Favorite Kingsguard Member?

phbahia

I was just curious who would you pick? It can be from the past or the present and does not necessarily need to represent what the Kingsguard stands for (skill, honor, loyalty, and such). Feel free to pick whoever you want. Or maybe a rainbow guard member or something like that?

Personally my favorite is Arthur Dayne, I find the whole Sword of the Morning thing so cool.

The problem with Arthur Dayne is that he watched Aerys slaughter and torture people on a whim, and he did nothing.

This is why I pick Jaime Lannister because the one good deed he did for most of his life was saving hundreds of thousands of people from burning to death.

I hate Jaime for most of his other traits but killing Aerys was a good thing.

Ser Arthur Dayne does sound cool from what we know of him, but my vote goes to Ser Jaime Lannister.

Why: He's a complex character who turns out to be a guy who's just trying to do good (bar everything he does for or because of Cersei).

I wasn't too keen on him at the start (what happened to Bran and all) but he makes a good point when he speaks of the various and conflicting duties as a Knight (to his King, his Family and to the People) in relation to killing Aerys. Which duty do you stay true to when they come into conflict?

Barristan Selmy holds the duty to the King as paramount and as a member of the Kingsguard. Makes sense, however, Jaime sees it as much more complicated than that because he personally witnesses the evil and cruelty of the King he has sworn to serve. Which duty do you uphold when your King threatens to kill a great number of innocents and orders you to kill your father? Jaime chose to save Kings Landing by slaying a King who threatened to burn his people to ashes. In hindsight, you could say that this left the door open for more Kings who were arguably equal to or worse than Aerys. However, in the moment that he killed Aerys, he showed that he has the conviction to do what needed to be done to stop evil.

Jaime. Its absolutely mindblowing that he's the only member of the Kingsguard that KILLED the king. And he's STILL there, punching in under Barristan Selmy, going, "Morning fellas, is there any coffee left?" Day after DAY. And his sister gets an assist on killing the next king. Absolutely bonkers.

Archived