Football 53: Come on feel the Moyes!

Xray the Enforcer

I also don't see any need to bring Lahm forward, he might pull it off, but there is zero need given all the other candidates, and he'll still be a fantastic right back.

I'd all forgotten about Schurrle who is really emerging at Chelsea, and Podolski who used to be a guaranteed starter. Two more good choices that most teams would definitely start with.

Mueller is a real goal getter, and they could fit him at 9 that would solve part of the luxury problem.

But I'd have to see that work in repeated games before I'd be convinced, I see him more as a shadow striker. I'm not convinced he has what it takes to make it as the lone deep striker, but he's a phenomenal talent who might find a way.

I do think having him come off the right wing somewhat limits him, I'd rather see him paired with Gomez ( or Klose if you must). Not sure Low will be willing to look past Klose as their no.9 though, he is still doing very well for them in that position, as hard as that is to believe.

My line-up if I had to choose right now:

Neuer

Lahm, Boateng, Mertesacker, Schmelzer

Khedira, Kroos

Mueller, Ozil, Reus

Gomez/Klose

how far into the germany squad do you have to go before you come to an english midfielder who gets a mention, i'm thinking about 8.

At the moment? A lot further than you have to go before you find the first Welsh midfielder.

When Wilshere stops faffing around with cigarettes and injuries and starts fulfilling his potential? 0.

I genuinely don't understand people who don't think Wilshere's properly the business. He's started this season a touch flat and obviously injuries (or self-medicated Colombian import medical powders, depending on who you believe) have booted his career in the nadgers a bit, but he's probably played to the highest level of any of the many talented players in his age bracket. Remember when he dicked Barca at their own game?

I genuinely don't understand people who don't think Wilshere's properly the business. He's started this season a touch flat and obviously injuries (or self-medicated Colombian import medical powders, depending on who you believe) have booted his career in the nadgers a bit, but he's probably played to the highest level of any of the many talented players in his age bracket. Remember when he dicked Barca at their own game?

He's so inconsistent, at least he is at Arsenal. He plays well, but I hardly ever see him influence the game significantly. Just doesn't seem to be the difference maker that everyone thought he'd develop into. Not yet anyway.

I also don't see any need to bring Lahm forward, he might pull it off, but there is zero need given all the other candidates, and he'll still be a fantastic right back.I'd all forgotten about Schurrle who is really emerging at Chelsea, and Podolski who used to be a guaranteed starter. Two more good choices that most teams would definitely start with.Mueller is a real goal getter, and they could fit him at 9 that would solve part of the luxury problem.But I'd have to see that work in repeated games before I'd be convinced, I see him more as a shadow striker. I'm not convinced he has what it takes to make it as the lone deep striker, but he's a phenomenal talent who might find a way.I do think having him come off the right wing somewhat limits him, I'd rather see him paired with Gomez ( or Klose if you must). Not sure Low will be willing to look past Klose as their no.9 though, he is still doing very well for them in that position, as hard as that is to believe.My line-up if I had to choose right now:NeuerLahm, Boateng, Mertesacker, SchmelzerKhedira, KroosMueller, Ozil, ReusGomez/Klose

Think it will go something like this:

Neur

Lahm Boateng Hummels Lars Bender

Gundogan/ Schweinsteinger/and Khedira

Schurrle Ozil Reus

Muller

Also, I think Kruse from Gladbach could very well go at the World Cup.

He's so inconsistent, at least he is at Arsenal. He plays well, but I hardly ever see him influence the game significantly. Just doesn't seem to be the difference maker that everyone thought he'd develop into. Not yet anyway.

The not yet part is the real key there. You just have to look at Ramsey to see that a player needs that one full season, if not more, to really reach the level that he was before. With Ramsey, you can see he's become far better than he ever was. At the moment you can really only ask for hard work and regular playing time, both of which Wilshere is doing plenty of.

ETA : I would also argue that he's fairly consistent at the base line level, something like Ramsey was during our last 10 games last season. He's doing his job, not really taking control of games at the moment, but that will come.

This is the thing, Wilshere was out with injury almost as long (or even longer?) than Ramsey was. Before he got injured he was regularly tearing it up. Since he got back he's still regularly had games when he was really, really good (the West Brom game that was one of his first ones back, the first Brazil friendly being the standouts but there were a couple of others- certainly immediately on his return he showed good form and Arsenal picked up after a bad run) but he has been more inconsistent. Also teams have targeted him for a kicking, and that's not just been Stoke.

He's got things to work on, but he'll get there, I'm certain.

There's also the fact that some people have expected him to be a Goetze/Iniesta type outright AM and while he's occasionally been played there, that's not really him. He's best deeper, bringing the ball from further back.

The only problem really is that buying Ozil (and Flamini) has made things really cramped for space and, with Ramsey on this form, it's Wilshere who's getting moved out of position. It's pretty much made the Ox redundant in his favoured position too (since that's the same CM birth as both Wilshere and Ramsey).

Maybe I'm alone in this but even before he got injured, he still had many of the tendencies he has now. He also played a fairly different role in the team when he had Cesc around. It's taken a while to get used to almost a completely different midfield to what he was used to. I don't think the position, at this moment matters too much, more that he should get as much playing time as he can right now. I see that competition for places as a good thing rather than something that would hinder his development. It's not something that is going to keep him out of the side for a long time, I trust wenger more than enough to get the best out of him, he's generally been very good at getting the best of our players.

Justtttttttttttt back from the DC match with Alex and the DC regulars. Very rough match in many ways, but the Ultras were a blast as always, and Alex is officially on the people-I-don't-hate list, which is exclusive indeed.

i don't think there's anyone out there saying wilshere is not talented, or not good enough to play for arsenal.

it's just that many people, myself included, don't see what the whole fuss about him is.

he hasn't shown one reason to be considered as highly as some do. one of the world's best midfielders? he has the potential, but he's far off that mark at the moment.

Probably, but Lescott certainly should have, even if he was going shoulder-to-shoulder with The Mountain That Plays Football.

Lukaku has been so good. He nearly always makes the right decision with the ball. Lescott just glided across really, not sure what he was doing.

Archived