Season 3 Bluray and DVD Details Revealed

Westeros

What is up with Aidan Gillen's(Littlefinger) voice? His irish accent is coming through way to much.

Jorah's were the best since he has a great storytelling voice and they were the most interesting.

Edit: I didn't realise there were loads more.

The Lord of Light with Thoros narrating is brilliant. So is Blackfish's one about the Riverlands.

Oh well, the commentary I was looking forward to (3x05 and 3x07) was not as I had hoped.

Not that the writer and director weren't interesting, but they should have been on their own commentary tracks. They had a lot to say, and they said it. That left NCW/GC and GRRM mostly being polite and not observing things (and that's what I wanted to hear the most).

GRRM said he only wrote half of episode 7 and some of his scenes were moved to episode 8 including Dany and Daario first encounters with the Second Sons, and Sam and Gilly alone in the woods. I was hoping he'd name more, but he didn't get a chance. He didn't write most of the scenes in episode 7 people didn't like. "I had absolutely nothing to do with these Theon scenes!" and he said he was subtle about that in the books. He didn't write the Talisa and Robb scene that centered on Talisa's ass. He didn't write the bearpit scene (we already knew that) and I wanted to pat him on the back when it ended without the great exchange between Jaime and Brienne. He didn't write the Ser Jaime scene which most people liked (and he liked, too). He did write the scene where it's clear Tyrion has a choice and he turns down Shae/marries Sansa instead. NCW said of Tyrion, "Why didn't he just take off with Shae?" He also wrote the nice scene between Jon and Ygritte where Jon said not all women are like you. (He writes really well for Jon Snow, he should write all of his scenes.) He wrote the Dany scene where she is with her dragons. He wrote the Melisandre and Gendry scene (sailing past Kings Landing). He made it clear again that he writes what Benioff and Weiss have set up for him to write...

Cogman on the Hound: "What's also fun about Rory is he's very clearly a main character in the books right away but he kind of sneaks up on you as a main character in the TV series the way we adapted him."

Jaime and Brienne commentary:

3x02 -

Jaime: We don't get to choose who we love.

Daniel Minahan, director: An unexpected moment of tenderness between them, foreshadowing what may happen.

3x05 -

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: The connection they have is very deep. I think for Jaime, he's never had a connection with another person as he has with Brienne.

Gwendoline Christie: And nor her, him.

3x07 -

GRRM: The chemistry between Gwendoline Christie as Brienne and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime has just been amazing.

Michelle MacLaren, director: I love the chemistry between these two, too. We wanted to plant a little seed here. For the first time, she addresses him as “Ser Jaime”, and that doesn’t go unnoticed. And I think, you know, what we’re trying to do is put a little tiny spark between the two. Whether it’s romantic or not, we don’t know yet, but there’s some caring. She saved his life, and what they’ve gone through now has taken it to another stage, from being enemies to being friends and potentially more.

GRRM said he only wrote half of episode 7 and some of his scenes were moved to episode 8 including Dany and Daario first encounters with the Second Sons, and Sam and Gilly alone in the woods. I was hoping he'd name more, but he didn't get a chance. He didn't write most of the scenes in episode 7 people didn't like. "I had absolutely nothing to do with these Theon scenes!" and he said he was subtle about that in the books. He didn't write the Talisa and Robb scene that centered on Talisa's ass. He didn't write the bearpit scene (we already knew that) and I wanted to pat him on the back when it ended without the great exchange between Jaime and Brienne. He didn't write the Ser Jaime scene which most people liked (and he liked, too). He did write the scene where it's clear Tyrion has a choice and he turns down Shae/marries Sansa instead. NCW said of Tyrion, "Why didn't he just take off with Shae?"

I'm somewhat relieved to hear George wasn't really responsible for a lot of why 3x7 was so bad. It's cool that he wrote the Dany/Second Sons and Sam/Gilly scenes. I really liked them. Now that I know he wrote it the Randyll Tarly namedrop makes more sense.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear George wasn't really responsible for a lot of why 3x7 was so bad. It's cool that he wrote the Dany/Second Sons and Sam/Gilly scenes. I really liked them. Now that I know he wrote it the Randyll Tarly namedrop makes more sense.

Me, too. The director was dismayed, too, that they had basically cut and reassembled the two episodes (7 and 8). She said she had planned transitions from scene to scene, and that was lost.

