vile woman eats cake to prove fat people are evil!

BigFatCoward

I have my fingers crossed that day will come! Currently we are having no luck with eggs in any form but pancakes (neither boiled nor fried or scrambled) and carrots only if raw and not grated. Mentions of onion in food actually makes her cry (without even actually having been exposed to the onion itself!), as does mentioning chick peas.

I'll cross my fingers, too. I actually have to be preparing the onions to cry, but I sympathise! I know its hard, try not to stress too much, she'll expand her horizons eventually, I'm sure.

My mum used to make mashed potato faces, with carrot nose, peas for eyes, sausage smile, baked beans hair - at the time, I thought it was because she was fun!

after a couple of days they eat food and shut the fuck up is what i imagine happens!

If only real children were as easy as imaginary ones!

You don't even need particularly picky kids for catering to them to become a chore.

I have three kids, if I allow each of them 2 legitimate food preferences each and that's six ingredients I have to either exclude entirely or for some (and I don't think that's unreasonable. I don't eat stuff I truly hate why should they? Also kids do not always have the vocab to express why something is bothering them. As an adult I can say that textural issues with certain foods make me instantly gag, as a kid I said 'eeww I'm not eating that').

Add to that the fact that one of my kids is on medication that limits his appetite (dinner is frequently the only meal of the day he will eat at ALL) and I have to pay attention to make sure he doesn't lose weight. Along with just how disheartening it is to spend an hour or more preparing something only to have all of them refuse to eat it and no you wasted the time and money it took to cook, it's pretty understandable why many parents end up giving up and just feeding them stuff they know they like and will eat.

Oh, I agree, much better to make something they will eat, and give them tastes of new things when you have them, yourself.

Wow I must be really lucky with my pick eaters then. Because honestly my 9 yr old is the only tricky one to cater to and he usually just leaves what he doesn't like on the plate and eats extras of what he does like. But if worst comes to worst and they wont eat whatever I have cooked they can have a sandwich or fruit but that means no desert and they will usually eat dinner for the sake of an icy pole or ice cream!! Lol.

tonight I will put this all to the test though and make spaghetti marinara. I have a feeling only three out of the four will like it.

We went through a ziti with butter and a glass of chocolate milk phase from about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. She's 17 now and eats steamed veggies (no added salt or butter) and even raw oysters. You just gotta keep trying, be supportive but not overbearing, and have some patience.

My cousin and I used to swap vegetables. I hated carrots, still do, and she hated cabbage. We had to eat everything on our plates before we could leave the table, and so we thought we were so clever. Our mums were just happy we were having two portions of vegetables.

I used to hate not being able to leave the table until I'd eaten everything. You can't force people to eat stuff they don't like. I started to dread mealtimes, because even up until I was a teenager, I was still given carrots and forced to eat them.

after a couple of days they eat food and shut the fuck up is what i imagine happens!

Because starving a child for a couple of days/till they give in is not going to lead to problems?

ETA: Or.worse yet, the concerned "Gosh, she looks thin. Is she eating okay?" from the concerned friends/teachers

Because starving a child for a couple of days/till they give in is not going to lead to problems?

ETA: Or.worse yet, the concerned "Gosh, she looks thin. Is she eating okay?" from the concerned friends/teachers

you think someone loses noticeable weight in a couple of days? no, that does not happen.

secondly the child doesn't starve, they eat because they are hungry. people eat other people when they are hungry enough, they will certainly eat some fucking carrots.

you think someone loses noticeable weight in a couple of days? no, that does not happen.

secondly the child doesn't starve, they eat because they are hungry. people eat other people when they are hungry enough, they will certainly eat some fucking carrots.

So you imagine. In practice, this isn't always the case. I know someone who would go days without eating, rather than eating things they don't like. This person (my mam's cousins son) is extremely fussy, and its not for lack of their mother trying to get them to eat properly. She has. She's refused to buy the foods he will eat (in his case I believe it is sausage rolls of a specific brand, burgers, chips, biscuits and stuff like that) and gave him only proper food - vegetables, fruit, rice, pasta. He wouldn't touch it. He holds out. So, in your view, how long should she let him go without food before she gives in? That is the fatal flaw in this technique, it assumes the child's willpower will cave before they become ill. But children can be stubborn.

And I don't say this out of any particular defence for him, because his fussy eating annoys me to no end when I am with him. I just can't blame his mam for it, because she clearly does try to sort it

I'm an unrepentant finicky eater - started very young with dairy - lactose intolerant to a degree though this wasnt recognised so much.

My body's more a shop than a temple; management (me) reserves the right to refuse entry.

So you imagine. In practice, this isn't always the case. I know someone who would go days without eating, rather than eating things they don't like. This person (my mam's cousins son) is extremely fussy, and its not for lack of their mother trying to get them to eat properly. She has. She's refused to buy the foods he will eat (in his case I believe it is sausage rolls of a specific brand, burgers, chips, biscuits and stuff like that) and gave him only proper food - vegetables, fruit, rice, pasta. He wouldn't touch it. He holds out. So, in your view, how long should she let him go without food before she gives in? That is the fatal flaw in this technique, it assumes the child's willpower will cave before they become ill. But children can be stubborn.

