Lucifer - Fox Adaptation

RedEyedGhost

Yeah, it's not even worthy of being called an adaptation. If they didn't have 'based on characters from DC' in the ads, I'd not have realised it was supposed to be anything to do with it. Lucifer leaves Hell appears to be literally the only similarity, atm.

Which is a shame, because taken in its own right it looks fun in a cheesy sort of way.

That's too bad, but maybe now I'm glad I haven't read them because I agree with this:

Which is a shame, because taken in its own right it looks fun in a cheesy sort of way.

But really though, I am concerned with how much interaction there is with the cop lady. If this turns into a buddy cop show with the devil, I don't think I'll ever watch anything on Fox again.

The lead actually reminds me of Samael in Sandman Slim.

First look here. I haven't read the graphic novels, but how faithful does this look?

I haven't read Lucifer itself, but this take on the character doesn't strike me as anything like his counterpart in Sandman. This version looks fun, but I get the impression it will indeed be a "buddy cop show", which is bit of a waste.

I imagine the pitch meeting went something like this:

Producer A - Comic book adaptations are huge right now, what's something we can get our hands on?

Producer B - Well there's this story about how the Devil quits hell to become a piano bar owner in LA, where he deals with the dilemma of predestination vs. free will.

A - Sounds good. But how we take any of that philosophical mumbo jumbo and make it about the Devil joins up with an attractive, hard-nosed female detective to solve crimes in LA?

B - That's genius! We haven't seen a crime procedural where a weirdo teams up with a hot straight female cop in 15 minutes!

But really though, I am concerned with how much interaction there is with the cop lady. If this turns into a buddy cop show with the devil, I don't think I'll ever watch anything on Fox again.

This is 100% what it will end up being.

Producer A - Comic book adaptations are huge right now, what's something we can get our hands on?

Producer B - Well there's this story about how the Devil quits hell to become a piano bar owner in LA, where he deals with the dilemma of predestination vs. free will.

A - Sounds good. But how we take any of that philosophical mumbo jumbo and make it about the Devil joins up with an attractive, hard-nosed female detective to solve crimes in LA?

B - That's genius! We haven't seen a crime procedural where a weirdo teams up with a hot straight female cop in 15 minutes!

She is extremely attractive, so I'm happy that this meeting happened.

Heheheh - Sad but true. Of course you'd need Thor-level effects to do the comic justice.

If they can find a place for the Basanos I might be in. One of my all time favorite villains.

Going by the teaser, this could end up being a mindless and fun show, as long as one divorces their expectations from the comics. That said, for me it already has three marks against it.

1) Lead character is a snarky, womanizing snark snarker. I can appreciate this trope in limited amounts, but Lucifer sounds like he's going to be overwhelmingly and annoyingly snarky.

2) Police procedural formula. Maybe it will develop beyond this, but even if it does, fuck these shows in the eye. I hate police procedural shows.

3) Lucifer does not look like David Bowie.

2) Police procedural formula. Maybe it will develop beyond this, but even if it does, fuck these shows in the eye. I hate police procedural shows.

What about Law & Order? You can't hate Law & Order (unless it's SVU). Or Homicide. Most of today's procedurals are crap, but that's a product of lazy writing.

3) Lucifer does not look like David Bowie.

Yeah, but that's the major flaw of every TV show currently on the air. Why single this one out?

1) I don't care for Law and Order but I don't really dislike it. It's just there. I haven't seen Homicide, but it is on my list to watch. That said, it is a fairly old show.

I just don't like the case of the week style formula that dominates most procedural shows, whether it's cop, medical, or just generic law enforcement.

2) The artist who originally drew Lucifer in the comics based him off of David Bowie. Personally, I'd rather have a Bowie-fascimile than Generic Leading Actor Guy With Accent.

I don't like police procedurals. Law and Order is only something I watch if I'm in a place where L&O happens to literally be the only thing on tv or the only thing on tv in a language I can understand.

I've never heard of these comics so I'm looking at this with a fresh perspective. There is this show called The Messengers playing on the CW right now (it's horrible and it's been canceled) that has a Lucifer character. While checking out the pilot, I was thinking how I'm bored of Lucifer=terrible bad devil who only does terrible bad stuff and really wanted to see a different spin on Lucifer. So it's interesting to see this show pop up. But the idea of it being a police procedural just kills it. I'll likely check it out, but I doubt I could stick with it unless it's a completely different spin on police procedural.

I don't like police procedurals. Law and Order is only something I watch if I'm in a place where L&O happens to literally be the only thing on tv or the only thing on tv in a language I can understand.

I've never heard of these comics so I'm looking at this with a fresh perspective. There is this show called The Messengers playing on the CW right now (it's horrible and it's been canceled) that has a Lucifer character. While checking out the pilot, I was thinking how I'm bored of Lucifer=terrible bad devil who only does terrible bad stuff and really wanted to see a different spin on Lucifer. So it's interesting to see this show pop up. But the idea of it being a police procedural just kills it. I'll likely check it out, but I doubt I could stick with it unless it's a completely different spin on police procedural.

I think you might enjoy Milton's Paradise Lost :)

I just don't like the case of the week style formula that dominates most procedural shows, whether it's cop, medical, or just generic law enforcement.

I'm pretty sure case of the week is the definition of procedural.

Based off of the trailer, I'm really hoping that if they're really going with the police thing it will be a serial and the only case he's involved with the entire season is that one he's actually involved with, and it lasts the entire season. I have zero interest in watching Psych with the Devil, or The Mentalist with the Devil, or Castle with the Devil, or CSI with the Devil, or any of the many, many other iterations of that show.

I'm pretty sure I read that this is indeed a police procedural. I assume the novelty of having the devil solve crimes will wear off pretty quickly.

Any link on that?

Any link on that?

Can't actually find the press release that secondary sites like io9 or avclub base their assessment on, but they are pretty much in agreement on that. If the wording that Lucifer comes to LA "where he helps the LAPD to punish criminals" is accurate, that's probably not too far off. And it's being produced by Bruckheimer, who is apparently at least partly responsible for the CSI franchise (which I'm not familiar with at all, but seems to be very much a procedural).

REG: I wanted to leave some leeway in case of accidental over generalization.

However, some procedural shows do venture out into the untamed realm of serialized storytelling. Maybe Lucifer will too, but I'm not that anxious to find out.

Archived