Sleepy Hollow

Myrddin

Yea, I thought of Duke Leto.

Also, the OnStar bit where Crane is talking at the beginning was magic. Simple good humor that almost started out corny.

I did find that simply throwing the book into the well of despair there was a little bit too easy. I think it would have been fun to have a few of the demons escape, maybe in a weakened state. They have to establish some other baddies aside from Moloch there, or the fact that they defeat him at every turn is going to turn him into a pathetic villain.

But I actually thought the Hessians were pretty bad ass overall.

Good ghost story this week, albeit a little predictable. When the series returns on Nov. 4, the guy that played Dr. Walter Bishop on Fringe will be making an appearance.

Yes! And also James Frain, a.k.a. Franklin from True Blood (although he's been in a bunch of other things).

I will never get tired of Ichabod struggling with modern life. His reaction to the shower puff, his bitching about plastic, his ignorance of the word "spackle," etc. etc.

The chemistry between Ichabod and Abbie is ridiculous.

I'm almost certain they didn't speak Middle English at the time of Roanoke, being as it was during the reign of Elizabeth the First and well outside the traditional medieval period, but it was a nice touch anyway.

Hoping that guy who has a 'past' with Abbey and is digging dirt up on Crane gets a violent, one-sided meeting with one of the horsemen. Orlando Jones makes a respectable Commissioner Gordon, hope he isn't a secret bad guy.

And man I cannot seem to muster two shits for Katrina.

I'm almost certain they didn't speak Middle English at the time of Roanoke, being as it was during the reign of Elizabeth the First and well outside the traditional medieval period, but it was a nice touch anyway.

Hoping that guy who has a 'past' with Abbey and is digging dirt up on Crane gets a violent, one-sided meeting with one of the horsemen. Orlando Jones makes a respectable Commissioner Gordon, hope he isn't a secret bad guy.

Yeah I'm wondering about Orlando Jones , his character is named Frank Irving which is a nod to Washington Irving the author of the original "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". So not sure if he is supposed to be the normal guy who witnesses and eventually records the events of the next 7 years, or is he somehow behind everything, either as George Washington's successor as the leader of the good guys, or as the chief Hessian.

According to Wikipedia it's 'only' about a 100 years out of when Middle English became Early Modern, but still, yeah, it's some fairly poor fact-checking.

Orlando Jones makes a respectable Commissioner Gordon, hope he isn't a secret bad guy.

It's odd coz in the first episode he got a Significant Look that implied that he is but since then there's been no follow-up whatsoever. I hope he isn't, I like him.

As for the other guy, yeah, he's annoying: but it is an interesting little tidbit about Crane actually being a tenured professor in modern Oxford.

And yeah, all Katrina exists for at the moment is to give just enough information to be of no use whatsoever. No emotional connect at all.

As for the other guy, yeah, he's annoying: but it is an interesting little tidbit about Crane actually being a tenured professor in modern Oxford.

About that...did someone bother to give England a call and set up a cover for him, or is it something more nefarious - the bad guys protecting him for some reason? Or, my new pet theory, he is either an actual modern Oxford professor on loan to the Sleepy Hollow PD, and he's suffering from some sort of psychotic break or there's a mass memory spell going on or something, or he is from the American Revolution, but we're being set up for a 'the bad guys make him think he's suffering from a psychotic break' plot down the line.

Or maybe the good guys set up his cover, did you ever consider that? It's been made clear that Crane is special, being kept back on dangerous missions to make sure he survives and so on, and there is the good-guy coven in Sleepy Hollow that both Katrina and the priest in Sleepy Hollow belonged to.

They obviously have something in mind for Crane, so why wouldn't they rig the files at Oxford to make it appear as though he is a tenured professor there?

That makes more sense...(the good coven, maybe?)...but I like my theory better. Psychotic break ftw. This show is actually a subtle, self aware critique of modern academia and academic obsession and insularity, is what it is.

I really enjoyed this week's episode. I initially was kind of meh about the series. But this week's episode combined with the growing SH fandom online and their creative postings, the twitter banter between the SH writers and the Elementary writers, and the NYCC panel on the show have kind of sold it for me.

And I'm so excited about John Noble joining the cast, albeit as a recurring guest star. He was so fantastic in Fringe. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on this show!

Agree on both statements.

So I'll say it again...this is a supernatural rip off...First the Horsemen,now Roanoak...and they even put Purgatory in it...Yup it's official it's SPN :P

Ok episode,still watching for Crane/abbey chemistry.

Slowing down the pace of the story a bit is also a good thing imho.

I think this other identity of Ic's is for the sake of abbey. It will be the test of her believing in witness and apocalypse thing.

Just to drop in and say I adore this show... With The Blacklist, it is a crown jewel of this seasons's new TV shows... I especially liked "baked goods tax" line... Wasn't sure about whether I will like it, but it's great...

About that...did someone bother to give England a call and set up a cover for him, or is it something more nefarious - the bad guys protecting him for some reason? Or, my new pet theory, he is either an actual modern Oxford professor on loan to the Sleepy Hollow PD, and he's suffering from some sort of psychotic break or there's a mass memory spell going on or something, or he is from the American Revolution, but we're being set up for a 'the bad guys make him think he's suffering from a psychotic break' plot down the line.

I thought of that too, but heck, perhaps there is another Ichabod Crane at Oxford, and he is somehow connected to Sleepy Hollow...

I've really love the mythologies they've added to the story and the nuances like the OnStar scene, especially as "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" was really a morality tale about cowardice and greed, and Icabod was both.

Interesting take on the language. While I didn't think they were still speaking Middle English at that time, it's interesting to note as a modern English speaker that if I went back in time, I would understand nothing, not even help! :P

I also thought it was smart of Abby to not take that plant/flower that the little girl in the colony wanted to give her.

Now, waiting on "Grimm."

Agree on both statements.

So I'll say it again...this is a supernatural rip off...First the Horsemen,now Roanoak...and they even put Purgatory in it...Yup it's official it's SPN :P

Ok episode,still watching for Crane/abbey chemistry.

At least it has the decency to have real monsters, instead of just guys wearing black contact lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived