than enough to beat any Westerosi resistance into dust, especially if Aegon's forces are weakened in the coming battles. He may easily take KL and the Iron Throne, but there will be losses. Especially since winter finally has come.

Of course, Dany could lose ships and men on her way to Westeros, but since Moqorro is going to join her, I do see her fleet dodging most, if not all the dangers they are going to face at sea.

And we should also keep in mind that she may keep all her three dragons (i.e. they may go to riders who fight for her). If that's the case, the mere symbolism of this should be enough to motivate a good portion of Aegon's supporters to defect to her.

It would be stupid if Dany tried to forge alliances in Westeros before she goes, or if she took a detour around KL instead of attacking it directly if she has the numbers. And I'm quite sure that Littlefinger and the Vale will be forced to declare for a king long before Dany arrives. Both Aegon and the Lannisters/Tyrells will make an overture to the Lords of the Vale, and it's not unlikely that Littlefinger won't be able keep the Vale out of this war. Especially if his hand is forced by the revelation of Sansa's identity. If Sansa is revealed before she is married/betrothed to Harry, they may be forced to offer Sansa as bride to Aegon.

We should also keep in mind that personally going to the Vale with the bunch of the troops would be completely stupid in winter. Dany and her army would be stuck in the Vale. They can only leave there in winter by ship from Gulltown.

I can see Dany landing on Dragonstone, taking the place of her birth which gave her the name 'Stormborn' would be an important sign. From there she may send envoys and/or ravens to various regions just as Rhaenyra apparently did after her brother had usurped the throne. But she and her main strength will then proceed to attack KL if she has the numbers. If an emissary goes to the Vale they may go with a good portion of her fleet to enable the Lords of the Vale to get troops back to Dragonstone/KL.

We have to keep in mind that Daenerys will not only have the Iron Fleet after the Battle of Meereen but also the 200 war galleys of the Volantenes. The size of this fleet should be enough to carry all of her men from Slaver's Bay to Westeros.

Not if she has a politician as skilled as Tyrion who can likely manipulate little Lord Robert, likely by promising to bring Sansa back, or keeping Lord Robert as a hostage. Why would Dany need to fight her way up the Eyrie when the entire court of the Eyrie as at the Gates of Moon?

Eh, the Vale is the one place where Tyrion would almost certainly be more hindrance than help. The lords of the Vale almost certainly know that Tyrion is one the armed the mountain clans, which isn't exactly going to endear him to them. Sansa hasn't even gone anywhere yet, so saying Tyrion can promise to bring Sansa "back" is incredibly premature. (And this entire line of thought assumes the leadership in the Vale will be more or less the same by the time Dany finally lands. Lord Robert might easily die, leaving Harry the Heir as the new Lord Arryn. Sweetrobin might live, but be spirited out of reach---a possibility that's much more likely now that he's at the Gates, a much easier place to "escape" from than the Eyrie.) And I think the point is that Dany would have to fight her way to the Gates of the Moon, not the Eyrie.

No room for dragons? It was the traditional Targaryen ancestral home for centuries, and Dany will have three dragons and a large army to overwhelm any force there. Rhaenyra had Dragobnstone as well.

There's definitely room for dragons at Dragonstone, but it's very premature to say that Dany will have three dragons and a large army by the time she finally lands in Westeros.

Landing in Dorne would run the risk of being in hostile enemy territory without a large enough following. The Vale has fresh reserves, and the parallel is a clear clue to the Dance of Dragons.

It remains to be seen if Dany will even realize that landing in Dorne would be stupid. I'm not too confident that she'll understand the implications of Quentyn's death, or the likelihood that Dorne will believe Aegon is real. And having been blessed with Amazon's preview of "The Princess and the Queen",

The Vale did side with Rhaenyra, but it looks like the Vale didn't really do much, in a tangible sense, to help her cause. Lady Jeyne Arryn sends troops, but the main action definitely isn't Vale-centric. And while Rhaenyra's third son, Joffrey, is ostensibly sent to the Vale to protect it from Aegon II's dragons, accompanied by one of his stepsisters, it's supposedly more to keep Prince Joffrey away from the fighting than to actually

do anything militarily. If we want to look at Rhaenyra as precedent, she basically goes from Dragonstone to King's Landing, with not a lot (any, actually) of travel in between.