And I don't say this out of any particular defence for him, because his fussy eating annoys me to no end when I am with him. I just can't blame his mam for it, because she clearly does try to sort it

More importantly perhaps, it's important to remember that children have underdeveloped brains and are inherently irrational as fuck.

Lyanna nuch sympathy. My son occasiinally refused dinner. By 5 he was quite capable of fixing himself a sandwich. I keft this option open to him at mealtimes ti keep myself sane. He never had much rhyme or reason to his refusals.

Good luck.

Also, I would imagine that for many parents of picky eaters they are just so sick of having to make meal time a battle. It is easy to say, if you don't eat what I make you, you don't eat, but putting that into practice could be exhausting on top of all the other stuff parents have to deal with. I know I will try my best to get my kid to eat a balanced diet, but also know I will just say fuck it on some things it if he is really stubborn.

We have a rule that they have to try a bite of everything on their plate (not finish it, not try it). This has led to success in getting one of my daughters to eat such exotic foods as macaroni and cheese. We have expanded our repertoire so she will eat chicken, beef, pork and mild white fish (preferably breaded, but at least she's eating fish). She'll eat carrots (at last!) if smothered in hummus, avocado, apples (that was a struggle, believe me), grapes (ditto), green beans (grudgingly), only occasionally blueberries, but not strawberries, potatoes in any form, sweet potato (unless in fry form - guess who does a lot of sweet potato oven fries), beets, rice, quinoa, broccoli, spinach (or any other leafy green), okra (fried or roasted), or tomatoes (unless in sauce form). I keep offering bites every time, so hopefully there will be a breakthrough. I figure she won't be 20 and a picky eater, and school lunches + peer pressure may help a lot of this. All that said, I don't want meal time to be a fight every night. It's not fun for anyone, so yeah, on some level you cater to it.

My youngest nephew is an very picky eater. His older brother was a pleasure to feed and would never say no to anything, even if it was something new, but this younger one can be an absolute nightmare at times. He's gotten better since going to school - he's nearly 9 now - but he's still a very fussy eater. I blame his mother - she just caved in when he was younger and gave him junk so that she wouldn't have to deal with the meal time screaming match.

As I said, he's gotten better since he started school, but it can still be an uphill battle with him at times.

More importantly perhaps, it's important to remember that children have underdeveloped brains and are inherently irrational as fuck.

Pretty much this. I find myself trying to apply logic with my 2 1/2 year old...no win situation. There are some things it can work for, but usually not.

Our munchkin is pretty picky...but we find the things he likes and around those keep on trying things he either hasn't had or prepare a different way.

... but not strawberries, potatoes in any form, sweet potato (unless in fry form - guess who does a lot of sweet potato oven fries), beets, rice, quinoa, broccoli, spinach (or any other leafy green), okra (fried or roasted), or tomatoes (unless in sauce form). I keep offering bites every time, so hopefully there will be a breakthrough. I figure she won't be 20 and a picky eater, and school lunches + peer pressure may help a lot of this. All that said, I don't want meal time to be a fight every night. It's not fun for anyone, so yeah, on some level you cater to it.

Zabz, my mom got us to eat rice by using that evil substance, sugar. She would add a bit of sugar and cinnamon to a a little bit of warm rice, so there was a kind of rice pudding effect, which got us to eat rice. Eventually, mix the rice with another liked food, like beef, and stop mixing the sugared rice.

It's odd. I work in a kindergarten with 18 kids of various ages (2-6) and not one of them is a picky eater. Obviously not all of them will always like everything (the parents cook for us, on a rota, so we get all sorts of stuff) but we have a rule that they have to at least try everything on their plate and we've very rarely had to do much persuading.

Lucky, lucky us, eh. I do definitely get the impression that some act up less at kita than they do at home, though. Certainly I know one was the other way - he'd always (after the obligatory bite) refuse to eat the meat in his spag bol, for example, only for one of my co-workers to go babysit him at home one time and see him chow down a massive bowl of it. She called him on it and since then, he's eaten everything no worries.

It's odd. I work in a kindergarten with 18 kids of various ages (2-6) and not one of them is a picky eater. Obviously not all of them will always like everything (the parents cook for us, on a rota, so we get all sorts of stuff) but we have a rule that they have to at least try everything on their plate and we've very rarely had to do much persuading.

Lucky, lucky us, eh. I do definitely get the impression that some act up less at kita than they do at home, though. Certainly I know one was the other way - he'd always (after the obligatory bite) refuse to eat the meat in his spag bol, for example, only for one of my co-workers to go babysit him at home one time and see him chow down a massive bowl of it. She called him on it and since then, he's eaten everything no worries.

I have a friend whose son will eat (almost) anything in kindergarten but eating at home is a struggle. So there's that.

Archived