How will the TV Audience feel about Tyrion? (Book 3 Spoiler)

Bridgeburners

Seems quite certain by now that Jaime's deception regarding Tysha will be included on the show. They foreshadowed it HARD a few weeks back.

NCW said in an interview before the start of season 4 that "Jaime has many secrets"... If that's not a hint, I don't know what is.

^In Mockingbird, Jaime says to Tyrion "you fell in the love with a whore" and Tyrion says "and I was stupid enough to think she loved me back." Jaime's face looked guilty as all hell when he said that. Tysha wasn't brought up of course but she was very present in the subtext of the scene.

Yes, pretty sure they've kept the Tysha "subplot". She's been mentioned a good number of times, and anyone who's paid proper attention would've noticed all the little hints we've had for two or three seasons.

I must also say I'll always marvel at the show viewer's capacity of hating on characters that are fairly likeable, or not as loathsome as their book counterpart. Wishing death upon Shae is just ridiculous, just as was the super violent Cersei hate prior to season 4.

^Yeah, I don't get that either. I think "I'm a whore, remember?" was a pretty good explanation for her actions. He spurned her and she did what she knew how to do, she fucked him. The show won't play his killing her as a triumphal moment. Even just killing book Shae, a much different character, is probably the worst thing Tyrion's ever done.

^Yeah, I don't get that either. I think "I'm a whore, remember?" was a pretty good explanation for her actions. He spurned her and she did what she knew how to do, she fucked him. The show won't play his killing her as a triumphal moment. Even just killing book Shae, a much different character, is probably the worst thing Tyrion's ever done.

Raping some random serving girl who's name he didn't even know is considerably worse IMO than murdering someone who stabbed you in the back and tried to get you executed.

Raping some random serving girl who's name he didn't even know is considerably worse IMO than murdering someone who stabbed you in the back and tried to get you executed.

Which random serving girl did he rape? Not the one in Illyrio's house since Tyrion did not rape her, he frightened and threatened her verbally.

I think this is a gross forum misunderstanding transported through many posts until people forgot what they have read.

And apart from that : a person killed is dead, REALLY dead, and killing for whatever reason is the most irrevocable deed, a life cannot be brought back.

I did wonder if they were going to replace Tysha with Shae - in other words she is somehow spirited across the Narrow sea after 'pottydeath'. It just struck me rereading DWD that Tyrion obsesses about searching for Tysha - ' where do whores go?' And in the show they've spent an inordinate amount of time building Shae as a character. Of course this could just serve to make her death more powerful if it does happen, and the whole search for Tysha thing is ignored completely. Which wouldn't surprise any of us right?

Btw - new to forum - loving your work guys - the passion and scholarship evidenced here is really impressive. Pissed off I can't upload my photo as it's a doozie!

Which random serving girl did he rape? Not the one in Illyrio's house since Tyrion did not rape her, he frightened and threatened her verbally.

I think this is a gross forum misunderstanding transported through many posts until people forgot what they have read.

And apart from that : a person killed is dead, REALLY dead, and killing for whatever reason is the most irrevocable deed, a life cannot be brought back.

He raped the slave girl in Pentos (I think ?), and it's ambiguous whether he finally had his way with her.

In any case : do we have to compare and go through a which is worse again ? Both acts were gross, and downright awful, and not in the least justifiable

@swordswallower : I don't think it's likely, or else they wouldn't have introduced the Tysha affair at all, among other reason, but your reasoning is sound.

And welcome to the forum.

^I guess it's my fault for opining that killing Shae was his worst act. The point is that's where he crosses the moral line in the sand and his nastier acts in Essos are in the same vein and part and parcel of the same descent into darkness.

In that we still hear his vulnerability and his wit and whatnot, I don't think Tyrion ever becomes completely unsympathetic through ADWD, but we see that he has a petty retributive streak just like his Daddy and that needs to be made apparent.

Given how many other scenes have been sanitised so far, it wouldn't surprise me if Shae's murder will be changed in the tv adaptation to make Tyrion more likeable.

I've just been re-reading my favourite chapters and came across Tyrion's wedding chapter the other day. Until then, I'd totally forgotten that in the book he doesn't stop Sansa from undressing as a proper gentleman would, but instead gets naked and climbs into bed with her with the intention of consummating the marriage. A perfect example of changing the story to make him more likeable for the tv audiences.

Given how many other scenes have been sanitised so far, it wouldn't surprise me if Shae's murder will be changed in the tv adaptation to make Tyrion more likeable.

I've just been re-reading my favourite chapters and came across Tyrion's wedding chapter the other day. Until then, I'd totally forgotten that in the book he doesn't stop Sansa from undressing as a proper gentleman would, but instead gets naked and climbs into bed with her with the intention of consummating the marriage. A perfect example of changing the story to make him more likeable for the tv audiences.

That was easy to sanitize, just make him decide not to go through with it much earlier. But how exactly do you "sanitize" a murder?

Audiences will still love Tyrion, an actor's charisma can go a long way to make a character captivating, and Dinklage is one of the most likable actors on the show. Just look at what Charles Dance has done with Tywin, audiences "love" Tywin. If anything, Tyrion's darker actions will make him a more interesting character.

He raped the slave girl in Pentos (I think ?), and it's ambiguous whether he finally had his way with her.

In any case : do we have to compare and go through a which is worse again ? Both acts were gross, and downright awful, and not in the least justifiable

@swordswallower : I don't think it's likely, or else they wouldn't have introduced the Tysha affair at all, among other reason, but your reasoning is sound.

And welcome to the forum.

But an event that has not yet happened can hardly influence tv audience. Pentos is far away. So far you may be projecting your personal opinion as book reader but tv only fans may see things very differently at that point of the story. Some may react to the killing of Tywin, some to the killing of Shae and some may see both as either justified or understandable. Small nuances can make all the difference, Shae's words in Tywin's bed may make the audience despise her (explanation though maybe not justification of killing) or pity her. And Tywin's clear verbalization of the death penalty right into the face of his son may be seen as horribly disgusting by the audience. Before Tywin had been turned into the caring grandfather, the guy who educates lost girls, who cleverly manipulates Jaime. And now he is absolutely cruel.

And then there is the Tysha tragedy.

If Shae testifies against him in the trial and shows up in Tywin's bed, I think the audience will turn against her pretty hard. It will be a shock, but the audience will continue to like Tyrion.

Tyrion will remain a like-able character. I cannot wait for the deaths. Some people just deserve it. And I think the show watchers won't have a big problem with it. I'll be celebrating.

But an event that has not yet happened can hardly influence tv audience. Pentos is far away. So far you may be projecting your personal opinion as book reader but tv only fans may see things very differently at that point of the story. Some may react to the killing of Tywin, some to the killing of Shae and some may see both as either justified or understandable. Small nuances can make all the difference, Shae's words in Tywin's bed may make the audience despise her (explanation though maybe not justification of killing) or pity her. And Tywin's clear verbalization of the death penalty right into the face of his son may be seen as horribly disgusting by the audience. Before Tywin had been turned into the caring grandfather, the guy who educates lost girls, who cleverly manipulates Jaime. And now he is absolutely cruel.

And then there is the Tysha tragedy.

Well tbf I was just responding to your previous statement, but admittedly it was slightly OT.

I don't expect the audience to feel sorry for Tywin, nor do I feel they should tbh.

Shae is a completely different matter, and seeing how she's been developed into a more sympathetic character (most of the time anyway), I think it's safe to assume the writers went for a compassionate and tragic angle.

What bothers me is that the viewers will most likely revel in her death anyway, and it feels very wrong to say the least.

Archived