And while it's very possible that Dany ends up landing in the Vale, I don't think the allegiances specified in the first Dance will necessarily automatically hold true for the second Dance. House Tyrell and House Greyjoy apparently sat out the first Dance (though many of the former's bannermen took part), yet I expect them both to be in the thick of things this time around. The North sided with Rhaenyra, and Dorne implicitly stayed out of things, but I expect the positions to be reversed this time around---the North stays out, and Dorne takes part, but on Aegon's side instead of Dany's. Much has been made of the whole "son before a daughter" thing as a specifically Andal rule, and the Vale is a heavily Andal-centric region. The Maid of the Vale, Lady Jeyne Arryn, supposedly had to side with Rhaenyra, because if Rhaenyra got passed over, there was a danger of that precedent causing Lady Jeyne to lose her own "rights". However, the current political situation in the Vale doesn't parallel this, as the current lord and his heir are both male and nobody's actively trying to overthrow Robert Arryn (Littlefinger, yes; Sweetrobin, no).

Eh, the Vale is the one place where Tyrion would almost certainly be more hindrance than help. The lords of the Vale almost certainly know that Tyrion is one the armed the mountain clans, which isn't exactly going to endear him to them. Sansa hasn't even gone anywhere yet, so saying Tyrion can promise to bring Sansa "back" is incredibly premature. (And this entire line of thought assumes the leadership in the Vale will be more or less the same by the time Dany finally lands. Lord Robert might easily die, leaving Harry the Heir as the new Lord Arryn. Sweetrobin might live, but be spirited out of reach---a possibility that's much more likely now that he's at the Gates, a much easier place to "escape" from than the Eyrie.) And I think the point is that Dany would have to fight her way to the Gates of the Moon, not the Eyrie.

I agree in general, but then again, we have, sorry about this, Chekhov's army (I hate using the term) of Tyrion's so-called friends in mountain clans. So, that might be why Tyrion would want to go to Vale, and advise Dany to do so. When I theorize how might Dany come to Westeros, and when Vale is in question, I always imagine a clash between Sansa and Dany (assuming LF is dead by that point) with Tyrion plotting to win the support of Vale with clansmen. Plus that would bring him fresh troops for his cause.

Tyrion may arrange a truce or even peace between Vale lords and the mountain clans. Jon did it in the North. If the ironborn attacks Oldtown and JonCon saves the day, Hightowers, Redwynes and other powerful Reach lords will go for Aegon. I expect weakened Tyrells (overripe peach) will side with Dany. The Lannister situation is interesting. I mean both Dany and Aegon have a million reasons to destroy the Westerlands completely. However, Dany having Tyrion may be one step ahead to recruiting them. If Tyrion manages to persuade the Lannister bannermen about Cersei being a dragon food soon, remaining Lannister forces may side with Dany. This makes quite a bloody long war.

I agree in general, but then again, we have, sorry about this, Chekhov's army (I hate using the term) of Tyrion's so-called friends in mountain clans.

I call them Chekov's Rampaging Clansmen. :) Honestly, I'd be very curious to see what the clans' current view of Tyrion actually is. He liked calling them his "friends" back in ACOK, but I always got much more of a "business relationship" vibe from them towards him, and I really don't think Tyrion was ever in the same position vis a vis the mountain clans as, say, Jon was vis a vis the wildlings (so I'd disagree with Lamprey that Tyrion could forge a peace there as Jon did with his "wildlings", because Jon had a certain cachet to the North/Watch and the wildlings, as a Stark, a LC, a warg, etc., that Tyrion never had with the mountain clans or the Vale lords). After the Blackwater, the clansmen disappear---and while we know Tyrion didn't spurn them, they might not realize that. From their perspective, Tyrion is the man in charge, his side wins the battle, then all of a sudden they're getting kicked out. A group unfamiliar with King's Landing politics could very easily read that as "the Halfman has abandoned us" rather than "the Halfman got kicked out of power", especially as Tyrion maintained a position of power afterward (Master of Coin) yet made no moves to re-establish ties with the clansmen at any point after waking up after the Blackwater.

