Cersei Lannister and the more beautiful queen.

Archibald Big Man

Of all the mentioned ladies, Sansa is the best Queen material...

And what the heck is "queen material" anyways? Fertile and powerful parents?

Anyways, Sansa, actually has three ways to achieve a queenship at this point, that I can think of.

1. The traditional, marry a king. Despite Tommen being off the market, Aegon and Euron still need wives. Selyse might also end up dead considering the tense situation at the Wall putting Stannis back on the market. However, Sansa is already married, making this route pretty unlikely.

2. Queen in the North. She is the only Stark still widely believed to be alive, making her Robb's obvious heir. It would not surprise me to see Littlefinger try to exploit this along with the deteriating situation in King's Landing to crown her.

3. Queen of the Rock, the wildcard. First, let me be clear that under no circumstance can Sansa control Casterly Rock without her husband. However, Tyrion has often been foreshadowed with "kingly" imagery. Usually, this is interpretted as Tyrion being a bastard of Aerys II instead of Tywin's trueborn son. However, I think it makes more sense for him to follow Robb's and Balon's example and become king of his 1 kingdom region in his own right. Which would immediately make Sansa his queen.

Sansa, soon to be ruler of the Vale

OK, everything I said about Sansa never being able to rule the Westerlands without being married to Tyrion? It also applies to the Vale. Right now, the Lords of the Vale have ZERO reason to choose her as their leader, and she has no power to make them. The Vale is not so different than the North, in that it resents rule from someone who is not "of the Vale." If she marries Harold, then they would accept her, but only as Harold's wife, not a "leader." Ditto if she marries little Robert and he manages to stay alive.

At best, Sansa can convince the Lords of the Vale to side with her against another faction, such as joining with Stannis and invading the Riverlands or King's Landing.

Queen of the Rock, the wildcard. First, let me be clear that under no circumstance can Sansa control Casterly Rock without her husband. However, Tyrion has often been foreshadowed with "kingly" imagery. Usually, this is interpretted as Tyrion being a bastard of Aerys II instead of Tywin's trueborn son. However, I think it makes more sense for him to follow Robb's and Balon's example and become king of his 1 kingdom region in his own right. Which would immediately make Sansa his queen.

That is an interesting possibility, would be a shocker for sure.

I don't see the Dany storyline converging to meet Cersei. My bets are on Sansa.

Since Tyrion also has a deep hatred of Cersei and he may come back with Dany, it's possible that their storylines will meet. If Dany awards Tyrion with Casterly Rock for example, that would be a deep blow for Cersei, and if Tommen and/or Myrcella are still alive by that time, they may not survive her coming (or Aegon's, possibly) for long. No doubt Cersei would be "cast down", allthough the question is how much "casting down" is left after confrontations with Margaery, the High Septon and possibly Aegon. If Cersei manages to get some measure of power back after her trial, then the #1 suspect moves from Margaery (still a good candidate, now) to Dany or Arianne. Sansa seems more like a wildcard, at the moment; I could see her becoming queen at the very end of the books, but I suppose Cersei would be long dead by then.

But, as Barristan Selmy points out in his POV in aDwD, the kings guard vows only to protect the king. The other members of the royal family are entitled to the protection of the kings guard only if the king chooses to extend the protection over them. So, Jaime's oath is to protect the king, not Cersei.

I don't think it's that clear really. Here is the Barristan passage you refer to:

The first duty of the Kingsguard was to defend the king from harm or threat. The white knights were sworn to obey the king’s commands as well, to keep his secrets, counsel him when counsel was requested and keep silent when it was not, serve his pleasure and defend his name and honor. Strictly speaking, it was purely the king’s choice whether or not to extend Kingsguard protection to others, even those of royal blood. Some kings thought it right and proper to dispatch Kingsguard to serve and defend their wives and children, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins of greater and lesser degree, and occasionally even their lovers, mistresses, and bastards. But others preferred to use household knights and men-at-arms for those purposes, whilst keeping their seven as their own personal guard, never far from their sides.

Keep in mind that in that same chapter Barristan has to keep convincing himself that he is not breaking his vow to Dany by arresting Hizdahr. I'd imagine the Kingsguard oath, like that of the Night's Watch, has remained the same since the inception of the Kingsguard. So the knights are making the same vow whether or not the King decides to use them to protect his family. Then there's this:

“You’re hurting me,” they had heard Rhaella cry through the oaken door. “You’re hurting me.” In some queer way, that had been worse than Lord Chelsted’s screaming. “We are sworn to protect her as well,” Jaime had finally been driven to say. “We are,Darry allowed, “but not from him.”

