UK Politics: Referendum day!

Corvinus85

It says a lot about how unconvincing everyone else was that Gordon Brown was able to inspire people enough to supposedly make a difference.

Brown is capable of being inspiring, when he forgets about trying to be likeable and just speaks from the heart. He's still a bit pompous and long-winded, of course, but he's passionate and that comes over well.

The people talking him up over this need to get a bit of a grip, agreed. One of his former allies, on the radio this morning, actually talked about how Cameron was 'deferring' to Brown's authority on this. I nearly choked.

What I don't really understand, given that, is how come the Better Together peeps didn't get Tony Blair in on the action - surely they could have done? I mean, I can see how you'd be initially worried about associating yourself with all the controversy that he's created down the years, and perhaps he's hated even more in Scotland than I'm aware, but, well, Teflon Tony for a reason.

I think you really, really underestimate how disliked he is in Scotland. Besides, Blair was perceived to be lukewarm about devolution, is not currently an MP and represented an English constituency: whereas Brown currently represents a Scottish constituency. Brown was a legitimate voice in the discussion, whereas Blair would have been seen as just another outsider.

I heard this morning that 75% of the 16-18 year olds voted YES. Now, we had heard this group was actually not that inclined to vote for independence. Do people think this result is right: was there an especially massive swing to YES in that demographic?

I don't think anyone really knew how younger voters would break. My experience is that many of them went for No, but this is quite a strong No area.

I've always quite liked Brown, poor sod should never have tried to be PM is all.

Yeah, he comes across as a decent geezer, he's just a terrible PM.

Haha sending Blair up might have delivered a ten percent swing to the Yes vote.

Then they should have sent him as a secret agent pretending to support Yes...

It's not particularly unreasonable for him to resign at this point. Even though I don't particularly like him he's achieved a lot for the SNP's cause and now they've lost the referendum he's unlikely to be there for there as leader if they do get another chance so why not step down now? He could hang around for negotiations for new powers but honestly I expect that's going to end up largely being about the Tories trying to manoeuver Labour into public positions which will lose them Scottish votes while giving themselves an English powerbase.

Couldnt agree more. Salmond's well out of it. I predict Labour will get shafted down south while gaining little in Scotland.

Right, I was dubious. I think it was a Lord Ashcroft poll too and I wondered if the aim might be to dissuade the government from extending the franchise permanently.*

I do feel that 16 is a tad young myself. You're still a child at that age.

I know the Lib Dems have put lowering the voting age into their manifesto, and I believe Labour are also considering it.

Then they should have sent [Tony Blair] as a secret agent pretending to support Yes...

That would have been very, very funny.

I read somewhere that this was based in about 20 people, this pool is not very trustable.

I read that too. Too small a sample size to be meaningful.

I doubt either campaign could have afforded Blair, he's busy with the much more lucrative field of propping up Central Asian dictators.

:ack:

The collective IQ and insights of the regulars is mind blowing and the mods maintain strict order. There are so few places where you can have (or mainly read, in my case) troll-free, intelligent political discussions on the internet.

The mods are indeed quite proficient in keeping the amateur trolls off the forum and for professional paid trolls this forum is not too interesting.

It's very interesting to hear that the young demographic go for No. I would have thought the young ones would go mostly for Yes.

Parents' influnce? Or they have such nice and stable lives that they don't want change?

They didn't. Almost every poll I've seen has the younger voters going for Yes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29279384

A survey, commissioned by Conservative peer Lord Ashcroft, said 71% of 16 to 17-year-olds voted for Scotland to be independent and 29% voted against.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/scotland-referendum-who-voted-yes-4286743

71% of 16-17 year olds voted yes. A much smaller 27% of the 65+s voted for independence.

Archived