I must have missed this, got a link? I don't see anything on the Amazon listing for Dangerous Women

Yesterday, practically the entire story was available as part of the "look inside" preview. I suspect TPTB got wind of this and swooped in to remove the "look inside" option, but my browser is still open, and the story with it, so ha! I say to them.

Dany's army from Essos will get obliterated when they invade. First off Westersi soldiers could destroy the Dothraki easily, the Dothraki would get ROFLSTOMPED by plated knights. Then add winter into the picture and barely any supply lines and I'd be surprised if they don't abandon her in droves.

I call them Chekov's Rampaging Clansmen. :) Honestly, I'd be very curious to see what the clans' current view of Tyrion actually is. He liked calling them his "friends" back in ACOK, but I always got much more of a "business relationship" vibe from them towards him, and I really don't think Tyrion was ever in the same position vis a vis the mountain clans as, say, Jon was vis a vis the wildlings (so I'd disagree with Lamprey that Tyrion could forge a peace there as Jon did with his "wildlings", because Jon had a certain cachet to the North/Watch and the wildlings, as a Stark, a LC, a warg, etc., that Tyrion never had with the mountain clans or the Vale lords). After the Blackwater, the clansmen disappear---and while we know Tyrion didn't spurn them, they might not realize that. From their perspective, Tyrion is the man in charge, his side wins the battle, then all of a sudden they're getting kicked out. A group unfamiliar with King's Landing politics could very easily read that as "the Halfman has abandoned us" rather than "the Halfman got kicked out of power", especially as Tyrion maintained a position of power afterward (Master of Coin) yet made no moves to re-establish ties with the clansmen at any point after waking up after the Blackwater.

Yesterday, practically the entire story was available as part of the "look inside" preview. I suspect TPTB got wind of this and swooped in to remove the "look inside" option, but my browser is still open, and the story with it, so ha!

Lucky you! Don't suppose you could post screen shots? or is there a thread discussing what people learned while it was available?

Nice name :). I don't like using Chekhov argument because everything is something of his in ASOIAF... Yes, I agree that there is a huge difference in Tyrion's and Jon's interactions with clansmen/wildlings. But, I was thinking that, if Daenerys, and we logically can assume that, brings with her smaller army, some 10 - 15 000 (Apple Martini wrote entire list of reasons why we shouldn't expect any greater number), then perhaps they would need some support to deal with Vale forces, who are after all untouched by Wo5K. That would also solve the problem of all those money Tyrion promised to Second Sons. After all, I think, clansmen would be much cheaper. But, you made a great point at how they would see him... Also, one thing, we should never forget that Sansa knows about clansmen and their connection with Tyrion. I don't think that is something she would easily forget, if we see Sansa and the Vale on one, and Dany and Tyrion on another side...

The Vale did side with Rhaenyra, but it looks like the Vale didn't really do much, in a tangible sense, to help her cause. Lady Jeyne Arryn sends troops, but the main action definitely isn't Vale-centric. And while Rhaenyra's third son, Joffrey, is ostensibly sent to the Vale to protect it from Aegon II's dragons, accompanied by one of his stepsisters, it's supposedly more to keep Prince Joffrey away from the fighting than to actually

do anything militarily. If we want to look at Rhaenyra as precedent, she basically goes from Dragonstone to King's Landing, with not a lot (any, actually) of travel in between.

And while it's very possible that Dany ends up landing in the Vale, I don't think the allegiances specified in the first Dance will necessarily automatically hold true for the second Dance. House Tyrell and House Greyjoy apparently sat out the first Dance (though many of the former's bannermen took part), yet I expect them both to be in the thick of things this time around. The North sided with Rhaenyra, and Dorne implicitly stayed out of things, but I expect the positions to be reversed this time around---the North stays out, and Dorne takes part, but on Aegon's side instead of Dany's. Much has been made of the whole "son before a daughter" thing as a specifically Andal rule, and the Vale is a heavily Andal-centric region. The Maid of the Vale, Lady Jeyne Arryn, supposedly had to side with Rhaenyra, because if Rhaenyra got passed over, there was a danger of that precedent causing Lady Jeyne to lose her own "rights". However, the current political situation in the Vale doesn't parallel this, as the current lord and his heir are both male and nobody's actively trying to overthrow Robert Arryn (Littlefinger, yes; Sweetrobin, no).

wait, his name was Joffrey? I didn't even know they released those names yet.