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think the issue of who a Kingsguard is sworn or is expected to protect is at least a little hazy right now.

Since Tyrion also has a deep hatred of Cersei and he may come back with Dany, it's possible that their storylines will meet.

I'd rather it was the queen who had a deep hatred for Cersei, not her advisor.

Which is why I don't want the queen to be Dany, Cersei means absolutely nothing to her.

Considering that the word "queen" is never actually used and that the prophecy hints at some sort of personal vendetta involved (i.e. it wouldn't be Dany), I'm leaning toward Sansa or Cersei herself in her younger days -- when she made the choices that would lead to her own downfall. It seems much more fitting to me that Cersei is ultimately responsible for her own demise through her own choices. But if it's not Cersei herself, it's Sansa.

I think Dany certainly would kill Cersei if she fell into her hands.

I posted in another thread that I think it's going to be Loras and Arya.

Loras will find Stannis' bastard proof info at Dragonstone and go public with it. Tommen and Myrcella could end up being killed for being abominations and in addition to losing her children, she'll lose any power she could have exercised with the IT. She did commit treason so it's very likely her life would be at stake as well.

Enter Arya, and thanks to Cersei's warped mind, thinks she's Lyanna (who "took" Rhaegar and Robert from her, aka TQoLaB) and has "come back" to finish off the job. It's not too much of a stretch to say with Cersei's mental instability, that she could jump to the conclusion that "Lyanna" was behind the whole revelation thing.

In steps the Valonqar, who I think is Jamie. He intervenes, saving Arya from a rabid Cersei ,and fulfills part of his vow to Catelyn.

Arya does have a pretty hefty vendetta against Cersei herself. I just think that it could be an interesting way for the prophecy to be fulfilled.

That or Cersei being responsible for her own downfall.

Which is why I don't want the queen to be Dany, Cersei means absolutely nothing to her.

This is why I think it will be Sansa. To me, this is about something personal, so it would be incredibly unsatisfying if it turns out to be Dany, who hasn't had anything to do with Cersei before and doesn't care about her one way or the other, and she just ruins Cersei's life in passing on her way to conquer Westeros. To me it needs to matter, and it wouldn't matter to Dany. To Sansa, however, it would. A lot. (The personal angle is also why I think the valonqar is Jaime and not just some random little brother, but that's for another thread.)

I'd rather it was the queen who had a deep hatred for Cersei, not her advisor.

But don't you understand? That's the point. Cersei was abusive and manipulative towards Margaery and Sansa; if they are the Younger Queen, she will feel that she was correct all along in her mistrust of them.

However, if it's Dany, she'll realise what a huge mistake she made by alienating Sansa (who may be an important ally to Daenerys) and the Tyrells (through Margaery). If she hadn't been so consumed by the prophecy and desperate to avoid it, she would have concentrated more on the threat of Daenerys and kept her alliance with the Tyrells, and she may have been able to defeat Daenerys.

The lesson from this prophecy is to not be consumed by prophecies.

Oh, and one of the key themes of ASOIAF is about the futility of vengeance. So far Sansa has been one of the least vengeful characters in the series. That is a good thing, and I hope it stays that way.

As much as I want it to be Sansa or the younger Cersei, I don't think it's going to be them, i think its going to be Dany.

After doing rereads I keep getting hunches that its going to be Dany or maybe Aegon.

He gave her an apologetic smile and told her of a puppet show that had recently become popular amongst the city’s smallfolk; a puppet show wherein the kingdom of the beasts was ruled by a pride of haughty lions. “The puppet lions grow greedy and arrogant as this treasonous tale proceeds, until they begin to devour their own subjects. When the noble stag makes objection, the lions devour him as well, and roar that it is their right as the mightiest of beasts.”

At the end a dragon hatches from an egg and devours all of the lions.”

As much as I want it to be Sansa or the younger Cersei, I don't think it's going to be them, i think its going to be Dany.

After doing rereads I keep getting hunches that its going to be Dany or maybe Aegon.

There is actually a theory that Varys is fronting the puppet show, to grease the population to expect and look forward to a return of the Targaryan dynasty. Only its Aegon VI he's plotting for, not Dany.

Because frankly, I just don't see any Targaryen holding the Iron Throne at the end of the series.

There is actually a theory that Varys is fronting the puppet show, to grease the population to expect and look forward to a return of the Targaryan dynasty. Only its Aegon VI he's plotting for, not Dany.

Because frankly, I just don't see any Targaryen holding the Iron Throne at the end of the series.

That makes sense, I also dont think the iron throne will exist at the end of the series.

• 1 year later...

Archived