Christopher Paolini

HALover9000

[quote name='LianeM' post='1743853' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.00']Pure unadulterated awesome.

Behold: [url="http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/eyeargon/eyeargon.htm"]http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/e...on/eyeargon.htm[/url][/quote]
That is unreadable.

I lived in Missoula, MT from '97 -'00 and Paolini lived just a little north of there up in the Paradise Valley or in Polson or somesuch. Anyway, I remember hearing of "Eragon" and how it was being marketed with the hook that it was written by a 15 year old or whatever. My reaction was that, if that's their gimmick, then I wouldn't be reading the book and, after hearing nothing good about it here and other places, I'm very glad I didn't. I did, however, make the mistake of seeing the movie on tv once. I think my eyes have almost recovered :stunned:

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1743955' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.00']I know that the conversation on this board is very cyclical, but it [i]still[/i] amazes me that we have this thread every six months.[/quote]
I think Rhaegar and Lyanna might be Jon's parents...
The Hound may still be alive.
Insert obligatory statement regarding the Hound and the Mountain being brothers.

[quote name='The Pita Enigma' post='1743984' date='Apr 3 2009, 16.22']I remember somebody would hold a tournament of who could read more of it out loud without laughing. Jim Theis has been even a greater contribution to fantasy than Terry Goodkind.[/quote]

I played that game once with a couple of friends. Got the idea from this board a while back. Very fun. Even more so after a few drinks. :rofl:

[quote name='Prince of the North' post='1743959' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.04']it was written by a 15 year old or whatever.[/quote]
18-year-old. He may have started writing it at 15, but it wasn't published (or print-on-demanded) until 2002. Considering that there have been other 18-year-old writers, it was a hell of a marketing job.

Read Brisingr a few weeks ago, actually. It was hilariously bad. I have not needed my Drizz't fix since, which is surprising. Usually I go a week without bad writing and starting tearing my head off.

[quote name='Chataya de Venoge' post='1745478' date='Apr 5 2009, 08.45']You know, it [[i]Eragon[/i], etc] may not be suitable reading for us - but my 11 year old son loves it.

And if it got one more kid into [i]reading[/i], and reading fantasy...then it's done a good thing, right?[/quote]

That is a good thing. If you're that age you don't care if it's a ripoff of older better works or that the prose is graceless, you're only in it for the fun. And it will then lead your son to bigger and better things.

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1746837' date='Apr 6 2009, 10.51']Honestly having an 11 year old like a book is awesome. Paolini will probably be your son's Eddings and Brooks, which I loved when I was 11 and did lead to bigger and better things. :)[/quote]

It was Dragonlance and Drizzt in my case...

[quote name='Poobah' post='1745509' date='Apr 5 2009, 07.44']Not if he still thinks it's good in 7 years time ;)

-Poobs[/quote]
How many books did you read at 11 still holds up even 5 years later? 3? 2?

The only book I read before 17 that I'd still consider revisiting is LotR/Hobbit.

I've never read Eragon (saw the movie; it was enough). If my son wanted to read it in 7 years, I wouldn't say anything. At 3.5, he's already well versed in Star Wars (:thumbsup:) so he may balk at Eragon's character lifting. Then again, maybe not. I loved Sword of Shannara even after reading LotR. It had everything that I loved about the former, so I didn't complain.

Paolini isn't Rowlings: his books aren't enjoyable by all ages. One day, he'll realize that. I kind of feel sorry for him when that happens. At least he's old enough to buy a bottle of scotch when it happens. ;)

Ugh, get him to read Eddings instead then. At least Eddings had some goddamn wit and humor. I mean, it was the SAME bit of humor every time, but at least it was there. I've taken dumps with more sparkle then Eragon.

[quote name='AverageGuy' post='1744494' date='Apr 4 2009, 04.42']18-year-old. He may have started writing it at 15, but it wasn't published (or print-on-demanded) until 2002. Considering that there have been other 18-year-old writers, it was a hell of a marketing job.[/quote]
Thanks for setting me straight :) Yes, that was probably the word of mouth around western Montana at the time and, iirc, some of the marketing that was going on - that Paolini [i]began writing it at 15[/i]. You're right about the fact that there have been many authors published at 18. Really nothing all that special about that.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1746881' date='Apr 6 2009, 11.23']I've taken dumps with more sparkle then Eragon.[/quote]

You're secretly Edward Cullen? :o

I dodged a bullet on this one. I wasn't necessarily planning on reading the book anyway because I knew it was YA. Still, I was going to see the movie, just because fantasy movies are not all that common. And, before I did, I was informed exactly how badly this book stunk, and didn't see the movie after all. And from I was later told of the movie, I am very glad I missed it.

Archived