EDIT: hadn't seen this

Yesterday, practically the entire story was available as part of the "look inside" preview. I suspect TPTB got wind of this and swooped in to remove the "look inside" option, but my browser is still open, and the story with it, so ha! I say to them.

You lucky Snow/Stone/Storm/Sand/Waters/Rivers/Flowers/Pyke :D

Anything else of interest (without spoiling the story of course)?

Lucky you! Don't suppose you could post screen shots? or is there a thread discussing what people learned while it was available?

Anything else of interest (without spoiling the story of course)?

The "Princess and the Queen" thread was closed for length, and I'm kind of wary about starting a new thread for this info because this info wasn't "officially" (or at least, not intentionally) released, and I fear modly wrath might ensue. It's kind of hard to give spoilers without spoiling the story ( :)), and if anybody wants specifics, feel free to PM me. That said,

Having actually read pretty much the entire story (a few pages were missing, scattered throughout the preview, but only a few), I am more convinced than ever that 1) dragons do not actually care about Targaryen blood, and 2) Dany's going to end up viewed as a villain in Westeros.

Lord Robert won't die given that the impression is that he won't last long, and that means he will live. Dany's invasion has parallels with more than the original Dance of Dragons, but Aegon's Conquest as I have pointed out before. The Vale at the time was ruled by little King Ronnel Arryn in a parallel to little lord Robert. Ronnel was given a ride on a dragon, and I think Dany or Tyrion may do the same for Ronnel.

The Vale at the time was ruled by little King Ronnel Arryn in a parallel to little lord Robert. Ronnel was given a ride on a dragon, and I think Dany or Tyrion may do the same for Ronnel.

There is no way on earth that Robert Arryn is getting on a dragon's back. He's terrified of heights, he's terrified of animals, and he'd almost certainly end up having a seizure (he's prone to seizures!!) should someone even suggest he get on a dragon's back. Robert Arryn is not Ronnel Arryn reborn.

If you're looking for a parallel with Ronnel Arryn, I'd say Tommen is the more likely candidate (not a perfect candidate, obviously, but still much more likely than Sweetrobin). Ronnel's mother, Queen Sharra, sounds like a clear literary predecessor of Cersei. Ronnel Arryn, a child King, loses his Kingship in exchange for a dragon ride. Tommen is a child king, and we don't yet know how his story will yet end. And actually, we know that in the original Dance, Vhaegar---the dragon Ronnel Arryn was once allowed to ride---was ridden by one of the "Greens". If Aegon ends up with Rhaegal, the "Ronnel Arryn" story could very easily play out with Tommen/Aegon, not Dany/Tyrion/Sweetrobin.

There is no way on earth that Robert Arryn is getting on a dragon's back. He's terrified of heights, he's terrified of animals, and he'd almost certainly end up having a seizure (he's prone to seizures!!) should someone even suggest he get on a dragon's back. Robert Arryn is not Ronnel Arryn reborn.

If you're looking for a parallel with Ronnel Arryn, I'd say Tommen is the more likely candidate (not a perfect candidate, obviously, but still much more likely than Sweetrobin). Ronnel's mother, Queen Sharra, sounds like a clear literary predecessor of Cersei. Ronnel Arryn, a child King, loses his Kingship in exchange for a dragon ride. Tommen is a child king, and we don't yet know how his story will yet end. And actually, we know that in the original Dance, Vhaegar---the dragon Ronnel Arryn was once allowed to ride---was ridden by one of the "Greens". If Aegon ends up with Rhaegal, the "Ronnel Arryn" story could very easily play out with Tommen/Aegon, not Dany/Tyrion/Sweetrobin.

I always considered Sansa as Sharra's parallel... I can just imagine Sansa and Dany confronting each other, perhaps like Rhaenys Visenya and Sharra... I do admit that Fire Eater's predictions for Sansa gave nice closures for some stories, but I still want her to be Lady of Harrenhal at the end...

edit: damn'it again... Aegon's sisters are troubling me... I forgot about my "vice versa system for them"

Archived