[Book Spoilers] The Other Revelation

Florina Laufeyson

This....is pretty huge. Like, we always wondered what happened to Craster's babies. We theorized about it, created a knot of the fandom (Heretics) about it, we mulled it over, and tried to figure out what the hell was going on there.

Well.

We just had that answered for us. And the answer is still not a straight one. Theres still enough mystery surrounding the Others/White Walkers that we are left guessing. But still...Craster's babies.

My dad made a pretty cool observation:
These Other-People are pretty much all brothers. Think about it. Could they even have their own Night's Watch? Are these the lords of the Others? Was that the Heart of Winter we just saw?

Discuss.

Snip

Discuss.

I can get behind the "brother" idea. They looked to wearing the exact same armor. Nothing, truly spoiled if we think about it. We have all, long suspected....hell, knew there was crazy shit going down up there. I'm glad it was added to the show at this point. The writing has, long been on the wall; that show is going to pass the books. We just got a big taste of it.

It's a pretty big spoiler, Others are created by using their magic on living humans whereas they create Wights by using their magic on corpses.

That was also the Land of Always Winter

That was also probably the Night's King at the end. He was identified as such in a Rolling Stone article on the article, unless the author of said article did not actually have insider information from D&D and is guessing/full of shit. In any regard he is definitely going to become a big character in the books, probably ADOS. Shame to see it spoiled now.

Saw this passage posted on reddit I had forgotten

Gilly was crying. “Me and the babe. Please. I’ll be your wife, like I was Craster’s. Please, ser crow. He’s a boy, just like Nella said he’d be. If you don’t take him, they will.”

“They?” said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, “They. They. They.”

“The boy’s brothers,” said the old woman on the left. “Craster’s sons. The white cold’s rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don’t lie. They’ll be here soon, the sons.”

So pretty much just confirmation of something heavily implied in the books. I'm okay with it. Darth Maul White Walkers appearance i'm meh on....

But if it's a spoiler from an unreleased book... That is pretty awful. I've spent years trying to guide non-book reading friends away from spoilers that will cheapen the reveal of the tv show. If the writers cheapen any reveal of the books by putting it in the show ahead of schedule, that is a slap in the face.

I'm blown away, I seriously don't know how to process what I just watched. We just got a huge insight into the Others and what they are all about, yet we still know little to nothing about them. We do know that the white walkers are descendants of the frost giants from Jotunheim (Marvel Universe) ;) I wonder what GRRM has to say about that scene especially considering we haven't seen anything like that in the books.

Saw this passage posted on reddit I had forgotten

So pretty much just confirmation of something heavily implied in the books. I'm okay with it. Darth Maul White Walkers appearance i'm meh on....

Duuuuuude! I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THAT! You rock for posting that passage! :cheers:

As for their appearance, ehh. They look a lot like the jotnar from the Thor movies and im like "ok. Whatevs."

Still prettier than guys like Puddles/Shards.

We do know that the white walkers are descendants of the frost giants from Jotunheim (Marvel Universe

Hue!!!

But if it's a spoiler from an unreleased book... That is pretty awful. I've spent years trying to guide non-book reading friends away from spoilers that will cheapen the reveal of the tv show. If the writers cheapen any reveal of the books by putting it in the show ahead of schedule, that is a slap in the face.

That's all well and dandy, but the TV show is an adaptation of the series, not individual books. That writer supplying them with such future revelations is GRRM himself.

There are huge implications from this revelation:

Other (pun intended) things to consider:

-HBO confirmed the Other at the end was the Night's King

-The Night's King was in a line of 13 of these "ruling" Others.

-The Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch

This raises the question, do past Lord Commanders of the Watch become these ruling class of Others (or at least until the Night's King did)? This episode seems to imply so. This in turn raises the question, is the entire Watch a sham? Is the Watch itself a pawn of the Others? Was the wall really erected to protect Westeros from the Others or is it their own creation? If so, was Bran the Builder an Other, and if so is the entire Stark line descended from the White Walkers? If that's so, then maybe Jon as the Great Other reborn and Dany as Azor Ahai reborn is confirmed from just this one scene. Will Melisandre try to bring back Jon in TWOW, only to have him be reborn a White Walker? There are huge, plot-shattering implications from this simple short show spoiler.

This was stuff that book readers were not meant to see. It's spoiler territory. But HBO gonna HBO, and the show was bound to pass the books eventually given the speed of GRRM's writing.

There are huge implications from this revelation:

Other (pun intended) things to consider:

-HBO confirmed the Other at the end was the Night's King

-The Night's King was in a line of 13 of these "ruling" Others.

-The Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch

This raises the question, do past Lord Commanders of the Watch become these ruling class of Others (or at least until the Night's King did)? This episode seems to imply so. This in turn raises the question, is the entire Watch a sham? Is the Watch itself a pawn of the Others? Was the wall really erected to protect Westeros from the Others or is it their own creation? If so, was Bran the Builder an Other, and if so is the entire Stark line descended from the White Walkers? If that's so, then maybe Jon as the Great Other reborn and Dany as Azor Ahai reborn is confirmed from just this one scene. Will Melisandre try to bring back Jon in TWOW, only to have him be reborn a White Walker? There are huge, plot-shattering implications from this simple short show spoiler.

This was stuff that book readers were not meant to see. It's spoiler territory. But HBO gonna HBO, and the show was bound to pass the books eventually given the speed of GRRM's writing.

well...time to throw away all the Stannis going to become the Night King theories.

Archived