Best Westerns (not about hotels)

thecryptile

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon: Cause of this scene

Captain Nathan Brittles: [Cohill and Pennell are about to fight over Olivia] Button your shirt, Mister Pennell! Thought better of you. Four years out here and still actin' like a wet-eared "kaydet" on the Hudson. What is this all about, Mr. Cohill?

Lt. Flint Cohill: Sir, I... I decline to answer... respectfully.

Captain Nathan Brittles: Mr. Cohill, it is a bitter thing, indeed, to learn that an officer who has had nine years experience in the cavalry - the officer to whom I am surrendering command of this troop in two more days - should have so little grasp of leadership as to allow himself to be chivvied into a go at fisticuffs while 'Taps' still sounds over a brave man's grave! God help this troop when I'm gone.

And every single scene with Top Sergeant Quncannon

Top Sergeant Quincannon: [about to cross a river] Can you swim, Dickie me boy?

Dickie, small boy: No.

Top Sergeant Quincannon: Well, I'm the best swimmer in the world. Once I swam the English Channel... with an anvil on me chest.

I watched Tombstone a few hours ago, and I enjoyed it. I think I liked the setup in the first hour better when the fights took place. It felt too cheesy, whereas the setup was brilliant. I'd give it a 7 or 8 so I'd say it's a pretty solid western.

Val Kilmet as Doc Holliday was completely brilliant too. Just pure badassness.

My favorites have been mentioned, such as

The Searchers

Once Upon a Time in the West

Unforgiven

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Red River

Little Big Man

Pale Rider

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Blazing Saddles

etc.

A couple one I didn't see mentioned that I enjoyed:

The Rare Breed - Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Keith

The Cheyenne Social Club - Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda

The Long Riders - Keaches, Carradines, and Quaids. Loved David Carradine as Cole Younger.

I didn't see any mention of Silverado?

My in laws were huge fans of westerns, which they showed constantly on TCM back in the day. You get to like them after awhile. My favorite is probably Big Sky with Kirk Douglas and Dewey Martin.

I loved the epic The Big Country starring Gregory Peck and Jean Simmons. Surprised that one hasn't been mentioned.

THANK YOU! I looked through the entire thread for one mention of what may be one of my favorite movies, but did not see a mention until you.

Other Favorites:

* Dollars Trilogy

* Once Upon a Time in the West

* McLintock!

* The Searchers

BUT SHAME ON YOU ALL! Where is any mention of John Ford's Stagecoach, starring John Wayne?

Is this a good time to mention that I've always wanted to write a "Middle-Eastern", with Israeli cowboys and Palestinian Indians?

:lol:

Speaking of James Stewart westerns, apparently y'all forgot to mention "Destry Rides Again" (Oddly, there was never a "Destry Rides". I have no explanation for that.) Anywho... a fun western featuring a young Jimmy Stewart and a young Marlene Dietrich.

I really liked Open Range.

The shoot out at the end has one of least stereotypical western movie moment ever.

The anti-hero (costner) shoots the opposing top gunslinger in head immediately when it starts. No typical big staredown at the end. Villain starts yapping. Costner shoots him the head like a boss.

Wouldn't mind catching any decent Eastern European or Chinese western types if anyone knows of any?

And who can forget the F Troop series with its campy western satire. :P

You should try "The White Sun of the Desert" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066565/?ref_=nv_sr_1). I haven't seen it myself (it has been on my to watch list for ages) but it has great history. It's a tradition amongst Russian Cosmonauts to watch that movie the night before the launch of their spaceship takes place (ever since Gagarin IIRC).

You can find the movie on Youtube (with English subtitles) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yia2azQd4GY

Did anyone mention The Sons of Katie Elder with John Wayne and Dean Martin. It had a young Dennis Hopper it it as well. I loved that movie.

I also liked the two part TV movie called The Sackets that had Sam Eliot and Tom Selleck. It was based off of my favorite Louis L'Amour books. I have read all 134 of his books by the way...

I've always enjoyed a good Sam Penkinpah shoot'em up. The flawed but entertaining Major Dundee is a fascinating watch when you consider the themes and sequences were yet to be mastered by the director with latter westerns; The Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

Thinking of my top 5 or 10, which there is no need to list here as it's fluid and comprises of the films already mentioned in this thread, I like how there are examples from almost every decade in the past 60yrs.

Archived