Are selfie sticks tacky ?

Gneisenau

I don't personally take many selfies, but I enjoy seeing them from my FB friends. Many of these people I don't get to 'lay eyes' on but once a year, if ever. It's nice getting to see their faces. Makes me feel more a part of their lives, honestly.

Obviously, there are circumstances (like funerals) where they're in poor taste, and should be avoided, in my opinion. For some people, it's simply a mode of self-expression, and I'm fine with that.

funeral or toilet selfies (yes that's a thing) are the only two kinds of selfie that demonstrate a pure lack of class

also, taking selfies in front of sleeping homeless people (that's a white teenager thing...) smh

Selfies are the worst of the worst. You want to take a picture w/ someone because nobody is there to hold the camera? More power to you. You want to take a picture of yourself in the mirror just because? Barf. I'm sorry, but NOBODY wants to see that or cares. It's frankly just vain.

Exactly why I see selfies as an evolution in photo-taking.

You just couldn't take reliable selfies before digital cameras took over.

What? I literally have dozens of pictures of me with somebody that we took because nobody was there to take the pic. Selfies aren't an 'evolution. They've been around since you could hold a camera with one hand.

Obviously, there are circumstances (like funerals) where they're in poor taste, and should be avoided, in my opinion.

Or the people taking selfies in front of the Lindt Café during the Sydney Siege. That's a mentality I don't understand.

It's not often I see selfie pics on my news feed. And when I do they seem like really nice pictures of people I care about.

I can definitely see a use for a selfie stick. I don't have one.

But it would mean more hands on control over the picture you want to take. Rather than entrusting that to someone else.

Usually If I want a picture of a place with the people I'm with in it. I'm the one behind the camera.

I went for a trip around Australia. And of the 138 picture I took. I was in 2 of them. And that was because a friend went into my bag and took my camera and snapped some sneaky shots. And those 2 pictures are my favourite. Not because I was in them but who I was in them with.

Just of my cousin and I having a chat and a laugh while the sun set and Uluru in the background. I haven't seen my cousin since.

I did get some great shots otherwise. But it felt removed. Like a TV show I remembered watching. Rather than a experience I was apart of.

If I had a selfie stick then, there would probably be a lot more photos with me and the people and places. It would have made it a more personal thing to look back on and reminisce about.

And I'm not about handing my expensive camera.. Or phone... to some stranger. Or balancing it some place hoping I got the angle right so I get faces and background rather that boob or crotch or dirt shots. Depending on what happens to the camera before the timer goes off.

What? I literally have dozens of pictures of me with somebody that we took because nobody was there to take the pic. Selfies aren't an 'evolution. They've been around since you could hold a camera with one hand.

We're talking in relative terms; can you dispute that there are more selfies taken today than there were in the past?

Maybe I should have spelled it out.

"There has been an evolution in THE NUMBER OF selfies being taken thanks to digital cameras (and the internet)."

Selfies are the worst of the worst. You want to take a picture w/ someone because nobody is there to hold the camera? More power to you. You want to take a picture of yourself in the mirror just because? Barf. I'm sorry, but NOBODY wants to see that or cares. It's frankly just vain.

Pffft, get over yourself lol. 'Barf' bcus someone is taking a cute makeup selfie?? Purrrrlease.

Ummmm... what? I ask for selfie-type pics from people all the time. Seriously. I don't like chatting to a blank profile image when I interact with people on social apps.

And some level of vanity is more than ok.

Not sure where I fall on this spectrum, but in this day and age of cameras on everyone's phones and social media, how does one do these things, these selfies, and not be considered "tacky"? They're happening, so complaining about them is kind of ridiculous.

Pffft, get over yourself lol. 'Barf' bcus someone is taking a cute makeup selfie?? Purrrrlease.

Get over MYself? Is that supposed to be irony?

You want to take a selfie, go right ahead, just don't get defensive when someone (correctly) calls it out as vain.

Get over MYself? Is that supposed to be irony?

You want to take a selfie, go right ahead, just don't get defensive when someone (correctly) calls it out as vain.

You're being unreasonably harsh, imo. I love seeing selfies of my friends showing me the weight they've lost, or the workout progress they've made. Some of them live across the globe - I won't be able to see it otherwise. And Theda's makeup selfies are adorable. They're not vain; I'm getting to see my friend who lives on another continent.

Am I taking makup selfies or showing my abs (horrors!)? No. Do I enjoy seeing this glimpse into my friends' lives? Yes.

Lighten up and take a silly selfie of yourself, for pete's sake. :)

Selfie sticks and selfies are nothing new. I've been using an old fashioned 3 legged selfie stick for decades now - they are called tripods. I've also made frequent use of the timer on my camera my whole life which has allowed for "selfies". I don't really imagine I'd every purchase a selfie stick as I think its a bit too limiting and redundant but if people want to use them, I'm fine with it.

A question for the selfie-lovers: do you do it more for the pleasure of having a picture of yourself to remember a special moment by, or to upload them on to social media?

I personally do not take selfes, and to be on topic, find the idea of carrying around a stick just to be able to take one, impractical, but whatever floats one's boat. I do have a lot of photos of me or pictures that I took of other people/things that I like and I want to keep them as a nice memory (I am still angry with a certain person for accidentally deleting a really funny picture of me several years ago). However, I have very little photos that I want to share on the Internet. I do not presume to think I am interesting enough by far that anybody would enjoy seeing a photo of me on a daily basis, and I do not want to be a show-off.

So basically, I understand taking selfies to remember a moment/keep track of lost weight/admire oneself's makeup ... whatever. What I do not understand is uploading a lot of them on social media. Maybe I am weird like that, at least for my generation. :leaving:

Brilliant thought: Can the selfie stick also function as a weapon of sorts?

I carry a stick when I walk in the woods in case I run up on coyotes, wild hogs, dogs, etc. I would love to be able to beat them into submission and then take a selfie with them. Good times.

Archived