Didn't we already knew GRRM wrote Sam the slayer? Good to know he has nothing to do with Theon's castration.

Episode 7 was a low point in the season, maybe it could have been better if they hadn't moved so many scenes, we'll never know (though I liked they move the bear pit to end that episode, and not have it "lost" in episode 8)

hmm, so it would seem that episode 7 was kind of sacrificed in order to make episode 8 much better. I didn't think episode 7 was as awful as many others seem to, but it definitely was weaker than the rest of the season. But then, I absolutely loved Second Sons, and it really benefited from the focus.

He also wrote the nice scene between Jon and Ygritte where Jon said not all women are like you. (He writes really well for Jon Snow, he should write all of his scenes.)

Couldnt agree more ! Jon's best scenes of the whole show were his scenes in episode 7 ! Although I really loved his last scene with Ygritte too !

I've just watched the animated history of The Reach, and it wholly amuses me that according to what Margaery has been taught by Lady Olenna, the Tyrell women have been controlling the family since at least the time of Aegon's Conquest, for it was actually Harlan Tyrell's wife who convinced him to surrender to the first Dragon King. Weiss described the Tyrells as a secret matriarchy in one of the Season 2 "Inside the Episode" featurettes, so it looks like the showrunners are pushing that angle not just on the TV series, but also in the family's distant history.

GRRM said he only wrote half of episode 7 and some of his scenes were moved to episode 8 including Dany and Daario first encounters with the Second Sons, and Sam and Gilly alone in the woods. I was hoping he'd name more, but he didn't get a chance. He didn't write most of the scenes in episode 7 people didn't like. "I had absolutely nothing to do with these Theon scenes!" and he said he was subtle about that in the books.

The commentary track for episode 2 also touched a little on this. Vanessa Taylor admitted how she'd asked D + D if there could be less Theon torturing scenes in season 3. She might have been half joking but it's certainly interesting that one of the central writers for the series has an opinion which matches a majority of the fan base.

Also interesting as I don't think she's returning to write for season 4 (though I may be mistaken). I wonder if she's gone to another show where her (completely accurate) suggestions will be heard.

(I think she also denied writing the controversial Catelyn scene from episode 2).

Yeah, I can imagine wanting to distance yourself from "the worst woman who ever lived" because she doesn't love the bastard her husband brought home scene.

And it was also noted Tyrion on the show is nicer than in the books...

That's an understatement ^^

And yes it's good they (more or less subtly) admit that some of the choices made were really off.

Is it the end of the week already ? I need to watch those.

hmm, so it would seem that episode 7 was kind of sacrificed in order to make episode 8 much better. I didn't think episode 7 was as awful as many others seem to, but it definitely was weaker than the rest of the season. But then, I absolutely loved Second Sons, and it really benefited from the focus.

I am interested to know why the show so completely rearranged these two episodes. While it's true that Ep7 was probably the weakest of the season (though I still quite liked it), I also believe Ep8 was among the best, very good on tension, drama, humour -- I can't remember another episode of GoT I laughed so much. So yeah, maybe they had two okayish episodes on their hands and decided to sacrifice one in order to make the other as good as possible?

Would be great if we had something definitive on this.

Emilia tells a great story on her commentary of ep. 10 about her doing Breakfast at Tiffany's in New York. When she came on stage someone said, "That's not her, where the fuck is the Khaleesi?" Emilia's impression of a bored American lady was pretty good.

As for the rearranging of scenes discussion, they've been up to that since S1. At least they try and rearrange scenes so that every scene in an ep. is by the same director. That's probably why, particularly next season, there are so many directors doing stuff back to back.

BTW, in ep. 10 commentary, Iwan Rheon said he's done a lot of work with Alex Graves. This in conjunction with George saying he'd wrote a scene with Ramsay's girls for his S4 ep. (ep. 2), leads me to believe that ep. 2 will be the Theon storyline reintroducer.

After listening to Alex Graves's commentary track, I'm so glad that he came back for four episodes. He really seems to understand the show and the characters and pulled off the big moments in his episodes excellently. And think of the big moments he likely has in S4, the PW, the Trial by Combat, Hands of Gold, Only Cat and of course "she remembers". Twill be gold.

Archived